PDA

View Full Version : Time to make a change

Jim
06-18-2011, 08:13 AM
I bought a Ruger P345 back in '07 and I've carried it, where the law allows, ever since. A coupla' weeks ago, I fired a few dozen rounds through it and noticed something new. My hands hurt the rest of the afternoon.

Back in '08, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I think Arthur is moving into my hands. I knew it was gonna happen, I just didn't know when. It's that time.

I'm gonna look around and see if I can find a bob tailed .38 snub nose or a pocket sized auto, maybe something in 9MM. If I go with an auto, I'd like to have something in double action or striker fired. I want something that requires nothing more than just pulling the trigger.

I wish Arthur would leave me alone.

44man
06-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, me too. I was having trouble with my middle knuckle and the base of my thumb. I bought a bottle of DMSO and it worked wonders.
Have to be careful about applying it too much, it is a solvent and can dry and peel skin.
The people at the race tracks use it on horses all the time and none of them ever meet Arthur.

missionary5155
06-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Good morning
I have been carrying 5 shot 2" barreled 38 Specials a long time. I bought my first shortly after I ETSīd in 74.
If you are going to pocket carry bob the hammer as you will shoot it double tap anyway. I like the old HIP-Grips. That is how mine get around mostly.. stuck in my waistband.. I ride 2 wheelers alot and I have no problems packing those fine little tools. I also load a 168 grain wc ... 25-75 (lead-WW) good penetration and cuts a nice hole.
Mike in Peru

Jim
06-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks, Mike. I'm open to looking into an auto, but I'm really a wheeler at heart. Somebody suggested one of the new light weight .357 snubbies. To start with, I'm going to have to find a "no money" trade as I HAVE no money! Also, I'm thinking that if I light off a magnum in a snubby, I'm gonna have more pain to deal with from that than I would with the full size .45 auto.

I was just doing some snooping around and saw a S&W 642 (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SW642&name=Smith+%26+Wesson+Model+642+.38spl+Alloy+Frame +Revolver&groupid=3). Any opinions on this?

wallenba
06-18-2011, 08:55 AM
I know what you mean Jim. I'm having trouble hanging on to my Ruger LCP. I too have been looking at small revolvers. S&W 642 or a 637 are being considered. I know the right choice would be the hammerless 642, but I love shooting SA when at the ranges.

Rick Hodges
06-18-2011, 09:07 AM
If recoil is causing you pain I would steer clear of compact lightweight .357s. I find full bore loads in even my 4" 686 to be decidedly uncomfortable. Much more so than a full load 1911. It is a harsh rapid recoil vs. a solid push. My neigbor bought a 2" scandia framed S&W. It was just violent with full house loads....he sold it after one box of ammo.

rintinglen
06-18-2011, 09:52 AM
If you can find a fairly even up swap, I'd look hard at the Kahr CW-9. I got one for similar reasons, danged old age thing aint all it's cracked up to be, and I am very pleased with it, I have several snubbies, but save for the pachmayr handled detective special, they all sting a bit. I am told that the new plastic handled rugers are very soft shooting, but the Kahr is more comfortable to shoot than any snubbie I have fired. I'd also take a look at the Ruger LC-9. My brother likes them a lot, but I haven't had a chance to see one in action yet.

theperfessor
06-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I have a 642 w/Crimson Trace laser grips. It's one of the NRA marked ones that they sold a few years ago. Also have a M36 with same grips. The 642 carries easier but even with standard pressure loads it's got a little snap to it, not so with the M36. Don't want to alter gun as it is an older model in pristine shape so if I ever see a M36 for sale that is mechanically sound but "cosmetically challenged" I will buy it and bob the hammer.

robertbank
06-18-2011, 10:29 AM
If you are into CCW take a look at the CZ PCR or if you need a light rail the CZ P01. Both have aluminum frames and carry 14_+1 rds of 9MM. They both have 3.7" barrels. Mine is extremely accurate. Both pistols come with rubber grips that seem to absorb recoil.

For a full size gun the CZ 75B has a very comfortable grip if you are looking for a full size gun.

Take Care

Bob

subsonic
06-18-2011, 10:38 AM
642 is a good gun. A model 640 will be heavier and hurt your hand less, but will also be more weight to pack around. A +P .38spl in an airweight j-frame has more felt recoil than a full size .45 auto. Check out the Hogue rubber grips for j-frames that let you get your pinky on them. These are not the little 2 finger jobs that come on them from S&W, but have 3 finger grooves. They cover the backstrap with rubber and really help a lot - but the compromise here is that they are a little bigger to hide - but still a lot smaller than your .45.

KAHR CW9 is pretty nice if you're thinking auto. I have a buddy with hand problems from a car accident and he finds it comfortable to shoot - even likes his CW45.

06-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Subsonic beat me to it...

Would a properly sized pachmayer type grip be the solution?

Jim
06-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. All good responses and gives me some things to think about.

I want to get away from the full size auto also because I'd like to carry something a little smaller and lighter. As for the recoil, I can load .38 SPLs light enough to suit me for recreational shooting. Also, If I HAD to use it, I wouldn't be firing the hot loads but, hopefully, on more than one occasion.

I wouldn't mind a little pocket 9MM, but I'd want a double action or a striker fired. I'd like to be able to just pull it out and pull the trigger.

First thing I got to do, though, is sell this P345 or find a trade for something that will suit.

