PDA

View Full Version : Definative .45 loading thread?

jtwodogs
06-18-2011, 09:24 AM
I know this is on here somewhere, somebody showed me before, and I did not book mark
It had pic's of seating depths with I believe it was 200 swc and everythning.
If someone would be so kind as to show me that thread again, I promise I will bookmark it.

Thanks

cajun shooter
06-18-2011, 12:39 PM
jtwodogs, Are you speaking of 45 Colt or 45 ACP? You should use your barrel to figure the seating depth of any 45ACP round. The OAL can be two different numbers as the 45 ACP seats on the case mouth but many load it with the bullet nose just touching the lands and the base of the case flush with the back of the barrel. I always use mine out of my gun to check the OAL while loading. The 45 Colt is best kept to what the loading manual calls for. If loading for CAS and the 1873 rifle then just turn your rifle upside down and open the lever to where the brass carrier moves upward. Drop in your round and if it fits you are OK. Later David

jtwodogs
06-18-2011, 01:37 PM
sorry .45 acp

jtwodogs
06-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Tried loading them with the nose sticking into the lands and the head of the case flush with the end of the barrel (about a fingernails thickness of the shoulder showin) to much pressure, it was looking the slide back for me.

leftiye
06-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Maybe less powder? Or slower powder. Seated into the lands should help accuracy.

KYCaster
06-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Tried loading them with the nose sticking into the lands and the head of the case flush with the end of the barrel (about a fingernails thickness of the shoulder showin) to much pressure, it was looking the slide back for me.

Locking the slide back doesn't have anything to do with pressure of the load. More likely is the exposed lead in front of the case mouth is hitting the slide lock.

If the load feeds and goes into battery consistently then your OAL is probably OK.

Jerry

Char-Gar
06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Some years back the NRA published a booklet on the 45 Auto. It as a selection of the best articles on the subject published in The American Rifleman. When it comes to handloading the 45 ACP round for the 1911 pistol, it was and is about as definitive as it comes.

I don't know if it is still available, but it is well worthy hunting up a copy if you can find one. Their booklet on the Garand is also a real treasure.