PDA

View Full Version : mold prices

tuckerdog
06-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I just looked at lymans web site and was shocked to see the price of a dbl cavity mold @ 81.25$ then buy handles and top punch. Guess I'll not buy anymore lyman molds. I cast primarily because I enjoy the hobby but when the price becomes that high it becomes a situation in which I cannot enjoy it as much as I'd like. I know the price of materials is going up but I also haul steel and other items for a living, the price of materials has not gone up so much as that to raise the price that much.

I'm sure someone will try to justify the price increase but as I said I haul all kinds of steel, iron, copper, and aluminum and often see the invoice and the price of the materials has not justified that size of an increase over the last time I bought a lyman mold 61.95[smilie=b:

Blammer
06-18-2011, 06:58 PM
wow! for $85 you can get a NOE 4 Cavity and really good workmanship and great guarantee to boot! :)

Baron von Trollwhack
06-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Just make sure what you absolutely want in a mould in terms of design and maker, consider used ones or similar designs, consider customs if the price is close. If the Lyman or other brand you buy does not produce quality, fuss at the maker. Shop the major vendors too. BvT

deltaenterprizes
06-18-2011, 07:04 PM
The prices on the Lyman site are full retail and any of the mail order reloading supply companies can usually beat those prices, Try Graf's, Midway, Natchez and Midsouth.

lesharris
06-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Order from supply houses,prices are cheaper and some have good deals on free/reduced shipping.

06-18-2011, 08:48 PM
The Swappin' and Sellin' sub-forum is always full of bargains. And, who better to do business with than our fellow members?

Also, older, used moulds are available at that world famous auction site, and can be had for a song, if one is patient. I just bought a barely used/never used Lyman two-cavity 358495 for less than $20.

Ben
06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Blammer :

wow! for $85 you can get a NOE 4 Cavity and really good workmanship and great guarantee to boot!

I couldn't have said it better....................

Changeling
06-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Blammer :

wow! for $85 you can get a NOE 4 Cavity and really good workmanship and great guarantee to boot!

I couldn't have said it better....................

PLUS! You won't have to send it back to "LYMAN" and be told it meets there specifications, LOL:Fire:

white eagle
06-19-2011, 06:04 PM
you can always buy a Lee mold

Heavy lead
06-19-2011, 06:13 PM
One should never say never, but I can't see myself buying a mould that is not NOE, Mihec, Mountain Molds, Accurate Molds, or BRP, they are all too good, and the prices too close to RCBS or Lyman to quibble, and you won't get a dud.

MikeS
06-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Don't forget, raw materials are not the only cost. Lyman is a larger company than most of the custom mould makers, and they have more employees, which means more expense. They probably have to pay union wages to their people, and might have had an increase in salaries, or other costs which made them go up in price. I'm not saying that the price increase wasn't totally arbitrary, it might have been, I'm just saying that it's hard to know what their expenses are.

badbob454
06-20-2011, 02:14 AM
also wouldn't a cutting cherry, wear out faster on steel molds ?or am i speaking with ignorance ?

MGySgt
06-21-2011, 04:34 PM
I have most of the RCBS/Lyman moulds that I will ever buy. Lyman moulds normally come out a little undersized unless you are using lineotype and we mostly use WW or WW with some tin added. I don't feel like paying 50-70 dollars for a mould and then have someone else machine out the driving bands to make it fit.

When has Lyman brought out a new mould/caliber?

It is a shame that Lyman is the oldest moluld maker in existance today and they just haven't stayed up with what we cast boolit shooters want/need.