PDA

View Full Version : Small primers and big Bullets? Fiocchi 45 Acp Brass

rintinglen
06-18-2011, 04:02 PM
:shock: I recently resumed loading 45 ACP after a decade long hiatus, and in a bag of used brass I ran into just about a dozen that had small pistol primers. Since when? And Why? Other than the usual collection of the forces out to befuddle me, is thee a good reason for this? It sure makes reloading difficult.

Dframe
06-18-2011, 04:13 PM
These cases crop up from time to time. I don't know why they were made but they work just fine if loaded with small primers. On the "Hassle to Benefit Ratio" these always end up in my scrap bucket and are eventually sold to the scrap metal recyclers.

35remington
06-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Segregate 'em and let the autoloader fling them into the weeds if you want to do some field shooting. Ends the heartache of lost brass because you don't care if they're lost.

mroliver77
06-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I keep a box of 1000 of them put back in case things get tight again. I then have the option of loading .45acp with LP, SP or SR primers. During the last primer fiasco I was OK primer wise but my good buddy was low on LP. He had a few K of SR and asked if I would trade some LP for them. I told him he could just use the brass if needed and use his SR primers. Works for me!

Oh and all the .45 with small primers I have found are the "Non Toxic" type and have a NT headstamp.
J

Johnch
06-18-2011, 09:08 PM
As I understand it
All the small primered 45 brass is loaded with Non Toxic primers
And I believe they only make Non Toxic primers in the small size

So rather than making a 2 size primer , they changed the primer hole in the case

A while back I was given several 1000 Win Clean 45 ACP cases
So I set up the dillon and left the small primer set up in after loading 9MM

So I now just do a quik sort as I inspect the cases

On a side note
One of the shooters at the club that is into Bullseye shooting
Claims the small primer 45 case's produce better accurcy

With my skill , I will take his word
As I am happy just to keep all my shots in the black

John

spqrzilla
06-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Yep, "NT" priming ie., no lead priming. For indoor ranges. Usually easier to just segregate it out.

44man
06-19-2011, 10:38 AM
You fellas need to read more posts! :Fire:
After many tests with a S&W revolver and the .45 ACP with dismal results, I concluded the LP primer was too much for the small case. I made inserts to change to a SP primer and cut groups by 2/3's. Then my friend found SP brass and that solved the problems, very small groups.
We then tried them in his 1911 that I built for him and they also cut group size. This gun will do 1/2" at 30 yards and to see an improvement with a primer change was eye opening.
You make a mistake tossing the brass without a test.