PDA

View Full Version : Different Scope Questions (Pistol)

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Howdy!

Since you all were so helpful in helping me to make the final decision on purchasing a scope for my rifle . . . I thought . . .

My plans for this gun is target shooting (steel or paper), and to carry it while out chasing bunnies with my 12 ga . . . mostly the Jack Rabbits, as they take off running at 40 - 60 yards, and will stop at 80 - 100 yards out and sit for a bit . . .at 40 yards I can blast them with my shotgun, but once they get past 50 yards . . . not much chance . . . if I should get lucky and see a coyote at 100 yards or so . . . I'll also shoot it!

missionary5155
06-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Greetings
I have hunted with scopes and generally a 2x is all I need as I hunt woods & river bottoms. BUt for shooting at 100 yards I like a 4 power.. so those 1-4 x are nice having that versitility. I have never had a more power than 4x on a handgun. I just do not see me hunting that far out. But a 2-7 would not be all that bad..
It all to me ends up with I do not want a scope that is bigger than the gun. And price.. I really see no sence in buying what I will not use or need.
Mike in Peru

Doc Highwall
06-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I have the Burris 2x7x with the AO for hunting. The scope will be on 2x 99% of the time but you never know what might come up and gives me the option for more power. I figured that just because it is a big game caliber, 6.5mm BR, 7mm BR, and 375 Winchester that I could load it with a lighter bullet and load for small game and get double duty from it.

I also have three of the Burris 3x-12x40mm AO with target knobs for range shooting.

I think that today's variable power scopes are a lot better then 20-30 years ago and prefer them to fixed power scopes in most cases.

I also like to shoot with iron sights but there comes a time in our lives that the eyes are not what they use to be, and we need some help seeing.

This is why I like low power optics as they are closer to the the human eye for magnification. I like the the Ultra Dot sights with variable size dots and brightness settings. There are also times when I need just a little magnification and the low power scope fills this.

canyon-ghost
06-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Here's where the wagon is going to crash! I shoot Leupold 4-12 AO scopes on my contenders, the ones that are recoil-light. http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/2007079-1.jpg
With calibers that are 22 hornet up to 32 and 30 carbine, we shoot the 100 yarders with a rifle scope. But, for a 222, you might want a pistol scope. I have no idea how hard it kicks, wouldn't want to see it knock you cap off! Anyway, my thought is, why not enjoy what you're doing and go to 10-12 power scopes? Most of mine are in that order and I can spot my own target without a spotting scope. There's something to be said for seeing clearly to 300 yards (regardless of your prescription bifocals). http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/32-20withscope.jpg
32-20 with rifle scope, 100 meter cartridge, my favorite.
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/7mmfireforms002.jpg
7mmTCU, Burris 3-12 pistol scope AO, 200 yard cartridge in lead.

justingrosche
06-21-2011, 02:46 PM
This is my 45-70 Super 14 with a Burris 1.5x4. If I do my part and have a steady rest, I can hit a playing card at 100 yards with it, almost every time.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_51744e00e6db55c00.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1263)

Intel6
06-22-2011, 04:25 PM
I have a fixed 2x on a .44 Mag revolver and it is adequate. On a 357 Max and 30-30 TC barrel I have fixed 4x scopes and they work decent. On my super 14" in .22 Hornet I have a 7x Burris which is nice and on my Anschutz Exemplar pistol in .22 Hornet I have the Burris 2x7. Basically on the smaller calibers you want the higher magnifications so I woudl say the 2x7 or higher would be good ont he .222 barrel.

Neal in AZ

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Wow! You all surprise me!

I was concerned with the extra weight of the bigger variable scopes ... Is this not a problem?

Remember while out hunting I will mostly be shooting off hand.

Doc Highwall
06-23-2011, 09:03 AM
For shooting off hand 2X would be the max power I would use.

A lot of practice would help in acquiring the sight picture.

The Ultra Dot sights have unlimited eye relief and with zero magnification will help in off hand shooting.

justingrosche
06-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Here is a pic of my 44BH with a red dot.
For carrying the beast around, this is one of the members products. I havent ordered one yet, but it looks like a good product.
qh-holsters.com

Alan in Vermont
06-23-2011, 08:47 PM
I had a Leupold 4X on one of my Contender tubes for a while, the eye relief was too short to allow a good solid offhand stance. I'd sort of like to find a 2X to try but as I recall they are still marginal for offhand shooting. I may go back to iron sights to see if my eyes still work well enough for them.

buck1
06-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Dont over look the Bushnell Trophy pistol scopes. I have several on some bog boomers and they hold up fine. You can get a 2x6 for about $170ish. I have them on .243,308,270,338JDJ#2. 0 trouble. My 2x7 burris is quite heavy next to the bushnell.

canyon-ghost
06-26-2011, 02:12 AM
123. Diesel Benz : my big scopes are all aluminum alloy, they weigh ounces atop a firearm that weighs 4 pounds! See how that makes it a non-issue? Modern day scopes are super light and don't make a lot of difference except that you must get used to carrying them without damage. Takes more patience not to get them all dinged up and such.

In fact, mine are lapped in so the rings fit tight without marking the tube. Then loctited to stay permanently in place. You can pick the gun up by them if you like, it's a lightweight handle of sorts.
Ron
Oh, ye of little faith! I only shoot offhand!

Lloyd Smale
06-27-2011, 05:54 AM
ive shot sub one inch 100 yard groups with a 2x leupold on my 7 waters.

bobthenailer
06-27-2011, 10:04 AM
IMO for off hand shooting ! NOT RESTED and NO TACO hold ! a 2x is about perfect! or a variable 1x4 or 2x7 you can use the higher magnfication if resting the handgun. with a fixed 4x the field of view is small and those crosshairs really jump around OFFHAND . another excellent option would be a red dot sight you would be amazed at how well you can shoot them OFF HAND !
I personaly can shoot a handgun better OFFHAND with a red dot sight , vurses a normal pistol scope with duplex crosshairs . the only time i can match a red dots accuracy offhand is with a 1 or 2 x pistol scope if it came with or was changed to a dot reticule at any resonable handgun range, up to atleast 150 yards or so.

felix
06-27-2011, 10:19 AM
That's right, Bob! Hiding the target a little goes a long way towards building confidence for actually hitting the target. There is way too much guiding the offhand pistol as if was a benched BR gun, and invariably the trigger is pulled at the exact wrong time. Best to have the pistol wave back and forth over (actually under) the target intentionally to keep the "group" round. ... felix

bobthenailer
06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Talking about hiding the target ! in years past i was shooting at a club that we shot at 10x6 inch steel plates at 100 yards with iron sight & only straight walled cartages handguns OFFHAND
well they decided to try a scoped class. i used a 2x leupold pistol scope with the reticul changed to a 6 min dot by premier reticul. for a side target they had a row of 5 inch round plates at 100 yards , the dot covered the whole target but i was still able to hit those target about 50% of the time OFF HAND my personal best. was 7 in a row but then you might miss the next 7 targets .

bobthenailer
07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
At one time the Leupold 2.5 x 8 was avaliable from the factory with a dot ! i had mine changed to a dot and had the adj changed to the vari 3 type click adj instad of friction adj by premire reticule ! sadly they are out of bussiness but i heard he works for leupold now!