PDA

View Full Version : I love recoil

samdweezel05
06-18-2011, 09:01 PM
That is the reason I have decided to take up bullet casting. My .454 Casull is hungry and my buddies .500 S&W loves the 700gr bullets. I will also be casting for my .45acp and also do some .45 colt loads for the .454. Down the road I will try some for the 9mm and maybe for the rifles but I need to figure this casting thing out first. My .454 Casull (yes it's a Taurus) has stood up to some very stout loads pushing a 250gr XTP at speeds nearing 2000 fps so I figure I would try some of the more adult bullets. So who else shoots for the love of carpal tunnel?

looseprojectile
06-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Go for it!
When I was in my twenties I really relished shooting several hundred rounds of hot loads in my super Blackhawk every day. Gawd I loved it. I enjoyed the ride with the heavy recoiling guns as long as it was fun and now I have graduated to lighter loads and smaller calibers. Maximum loads in .357 are not too much yet.
Fourteen grain loads of 2400 with a 265 grain cast boolit are still fun in the SBH.
I cringe a little when I see a factory .44 magnum cartridge. Those are not good for me even in a levergun.

The last four inch model 29 Smith I had crippled my right hand for a couple of weeks with just four or five rounds.
We old folks have to compromise on a lot of things as we age. I wish it was not that way.
When jumping out of a cabover truck gets to be a semi- controlled fall because your knees are gone you know that you are coming to the end of the trail.

Do it all while you can. I did!

Life is good

Life is good

looseprojectile
06-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Welcome to Cast Boolits.
We all would like to know a little more about you.
Like what part of the country or which country you live in. Sometimes a man needs a little local help with casting and loading and someone here is probably close to you.

Life is good

samdweezel05
06-19-2011, 09:52 AM
A little more about me you say? Well, my name is Phil I am 31 years old and I live in Upstate New York about 10 miles from Canada and 10 miles from Vermont. I am employed as a welder/diesel/heavy equipment mechanic on a good sized dairy farm. I have lots of hobbies like my mustang, my duramax diesel 2500HD, and a polaris Sportsman that likes mud. As far as the firearm/shooting sports, I build my own long range bench rest rifles and have been reloading for about 7 years. I also seam to be addicted to shot guns. I recently got a chance to load and shoot some 700gr bullets from Ranger Rick in a friends .500S&W and after that I was hooked on the cast Boolit thing. My casting equipment is ordered and I have a supply of WW's that is growing every day. Any other questions, just ask.

Whitworth
06-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I have a cure for recoil junkies. My .50 Alaskan revolver:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/50AKJRH.jpg

I too suffer from the aforementioned affliction, but be careful not to do permanent damage as you will pay the price down the road.

scb
06-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I too suffer from the aforementioned affliction, but be careful not to do permanent damage as you will pay the price down the road.

Amen. I can still hold my Contender and XP100 but can't hold a screwdriver or a file for more than about 30 seconds.

buck1
06-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Yes heavy recoil can really tear up your wrist and elbow. But I cant stay away from the big boys either.

leftiye
06-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Think "Arthritis"!

Changeling
06-19-2011, 06:17 PM
When you hear of guys having a hard time seeing as they used to or pain increasing tremendiously in the elbows shoulders you should start thinking about things that reduce those problems .

Seeing a doctor and SERIOUSLY discussing your problems will get you some answers! Being "blasie" about it will just mean it's going to get worse, but you know better don't you, LOL!

samdweezel05
06-19-2011, 06:43 PM
I have a cure for recoil junkies. My .50 Alaskan revolver:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/50AKJRH.jpg

That picture makes me smile and I would love to shoot it. My worst so far is a 700 gr bullet with 26gr of H-110 in a 500 S&W.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/samdweezel05/Guns/DSCN0907.jpg

ColColt
06-19-2011, 07:53 PM
That cartridge on the right looks like the boolit is upside down. Like recoil? Try the 460 Weatherby with a T-shirt on... but not from a bench.

Whitworth
06-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Food for thought!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/500Smithand50AK.jpg

The .500 Smith is on the left.....:bigsmyl2:

Frank
06-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Whitworth, have you tried SR4759 with the .50 Alaskan? How is that crimp holding up? It looks pretty light for such a powerful round. Have you fired one and checked to see if the others are backing out?

