PDA

View Full Version : Accidental lead score....

3006guns
06-17-2011, 08:26 PM
I've discovered that it pays to ask about lead in places where you wouldn't think there is any.

I took several trash bags of soda cans to our local aluminum recycler and after counting/weighing we went into his office. While he was processing the paperwork I nonchalantly asked if he had any lead laying around. "Oh, you shoot a muzzle loader?" he asked. I told him I love to cast bullets and he scrounged in the junk and came up with a solid 16lb. chunk of soft lead. He weighed it and asked six dollars for it or about .37lb. I not only bought it but made him promise to stash any future lead that comes in.

Always ask!

Casting Timmy
06-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Good score

Combat Diver
06-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Nice!

CD

zomby woof
06-18-2011, 09:02 AM
It always pays to ask.

Gtek
06-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Sweeeeet! All of your planets were in line yesterday, did you buy a lottery ticket on the way home? Gtek

Stick_man
06-18-2011, 10:09 AM
The way I look at it, if you never ask, you never get anything. If you don't ever tell anybody you are looking for something, how will they know?

I casually mentioned to a friend (who frequents the thrift shops) that I was looking for some cheap cast iron or stainless cookware for melting down wheelweights. A couple weeks later, I got a call that he had a couple small cast iron "kettles" that would probably hold about 5 lbs of lead in each. He paid a buck apiece for them and gave them to me.