PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt Seater / Roll Crimp Die

H110
06-18-2011, 12:40 AM
I already have a thread on here explaining the issue I am having with my Redding crimp die in 45 Colt.

I started this thread to specifically ask you guys what you are using for a seater and a roll crimp die, you may use two different ones for each operation. I need to get this thing resolved in that I need a die that will work. Tell me what I need so I can buy one.

The problem is this: When I seat a .454 diameter cast boolit and then crimp in separate stage the die is too tight. It swags the boolit down to .453.

I have been dealing with Redding on this for over a month. They have sent out new dies and their no better.

This is only an issue with .454 cast, .452 do fine. Someone has to make a current production die that works.

Randy

jtaylor1960
06-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Check out Ranch Dog's website.He sells Lee rifle style crimp dies for pistol calibers.They do not size the bullet down.

boatswainsmate
06-18-2011, 07:16 AM
I have had good luck with this companies crimp dies. I don't have this current model but anything I have bought from them is top notch. I hope this helps. Boats
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24483/catid/4/Dillon_Crimp_Dies

crash87
06-18-2011, 07:59 AM
While I dont load for 454, I have tried the redding crimp die in 44 and 45. while it worked O.K. I wasn't to thrilled about having to use some lube, there instructions, with the die. When RCBS brought out there Cowboy dies I pretty much have settle on using those. Before that I still used a seperate step for the crimp, but with the Cowboy dies, I don't find a need for that and seat and crimp in 1 operation. CRASH87

bigboredad
06-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I had that problem with a hornady die. I called them a explained the problem and was transferred to their custom die dept. I explained everything again and the guy apologized over and over and said he will get a new die to me and if I had an other problem to call him back. 2 days later i recieved the parts from hornady and it works great. so give hornady a call tell them what you need and they should hook you up

Char-Gar
06-18-2011, 04:26 PM
I seat the bullet with an RCBS seating die and crimp with a Redding Profile Crimp die and have never had a problem.

white eagle
06-18-2011, 07:54 PM
the problem is REDDING
I have had their products and when I ran into
a problem they would not acknowledge any fault
in their product which as you know is not the case
I have switched to another company for my reloading supplies and will no
longer use REDDING

Steelbanger
06-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I have loaded .454 bullets in the 45 Colt for a few years and have had zero problems with RCBS cowboy dies.

BigRix
06-19-2011, 03:59 PM
This is just a shot in the dark as I have not done this myself but you could get a Lee factory crimp die and remove the carbide insert as seen in this youtube video I came across the other day. It would then work as a roll crimp die only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnaCMf7mO2c

cajun shooter
06-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I have loaded and casted since 1969 and have had good and bad dies in most brands. I have found that for my cowboy shooting I use RCBS dies to seat and the Redding Profile die for crimping. The very same thing that Charger posted. I have tried other combos and none of them work this well. The Lee FCD was the worst of the bunch. The Redding Profile Die fixed my problems. Have you tried this die?

H110
06-20-2011, 12:49 PM
I haven't tried the Redding Profile Crimp Die. Redding say's that the profile die makes the problem worse due to the fact it is a taper and roll crimp in one. They state it starts the taper crimp early in the process and this makes the die actually tighter. Who knows!

Randy

Char-Gar
06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
I guess I am a little dense as I don't see your problem. It is not unusual for a crimp either roll or taper to slightly dig into the alloy where the crimp is located. But when the round is fired all of that goes away. what little damage done under the crimp is of no consequence.

On a proper roll crimp, the bullet is seated until only the top of the crimp groove is just above the case mouth. The crimp then rolls the case mouth INTO the crimp groove. Any distortion of the alloy would be slight if any.

I am sorry, but I don't see your issue. It seems to me your problem is either in the adjustment of the die or your expectations of what a crimp die is supposed to do.

H110
06-20-2011, 06:31 PM
I guess I am a little dense as I don't see your problem. It is not unusual for a crimp either roll or taper to slightly dig into the alloy where the crimp is located. But when the round is fired all of that goes away. what little damage done under the crimp is of no consequence.

On a proper roll crimp, the bullet is seated until only the top of the crimp groove is just above the case mouth. The crimp then rolls the case mouth INTO the crimp groove. Any distortion of the alloy would be slight if any.

I am sorry, but I don't see your issue. It seems to me your problem is either in the adjustment of the die or your expectations of what a crimp die is supposed to do.

Chargar, It doesn't have anything to do with the crimp. The problem starts before the case ever gets there. The die is so tight that the bullet gets squeezed or swagged down as it enters the die. You have to really put allot of force on the press handle to get the case into the die far enough to crimp. I am not being defensive, however: I have been reloading for a long time and understand what the die is supposed to do and how to adjust it.

Char-Gar
06-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I will just have to plead ignorance. I was responding to you #11 post about crimp dies. I have never had a seating die what you experience and can offer no help other than get a new die.

RobS
06-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I've been here. I believe what the original poster is saying is the die he has will size down even the front drive band that is outside the case and possibly even the band just below the crimp. The RCBS Cowboy die that I had worked on out to .454" but anything past this and the die would swage down on the boolit. It is the best die for the purpose without any modifications.

I size to .455 for a particular revolver and the easiest die to modify is the Lee since you can take out the small crimp sleeve and open up the radius of the mouth a bit to accept a larger boolit diameter. I chucked the sleeve in my drill press and took a small file to work a larger radius and then finished up with a bit of 400 grit wet dry sand paper. Be careful to not turn/hone the small crimp ring inside the sleeve. A person can knock out the carbide ring on the Lee FCD's or a person can order the body of the powder through die and put the guts of the FCD in it if the carbide ring is giving a person issues.

Char-Gar
06-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Changing times I guess. Most shooters shoot jacketed bullets and dies are made to make those folks happy.

A fellow should not have to modify his dies to get them to seat and/or crimp .454 or .455 bullets. I think I would haunt Ebay for an older die set and be done with the angst.

RobS
06-21-2011, 01:00 PM
You are right; it's to fill the needs of the masses and many shoot J-bullets so for those who have other intentions..................

I also agree an older die may work well and from what I've gathered older RCBS dies seem to be the most generous regarding.