Lloyd Smale
06-20-2011, 06:24 AM
still do but not like i used to. 15 years ago it was nothing for me to go to the range with a couple 500s and a couple 475s and bench 3 or 4 hundred rounds of full power loads. Some of my buddys thought i was nuts. Probably was. As age catches up with me ive had corpal tunnel surgery on both hands. My middle nuckle on my right hand is permanently swelled.Is been operated on twice and proably with have to be opened up agian soon. Im trying to wait till winter so it doesnt interfear with my shooting as much. Ive been out of touch with the big guns for a couple years and when i break them out any more 50 rounds is plenty in a session with one. Any more and i get beat up and start to push into it. ( i hate using the work flinch when i comes to me) I do have a bit more tolarance to recoil then most. About the only gun that really gets on me with top end loads is my 50ak. Full power loads in it are about like getting beat up by a weight lifter using a baseball bat and mines in a rifle. I have no need to EVER shoot anything bigger then a 475 or 500linebaug out of a handgun. My buddy Al laughs and trys to shame me into shooting his 475 and 50o linebaugh maximums but no thanks to that and a BIG no thanks to a 50ak handgun!!!!!! youve obviously came equipted with a bigger set then me. Also ive shot kelly brosts 458 lott encore and afer two shots i handed it back to him with my nuckle pealed open. that was at a linebauh seminar a couple years back and i had just a couple weeks before it had one of the surgerys on it. that gun with full power loads is probably comparable to your 50ak and it was down rite bruttal

Jim
06-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Think "Arthritis"!

I know Arthur well. He's been my constant companion for the last four years.

Whitworth
06-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Whitworth, have you tried SR4759 with the .50 Alaskan? How is that crimp holding up? It looks pretty light for such a powerful round. Have you fired one and checked to see if the others are backing out?

With a couple loads we got some crimp pull, but in one case the round that was pulling had been in the cylinder when I reloaded and fired another cylinder full (save for that one round). It's a really violent revolver that weighs just under 4-lbs. Even with 4198 starting loads are over 50 grains of powder, so it really can't help but kick the snot out of you! Have not tried 4759. I think that instead of trying to tone it down too much, I will add some weight to the top in the form of a base and an Ultradot. Should help it a bit.

I love the .50 cals and am trying to assemble a complete collection of all of the .50s out there.

Frank
06-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Whitworth:
With a couple loads we got some crimp pull, but in one case the round that was pulling had been in the cylinder when I reloaded and fired another cylinder full (save for that one round). It's a really violent revolver that weighs just under 4-lbs. Even with 4198 starting loads are over 50 grains of powder, so it really can't help but kick the snot out of you! Have not tried 4759. I think that instead of trying to tone it down too much, I will add some weight to the top in the form of a base and an Ultradot. Should help it a bit.

I love the .50 cals and am trying to assemble a complete collection of all of the .50s out there
I don't know how a crimp like that will hold that bullet. Maybe you are using Super Glue to hold it. My Lee's are pulling out of the groove with one shot in the .475. Hopefully the new boolit will fix that. SR4759 has shown in the 45/70 to be very consistent but in that combination, it will probably still give you recoil. I was suggesting it in terms of accuracy. What is your load? Have you tried it off the bench?

Whitworth
06-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Frank, I will have to look up the load data as off the top of my head I cannot recall. I have shot it more off of the bench than any other way! The last session I had with it before a hunt, with the intention of hunting with it (I did, just didn't encounter any hogs that night), I shot 25 rounds off of the bench to sight it in. It was a brutal session to say the very least.

Char-Gar
06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
When you are in your mid to late 60s and have so much arthritis in your hands and wrists from shooting sixguns with heavy recoil, that you can only shoot 22s and 38s with comfort, you will look back at the recoil addiction when you were young and wonder how you could have been that foolish.

I am not trying to be hard on you, just give a heads up from a Senior shooter who has been down the road before you. I am not the only one, there are plenty of us who wish we were wiser when we were younger in our choice of handgun loads. Just saying.......

ColColt
06-20-2011, 07:08 PM
I am not trying to be hard on you, just give a heads up from a Senior shooter who has been down the road before you. I am not the only one, there are plenty of us who wish we were wiser when we were younger in our choice of handgun loads. Just saying.......

Amen and amen! Moreover, in most every thing else as well.

bigboredad
06-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I too am a recoil junkie. I do shoot lite loads abut get bored very quickly. I've even tried to shoot .22 again. but without the big bang and the solid thump of a big chunk of lead hitting the target I would rather just practice dry fire drills

white eagle
06-21-2011, 02:26 PM
I hear ya
my all time favorite is a 340 gr boolit brought to life by
a relatively healthy dose of H-110
something about watching the berm come to life is exciting

Whitworth
06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't get much satisfaction when the firearm in use doesn't beat me up at least a bit! :bigsmyl2:

stubshaft
06-21-2011, 03:59 PM
+1 - On a 50 Alaskan. I usually shoot a 580gr LFN out of my Encore at 1750fps.

