PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been sorry you put a peep on?

grubbylabs
06-18-2011, 07:34 PM
I am thinking about a peep sight and possibly a high viz sight on my Win 94 AE .444. But I am not sure how much I will like it. I have one on my 54 cal BP and I like it so far. but I am not sure about putting one on my lever.

Any input would be appreciated.

Grubbylabs

OBXPilgrim
06-18-2011, 08:10 PM
The only thing I had every regretted was not getting one sooner. It's always been much better than any rear blade sight.

mack1
06-18-2011, 08:46 PM
The only thing I had every regretted was not getting one sooner. It's always been much better than any rear blade sight.

+1 Most of my levers wear peeps they are much faster for me.

grubbylabs
06-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Is the Williams the more popular one? Is there a less expensive one that works just as well, or even better?

izzyjoe
06-18-2011, 09:09 PM
the williams 5D is cheapest one you can get, but it does require a screw driver if you want to shoot diff. loads. the others have finger adjustments, so if you only shoot one certain load you will be well served with the 5D. i have have 3 of them and i love them!

Canuck Bob
06-19-2011, 12:31 AM
I regretted taking my peep off and installing a scope. The scope was nice on my 444, a 2.5X Leupold. But the rifle carried horribly. I took the scope off and went back to my Williams Foolproof with the small screw adjustment rather than target knobs. Nothing carries as nicely as an iron sighted lever action. Besides most of the fun is getting close enough to use a peep sight for me.

Artful
06-19-2011, 03:15 AM
If you don't need optical help the peep is one of the best things you can add to lever gun.

Four Fingers of Death
06-19-2011, 06:19 AM
It is not as so you have to drill the action or anything, already drilled. If you don't like it (very unlikely) it is an easy matter to return it to normal.

btroj
06-19-2011, 06:51 AM
What isn't to like?

As FFD said, if you don't like it then you can take it off. No harm in trying. All I will say is that all my levers have a receiver sight on them, except the one with a scope.

Bret4207
06-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Never regretted adding a peep, not once! I have regretted misplacing the original sight when it came time to sell though.

Bass Ackward
06-19-2011, 08:18 AM
<<Have you ever been sorry you put a peep on?>>

I have never regretted putting one on cause they can come off just as easily. And I do it every once in awhile.

I have regretted TAKING a peep once. Ended up marrying her.

Four Fingers of Death
06-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Never regretted adding a peep, not once! I have regretted misplacing the original sight when it came time to sell though.

Those sneaky little critters have a way of going to ground don't they?

I have a Rossi92 SS 44Mag. To get it to shoot cowboy loads at 25-50 yards, I had to remove the elevator in the sight. I remember saying to myself 'I'll put it there so I can find it easy later!'

Famous last words. I have had the opportunity to sell it several times (I love my 357, but am not overly fond of this rifle), but both guys turned their nose up at the missing elevator blade. I have asked two dealers to order the part in, but they never bothered to get one in. I think I wil have to get an old Hacksaw blade, the Dremel and a file and fabricate one.

dnepr
06-19-2011, 09:46 AM
nope love peeps , under low light conditions when hunting scopes can be better but other than that peeps are great

waksupi
06-19-2011, 10:38 AM
I love peeps. Even with my poor eyesight, I can do good work with them.
I like the target knobs for target work, but find they are somewhat easy to get tweaked off setting while out in the mountains hunting, so an eye has to be kept on that.

Junior1942
06-19-2011, 11:46 AM
+??? on the I love peeps. I also like Williams peeps and their Fire Sights. That thing glows like an LED.

Geraldo
06-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Have you ever been sorry you put a peep on?

No, never.

Hurricane
06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
It depends on your eyes. If you cannot see the iron sights then there is no choice but to use a scope. The peep and the scope are equal in accuracy. The peep is lighter, smaller, never fogs up, never gives you a scope cut, and is not hurt if you drop the rifle. I use both peep and scopes of various rifles. Williams and Lyman are both good. Also take a look at Skinner Sights to get a small, tough as nails peep sight and he also makes front sights including sourdough style sights custom to your needs. XS-Sightiing systems also has a peep and front sight made especially for lever action rifles.

What kind of shooter are you? If you like to try out lots of new loads get a peep with easy adjustments, the Williams Fool Proof or the Lyman. The adjustment screws or knobs make it quick and easy to make percision adjustments. If you like to get on load and use it for everything then the Williams 5D, the Williams Guide sight, the Skinner Sight, or the XS sight would be perfect for you. These have trial and error adjustments but once you find the proper sight adjustment you can lock it in forever or until you decide to change your load. I use the Williams Guide peep on a muzzleloader.

There are several other sight makers who have peep sights as good as the sights listed above, I just can't remember all of the makers. Look at Brownells, Midway USA, Mid South, Natchez, and others to find other sights to consider.

Philngruvy
06-19-2011, 06:29 PM
How would you compare the effectiveness of a receiver mounted peep sight vs. a tang mounted sight? Is the receiver mounted sight better or not as good as a tang sight?

timkelley
06-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Peep rear and a high viz front almost makes up for the old eyes.:smile::smile:

waksupi
06-19-2011, 08:48 PM
How would you compare the effectiveness of a receiver mounted peep sight vs. a tang mounted sight? Is the receiver mounted sight better or not as good as a tang sight?

Receiver sight isn't as fragile, and will be in proper position for a fast shot.

btroj
06-19-2011, 09:22 PM
That is how I see it too Waksupi. I think of a tang sight as a target type of sight. The receiver is better for everyday use and hunting in particular. I think of tang sights as being more fragile.

Get the receiver sight, you will not regret it. Ever.

helice
06-20-2011, 01:05 AM
I put a tang on a Trapper Winchester to extend the sight radius but I confess they are more fragile. My favorite peep is the Steve Young safety replacement sight on an .45 Colt LSI Puma.

Four Fingers of Death
06-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I prefer reciever sights for my peeps, but have been involved in cowboy action, so have avoided them on my levers recently. On Skinner's site, there is a pic of a 375H&H Mauser with a very simple peep. Looks like it screws into the scope mount holes. Interesting project.

Freischütz
06-20-2011, 06:08 PM
I prefer receiver sights to tang sights. I've found receiver sights are easier to adjust and harder to knock out of adjustment. Also, receiver sights don't interfere with your thumb and hand position on the stock.

Ilwil
06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
I had a Marbles tang sight installed on m Marlin .38-55, one of the best things I have done to a rifle. That long rear-front sight ratio, combined with a great load I have for it, makes it consistantly the best, most consistant tight-grouper that I own.

Four Fingers of Death
06-20-2011, 11:51 PM
I have a 30/30 Win94 Classic with 24" Octangular Bbl, that would be a candidate for a tang sight. Apart from that sort of gun, a reciever would be a better bet in most cases.

jlchucker
06-26-2011, 01:55 PM
To answer the original question, No! Now that I'm an old geezer, those receiver sights go a long way to postpone the ultimate hell--i.e, a scope.

para45lda
06-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Put a Lyman tang sight and a taller front sight on my Marlin 1894CAS. Been shooting Cowboy with it ever since. I unscrew the diopter and just look through the (large) hole for up close work, depends on the targets.

It appears fragile (and probably is compared to a receiver sight) but mine's seen plenty of abuse and its not bent.

Short answer: Nope.

EDK
06-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Receiver sight isn't as fragile, and will be in proper position for a fast shot.

There was a LYMAN tang sight on my 44 Cowboy rifle when I bought it used for $400...sure looks good, but a LYMAN 66 (especially an older all steel version) is a lot faster and more durable to me. If you watch regularly, you can get WILLIAMS 5-D models off eBay for around $20 plus shipping. Set it for your using load and you're good to go. I'd rather have the LYMAN 66 on MY personal rifles, but the WILLIAMS is good enough for the "beaters/loaners" that my step children and grand children borrow for deer season....h*** of a lot better than the factory open sights for "once a year shooters" too.

:redneck::cbpour::Fire:

luckyjim
06-28-2011, 08:17 PM
My first try at tang sights I shot a great buck... but clumsy it is... when you lever in a new round you rerap your thumb around it... you can make it work and it looks old school cool! I even put a receiver sight on my model 70.... they all work! get one now and be ready for fall...

robertbank
06-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I put a Skinner peep on my Rossi and couldn't be happier. Next up a FO on the front.

Take Care

Bob

MH05
06-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I wasn't sure if I would like them or not either, put a marbles tang sight and a brass bead front on a Rossi 92, love it. Very accurate as well

bigted
06-29-2011, 11:09 PM
never took off a peep. got a tang standup sight on my 1885 winchester but took it off for the reassons listed here...pretty flimsy for my taste in the brush.

here is what three of my rifles wear and for the ranges hunted they work super and once adjusted for a load...they dont ever move...period!

it is this...take a marples FULL buckhorn rifle sight and remove the small insert in the bottom of the curl. now you have a perfect almost full circle thru which you can peer and center your front in for a sturdy peep style sight. when you want some height adjustment then put the front bead rite in the top curl at the top of the horns where they almost touch and walla...more yardage for the bigbores...444's 45-70's 50-70's and so on.

another thing i love about this settup is that it moves into the vintage look that no other sight will give with the sturdyness of this settup. the handleability of the lever is enhanced with this sight and the looks are very cool to boot.

try it...bet you like it.

when you want target sights then install the tang sight and shoot for yardage...when your done with the target work then the buckhorn is there waiting for you when the hunting fields are the thing to go to.

Matthew 25
06-29-2011, 11:39 PM
I just put an XS ghost ring and scout mount on my Marlin GG. The stock irons were fugly, but shot very well. I put a 2x leupold scout on, shot 2" groups. Took the scope off and tried the new XS sights, group went to 1". I think they are no faster for me, I really think I could acquire a target with a standard 3x scope on a 308 as fast as I could with peeps on a lever, but I haven't actually timed it. I would recommend trying a peep, it's kinda fun.

northmn
06-30-2011, 05:40 PM
I have had a Williams 5-D on my 30-30 Marlin for at least 3 years. Using the same load I ahve never had to touch it. Every year it stays sighted in. I have been thinking about getting a red or green sight for the 38-55 for poorer light. I have another 5-D sight on my 32-20 and it stays zeroed in also.

