PDA

View Full Version : Blue?

leftiye
06-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Just thought I'd put up a note about an interesting development this morning.

I've got what was a *** Colt 1st model Police Positive Special in 32-20 that a scumbag on gunbroker stuck me with. (lied about gun, inadequate pictures, etc.) Anyhoo, I kinda decided to fix it up. New trigger, hand, cylinder bolt, cylinder bolt actuator lever, ratchet, cylinder, barrel (told ya it were messed up). I was amazed to be able to get all of the parts, though I have to rechamber a .32 long cylinder to 32-20.

So this morning, while kinda messing around waiting for parts that are on order, I did some touch up blueing. And some of the Oxpho Blue got on the new nickel plated cylinder. And it took! Lazy like I am I'm just going to blue it the best that I can instead of removing the nickel plating. I had believed that nickel would not take bluing. BTW, anybody know a good way to remove nickel plate?

P.S. Gunbroker has absolutely no buyer protection of any type. BOHICA!

Maven
06-18-2011, 12:17 AM
"P.S. Gunbroker has absolutely no buyer protection of any type. BOHICA!"

You're right, they don't! In spite of a lengthy "process," which must be followed to the letter, it is meaningless. I had a problem with a seller last year (misrepresentation), which they did nothing about. However, I was able to get a small refund from him once I took the issue up with his state's Dept. of Consumer Affairs.

leftiye
06-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Interesting idea. I blued the whole nickel plated cylinder , and it aint bad. Looks better than the rest of the gun (though that ain't sayin' much). Can stand the gun now w/o wrenching gut pains.

I learned a lot from this experience, like if the pictures aren't clear either run like heck or pray the seller doesn't lie too. On a revolter for God's sake look at the locking detents (if they are visible). And if he thinks you'll buy the gun sight unseen, and also without a decent description, you only have yourself to blame when something surprisingly disagreeable shows up. I didn't find out all of that about the cylinder lockup/rotation until I tried to shoot it (and the firing pin missed the primer).

There's only about four parts of the gun besides the frame that I won't end up replacing.

jmsj
06-19-2011, 09:20 PM
leftyie,
Glad that you are making progress on your Colt.
As for getting stuck with a *** from a gunbroker auction, in my gun cabinet is a beautiful SXS shotgun that doesn't always cock the hammers and sometimes fires both barrels at once.
jmsj

leftiye
06-21-2011, 01:30 AM
The fun part is when the seller calls you a liar, and that you messed up a perfectly fine gun (my arxe). Almost as much fun is the guy who says that he didn't know.... ("I didn't see that bulge in the barrel) - well I saw it in his picture (the one I didn't buy).

Southern Son
06-21-2011, 06:16 AM
leftyie,
Glad that you are making progress on your Colt.
As for getting stuck with a *** from a gunbroker auction, in my gun cabinet is a beautiful SXS shotgun that doesn't always cock the hammers and sometimes fires both barrels at once.
jmsj

That must have been a pleasant surprise the first time it happened!:lol:

jmsj
06-22-2011, 09:45 PM
That must have been a pleasant surprise the first time it happened!:lol:

Scared the HE** out of me. I was shooting pheasant loads at the time. Man was I suprised but I don't think the word pleasant is what I would call it.
jmsj

canyon-ghost
06-22-2011, 10:37 PM
If you need a little help, my friend Jim might be of service : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=108919

Oh, yes, he's my gunsmith also, that's my TC Contender frame that he color case hardened. It's gorgeous.

Ron

M-Tecs
06-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your GunBroker misfortune.

I have purchased about 50 firearms on GunBroker. Everyone has been as described or better. I only purchase from sellers with 20 or more positive feedbacks and a 3 day inspection. A couple have been real surprises. The pictures made the gun look 80% but when they showed up they were 95% plus.

Reg
06-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Have bought and sold both on Gunbroker. Only got stung once and I consider it my fault. Look for the little things in the ad. In my case the guy told the barrel length and if you stop to think about it. Why would he. I didn't question nor did I bother to look it up. Turned out the barrel had been set back a bunch and the new chamber was poorly cut. He knew fully well what had happened and had even put down a clue but since I didn't ask ---------------------
Look for the little things, I see them every now and then. What is happening is the seller dosn't want to lie nor does he want to tell you the truth either.
Kind of one of those "gotcha" things.

[smilie=b: