PDA

View Full Version : Glass shop find

autopilotmp
06-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I work in a glass shop and have recently started to cast. The other day a lady came in w/ an old leaded window and wanted to get rid of the glass that was in it and put a plain piece in its place. I saved it of course so I could scrap the lead. As I was knocking the class out of it my boss smiled really big and said "You want some lead I've got a whole box of that stuff for those type of windows upstairs." A couple minutes of looking and he throws down two bundles of "H" shaped lead for making leaded/stainglass windows. :bigsmyl2:

Now my question is after I melt it seperate from my clip on WW how can I mix it to keep my boolits from being too soft?

What is a good ratio for WW to PB?

I am shooting only .45acp right now and even that at target load velocities.

man.electric
06-17-2011, 06:35 PM
50/50 with a touch of tin is a safe place to start off with in 45 ACP light loads. I have cast many boolits in 45 with that alloy and they have been fine. However, there are many here with a ton more time in this then me.

autopilotmp
06-18-2011, 10:23 PM
what is a good source for tin?

Cherokee
06-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Click on the Rotometals icon at the top of this page, they sell tin. You can also use lead free wire solder from the local hardware store. Scrap yard might have some too, or visit a radiator repair shop to see if they have any drippings they might give/sell ya.

evan price
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Pick up some cheap junk pewter items at the Goodwill or thrift store. 90% tin or thereabouts, not that bad a price usually. Babbitt or print metal, plumbing solder...

Muddy Creek Sam
06-19-2011, 10:42 PM
what is a good source for tin?

Contact man.electric (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=13777)he'll fix you up.

Sam :D