DP

shawnsmc
06-30-2011, 11:38 PM
My number one deer gun for thick cover is a win. 94 trapper 30-30 with a old lyman peep with a fiber optic front sight. The bright front sight really helps when your aiming into dark shadows, really early morning, or late evenings. Last year I jumped a nice buck and was able to quickly engage and shoot it while it was still running. I would not have been able to make that shot with a scope or with the buck horn iron sights. If your looking to really speed up your target acquisition get a peep. The only other sight as fast would be a red dot sight.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

HDS
07-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Is the Williams the more popular one? Is there a less expensive one that works just as well, or even better?

With the gunsmiths discount on brownells the Williams FP is really cheap, like 55 bucks. For me personally I also had the euro-usd conversion rate which brought it down to like 35 euros for me. Thats a cheap price for a good sight.

Swede44mag
07-01-2011, 09:45 AM
When I was young my father bought me a bolt action .22 with a rear peep sight and front blades that would swing down for a different choice. It had the finger grooves and reminded me of some sort of military training rifle. It was stold when I was arround 20 or so. That .22 was the most accurate .22 I have ever owned that had open sights.

Since then my vision is not so good I can't see the rear sight clear anymore and am considering a Peep for my Marlin 45-70 Lever Eveloution.

Ed in North Texas
07-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Been using aperture/receiver/peep rear sights for over 50 years. If I was only shooting in heavy brush, it would be the only sight I'd use until I couldn't see the front sight with my glasses any longer. Open country they are still good, but a scope can help (focus on both the front sight and a distant target gets harder with the years).

Mavrick
07-02-2011, 02:19 AM
I have an M94 Winchester .25/35 Imp with a Redfield that has a Merit adjustable aperature, an M71 Winchester (Browning) .375/348 Imp with Williams, and am building an M92 Winchester (Rossi) .256 Magnum with Lyman tang-mounted peep.
Peeps are fast, and sturdy, not to mention...light. They are aww-summ! I've never regretted getting them. They are irreplacable where they are needed. A lever-gun is the best place for them.
My eyes are not so good anymore, but I've used them (the eyes AND the peeps) for so long, I'm used to them.
Yes, I have scoped rifles, too.
I'm gonna try that Hi-Viz, too!
Have fun,
Gene

Canuck Bob
07-02-2011, 03:49 PM
One thing I'm about to add to all my rifles due to eyesight issues is a post style front sight. The little beads are getting too hard to see anymore.

6pt-sika
07-02-2011, 04:59 PM
I did the peep/tang sight thing on all my lever rifles I was shooting cast in for a number of years !

Now I have gone to older Weaver , Redfield and Marlin scopes on all of my cast bullet lever guns except for one that has a new Redfield 3-9 .

mustanggt
07-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Got a Skinner on an 1894 and one on a 95 Marlin. Simple to install and use. Good quality. Have a 99 Savage with a Williams. It works well.

adrians
07-03-2011, 05:57 PM
my mod 94 (mfg 1954) loves the williams and so do my old eyes.
on a side note how come all tang sights iv,e seen for this mod (lyman ,marbles ,ect )sell tangs sights for these but the tang on the stock has only one mounting screw hole,do you have to d/t forward hole or just do without a tang sight and stay peeping? ,
i don,t have a problem d/t another hole but some of the tang sights are "vintage " and have two mounting holes ,,,, i don,t get it.:evil::confused::evil:.
have a great 4th and be safe.[smilie=w:

Four Fingers of Death
07-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Looks like the 94 I had in the late 60s, early 70s. I fitted a Williams FP to mine as well. Great set up.

I have a 1908 made Winchester 92 in 25/20. It has a replacement barrel and two holes on the side where a reciever sight was fitted previously. As it is not original, I must get a Williams or Lyman for it. I gotta start using it! I have 5000 gas checks and only one 25Cal rifle!

Prairiewolf
07-10-2011, 01:24 AM
I have Lyman, Marbles, Williams, and now Skinner sights. I just recently put the Skinner on an 1895 Marlin Cowboy and I sure like it. It looks like it belongs there, it's not as apt to get banged around while carrying as a tank sight, and it's real nice to shoot with it. And not much $$$. But I sure do like the Lymans and Marbles too. No, you'll not regret a peep sight!

ricksplace
07-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I have peep sights on several of my guns, bolt, lever and single shot. For a real treat, change your front sight to a globe with interchangeable inserts. Your eye wants to inherently center all the rings, with the target in the middle.

Grapeshot
07-10-2011, 01:00 PM
I am thinking about a peep sight and possibly a high viz sight on my Win 94 AE .444. But I am not sure how much I will like it. I have one on my 54 cal BP and I like it so far. but I am not sure about putting one on my lever.

Any input would be appreciated.

Grubbylabs

I put a peep on my 1876 Winchester and found that it interfered with my grip and the sight would get in the way of the bolt as I levered it back. I have kept the Lyman globe sight I installed up front and have gone to the the Smith Enterprises' folding Ladder sight.