Groo
06-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Groo here
One of my family has a similar problem....
He is looking hard at the Kel-tec 22mag..
It is large enough to get a hold of with too much cramping,
light enough to carry, almost no kick, and carries 30 rds..
I know reloading is a problem but if that is all you can carry and shoot
without pain go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robertbank
06-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. All good responses and gives me some things to think about.

I want to get away from the full size auto also because I'd like to carry something a little smaller and lighter. As for the recoil, I can load .38 SPLs light enough to suit me for recreational shooting. Also, If I HAD to use it, I wouldn't be firing the hot loads but, hopefully, on more than one occasion.

I wouldn't mind a little pocket 9MM, but I'd want a double action or a striker fired. I'd like to be able to just pull it out and pull the trigger.

First thing I got to do, though, is sell this P345 or find a trade for something that will suit.

I should have mentioned the CZ PCR is a Decocker DA/SA pistol.

Take Care

Bob

Piedmont
06-18-2011, 12:54 PM
A 642 has been my carry gun for the last 13 years. It kicks. Lots. What Subsonic said about going to a 640 is true. A 642 is 16 oz. and the 640 is 23 ounces. A standard steel M60 or M36 (same gun, one is stainless) weighs 19 ounces and you can bob the hammer.

An auto will kick less. The steel Kahrs aren't too heavy in my opinion, feel good in the hand, and are point-and-pull guns (no safeties). A K9 or MK9 might suit you well. The K9 is 25 oz. and the MK9 around 22.

subsonic
06-18-2011, 02:06 PM
A couple of other things to think about:

Your practical accuracy will not be as good with a 2" DAO j-frame when compared to your current 45 or the cw9. While most people don't suggest hammered guns for ccw, practical accuracy will improve when shooting SA. Its tough to shoot a gun when the trigger pull is 12 times its weight and there isn't much grip to hold onto with only two fingers doing the work.

You might look at k frames, etc.

MtGun44
06-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Be careful with the light .38 Snub. My 342 kicks the sharpest and hardest of all the guns I
shoot, INCLUDING the S&W 329 (super light .44 mag) with full loads.

I would try the Hornady defense loads, lower recoil by design in the .45 before I would change
anything else.

Or handloads with light bullets/boolits and moderate velocity. .45 ACP is a soft kicker
compared to many out the, ESP the light guns.

Bill

Jim
06-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Be careful with the light .38 Snub. My 342 kicks the sharpest and hardest of all the guns I
shoot, INCLUDING the S&W 329 (super light .44 mag) with full loads.

I would try the Hornady defense loads, lower recoil by design in the .45 before I would change
anything else.

Or handloads with light bullets/boolits and moderate velocity. .45 ACP is a soft kicker
compared to many out the, ESP the light guns.

Bill

Well, my 45 has grown and gained weight since I bought it. That's another reason I want something that will fit in my pocket.

Lloyd Smale
06-18-2011, 03:46 PM
find a 2-4 inch K frame 38special. there just as easy to conseal as your ruger was and even a child can handle the recoil. Stay away from light guns and guns with small grips.

looseprojectile
06-18-2011, 04:53 PM
I am old and worn myself.
Just recently I got my ideal carry gun. A Kel Tek PMR 30.
Weighs less than a pound loaded, 30 rounds of the nastiest hollow point ammo I can find.
The .22 magnum is as powerful as most 38 specials and lightning fast to shoot accurately. No need to carry an extra magazine and carries inside my waistband with no worries of it slipping out.
Three hundred out the door at my favorite emporium.
One drawback is that it has an internal hammer but it also has a great ambi-safety.
I am thinking seriously of trading off my Para Ord P14 45 because now it has become a dinosaur compared to the really light Kel Tek.
Over the years I have used the .22 mag. to kill deer and other small to medium animals and have found that the cartridge in a rifle works as well as a 30 30. I think the Beretta M-9 ought to be replaced with the PMR 30.
I would not go out on purpose to kill a deer sized animal with a 9mm pistol cartridge.
Groo has it right.

Life is good

johniv
06-18-2011, 06:25 PM
find a 2-4 inch K frame 38special. there just as easy to conseal as your ruger was and even a child can handle the recoil. Stay away from light guns and guns with small grips.

+1 to what Lloyd has said, also the Ruger sp101 is light enough to carry all day(I'm 65) but heavy enough to shoot 38's with comfort , I can even shoot 357's in small amounts with no pain. fwiw
John

Jim
06-18-2011, 07:05 PM

Lloyd, do you mean a 2 to 4 inch?

NHlever
06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
I had a Ruger SP-101 with a 3" barrel, and found it to be a really good compromise between weight, handling recoil, and small size. Mine was very accurate, but I no longer have it. I am kind of keeping my eye out for another. I loaded Blue Dot behind my 158 grain boolits, and found I gave up little velocity from the slower powders, and had greatly reduced recoil, and muzzle blast. I worked up to a max load that was around 10.0 grains, and that shot to the sights. I also loaded modest loads using TiteGroup that were pleasant to shoot, and accurate too. I ditched the factory grips, and installed aftermarket rubber grips. I think my grips are Uncle Mike's, and they helped make the gun very controlable. I made some very good shots out to 70 yards, or so that I won't go into here, but they did win pizza from my sons, and their friend.

ColColt
06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
The SP-101 is a sweet little gun. I have one in 3" with Hogue grips. The factory jobbies kept banging my knuckle but the Hogues don't. I've found 38+P loads are a dream with this little revolver and no problem at all. Full bore factory 357 loads are a horse of a different color. You'll feel it in the web of your hand as well as the palm. For SD work and light carry it's a dream, IMHO.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3851-1.jpg