Whitworth
06-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Dang! And if that doesn't get your attention, you're probably already dead!:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

bigboredad
06-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Ok I'll be the first to admit it as I am quite sure there are many like me the .50 Alskan looks wicked cool but I am getting old enough that pain has become something other than a slight nuisance and I am not man enough for the 50 Alskan. But It would be fun to see the dr's face when you tell them how you got the big gash in your forehead and that alone is almost worth it to shoot once almost:redneck:

ColColt
06-21-2011, 05:02 PM
You guys sure have a lot more sand than I do. My hat's off to you-over my heart.:)

samdweezel05
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
You guys sure have a lot more sand than I do. My hat's off to you-over my heart.:)

I also put about 20,000 rounds through a .22 every year as well so I am not totally about the recoil. I just like it to shoot them to there max potential.

tek4260
06-22-2011, 07:26 AM
And to think, some complain about the recoil from a 329PD....

Whitworth
06-22-2011, 07:31 AM
And to think, some complain about the recoil from a 329PD....

Yeah, that always makes me chuckle! I tested one a while back and ran the hottest and heaviest loads through it that I could get my hands on and it really wasn't bad at all. It's all relative.......

Groo
06-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Groo here
Some time ago I got to shoot a special 50 Al..
This one was throated for 50BMG bullets at about 1200fps...
THAT is my personal limit...

1bluehorse
06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I think some of you guys need to get back on your meds..:kidding: What some of you fellas call "recoil tolerence" I call "pain tolerence," and I don't care who coined the phrase"pain don't hurt", it does, or they wouldn't call it pain. If you like the feeling of something slamming into your hand hard enough to hurt why not just punch the brushguard on your pickup??:smile::smile: I've hurt myself enough accidentily over the years causing some permenent damage that I don't feel the need to do it intentionally...I'm just having fun with you all, but truth is a full house 45 colt Ruger load is about all I can handle any more and not many of those either..man I'm sure glad they came out with Trailboss..:lol:

P.S. they have some stuff out now that will also LOWER the testosterone level..:p

samdweezel05
06-22-2011, 12:48 PM
If I found it to be painful, I wouldn't do it. Painful is when you free recoil a .300 RUM with a 210gr VLD over 96gr of H1000 from the bench. Not sure what I was thinking but when it happened it made my eyes go blurry and my right hand went numb. I couldn't even close my rifle case with out help from another range member. For me it's about the action that happens down range when the slug of choice interacts with the target. Rarely do we shoot at paper with any of the big stuff.

x101airborne
06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
My drill instructor had a drill for those people shooting the 50 alaskan "Loud and thunderous sound to your front.... BOOM!!!!........" Then we all hit the deck holding what manhood we had left. That is actually a nuclear attack drill, but kinda the same thing

ColColt
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
P.S. they have some stuff out now that will also LOWER the testosterone level..:p

Yep, it's called age....maybe time should be called "Ancient Age".

35remington
06-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Don'tchall worry. Your time is coming, and sooner than you think. Or want.

leadman
06-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I was a diesel mechanic also in my younger days. Also liked shooting large caliber guns. 29 surgeries later, 8 of those to my hands with 3 joints lost I no longer do that.

The effects of recoil are cumulative over time. Protect your hands with padded shooting gloves
and your elbows if shooting off the bench with pads.

I also found a 'smith that makes a tremendously effective brake for a reasonable price. Have these installed on 4 of my guns. Contender 6.5 TCU, 30-30AI, Encore 6mm PPC and 7mm Rem mag. The barrels barely move when the guns are fired now. The pistols I barely hold on to the grip when shooting off the bench now.

I can see the bullets hit the target with the 6.5 and 30-30AI. The 6PPC and 7mm mag move sideways just a little.

Have fun but take care!

RugerSP101
06-26-2011, 12:37 PM
"I love recoil"

I used to.
Then I bought a Thompson Center Contender new in the 80s in 30/30 with a 10 inch barrel.
I like recoil a lot less now :D

I actually watched a grown man tear up after shooting that gun :D

RugerSP101
06-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Ugh...that brings back memories.
I had the same style TCC but different wood.
Great gun overall.

ColColt
06-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Best I recall, the worse pistol I ever shot for pain was a TC in 44 Magnum. It was like opening your hand and someone whacking it with a baseball bat. It belonged to a shooting compadre and after three rounds I gave it back to him and continued shooting my lowly and less painful M29.

songdog53
06-27-2011, 09:19 AM
AS age goes along have found less recoil is better. Perhaps if lived where were Grizzlies or large brown bears would have need for 50 caliber but even the biggest hogs fall victim to the lowly 44mag. Old hands and joints don't react well to heavy recoild anymore. But to each his own and enjoy and be safe.