PDA

View Full Version : Loading Data Compilation

wiljen
01-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I have been steadily collecting loading data from the powder companies free books and websites and compiling it into a sql database [smilie=1:. The upside to this was I have 8500+ loads stored in it that I can search as I want to. The downside - ya had to have SQL to do it. So I have converted it into access and put a quick and dirty front end on it so it can be searched by cartridge. It has data from Accurate Arms, Alliant, Hodgdon, Winchester, Vihta, IMR and Ramshot in it with each load documented as to which manual or website it came from. I am posting a link to it in hopes that others here find it useful. We might even think about adding surplus powder data at some future date. If you like - great :-D
- if you don't, offer to help make it better.

As always - your mileage may vary so double check me before taking anything as gospel. If it looks wrong - it probably is!

Wiljen

Link to file: [Updating - Found out my webhost was only allowing 1 download - stay tuned available soon.

Unzip then run setup.exe to install.

wiljen
01-02-2007, 10:37 PM
I have now gotten it posted to a location where you can actually download it and have added a few new tweaks as well.

It now has:

8500+ loads from powder company sites and free manuals
1500+ Bullet BCs and SDs
800+ Factory Load ballistics

and a fairly complete shell holder cross reference table.

Again the process is to unzip and run the setup it will create a desktop icon called Reloaders Reference that runs as an access runtime.

Enjoy.

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/reloadersreference.zip

biged
01-02-2007, 11:18 PM
This programs rocks. A must for serious loader!!!!!

wiljen
01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I will be posting an updated version - probably this evening that has all the data from castpics and I am working on integrating the data from this site as well. Come on guys - 24 downloads today and nobody wants to help just a little ?

ktw
01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
I will be posting an updated version - probably this evening that has all the data from castpics and I am working on integrating the data from this site as well. Come on guys - 24 downloads today and nobody wants to help just a little ?

Waiting for v2.0. ;-)

What kind of help do you need?

-ktw

wiljen
01-03-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm on the third page of the surplus powder data now extracting loads. If someone wanted to start on one of the other topics and copy data into excel that would be great.

I'm doing fields of bullet,powder, grains,velocity, and cartridge
some will have low-high (gr - vel) others are sometimes blank depending on whats available. Just trying to get the majority of the surplus powder data thats tough to find elsewhere.

wiljen
01-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Oh and if we have any lawyers in the bunch - a EULA that says we aint responsible if you blow yourself up with any of this stuff would be good too [smilie=1:

wiljen
01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Ok - major revision and much much new data added. It now is complete - all the data to be had without charge from Accurate Arms, Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR, Ramshot, Vihta, and Winchester, Surplus Powder data as stolen from castpics and cast boolits, a primer reference, a shell holder cross reference, a cartridge dimensions list, and bullet lookup for finding SD and BC, and a factory ammo lookup for comparing your loads to factory ballistics.

Version 2 is now posted

Your feedback is appreciated.

garandsrus
01-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Wiljen,

Thanks! This will be very helpfull. You put a lot of time into the tool. There are 8518 different load combinations! WOW!

You might want to post a version that doesn't include the runtime library for folks that already have Access 2003. It would make the download a lot quicker and save some network bandwidth.

For the folks that don't have Access, you probably should mention that they don't need it and that you have included everything they need to run the program.

A couple suggestions:
On the "Lookup Load Data" page:
o If you could add a field for "Comments" that would be great so that a person could record their comments about a given load.
o How about adding the ability to add a load? I know that this won't make it to the "master" list, but it would be helpfull for an individual.
o Order the result by bullet and then powder or powder then bullet to make the searching easier. I personally prefer bullet then powder.

If you need any help with Access, send me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call. I was a MS Access Certified Developer at one point in time and still program in it almost every day for my job.

John

No_1
01-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Excellent stuff! I have had basic classes in Access but lack the skills to do what you have done. Is it possible to have the "add a cartridge" and also "add a load" function? This would allow us to add cast boolit loads. Is it also possible to add the shell holder info from Dillon into the cross reference?

Robert

wiljen
01-04-2007, 07:47 AM
1.) as to the offer of help a PM is on its way shortly - much appreciated.

2.) As for a comment field - great Idea and no reason not to - I'll work on adding that.

3.) As for the Access runtime - yep its included so no need for any external program but I will put out a database only version for those that have access.

4.) As for the add a load - I have been very cautious to document all data with sources and am concerned that loads added need to be documented in such a way that if the database gets passed user to user there is an obvious distinction between data that came with the package and data added by the users.

5.) Having said that - I am in the process of developing a set of tables /forms that will allow logging casting activity as well as loading and firearms notes and will post that version when it is completed.

Wiljen

P.S. I looked for dillon but didn't find shell holders - found cartridge plates and they were specific to different models too as best I could tell - I wanted to keep it to the industry standards that are interchangeable. For that reason, no shell plates for progressives were included - maybe somebody could gather that data and we could add it. Maybe Lee, Hornady, RCBS shell plates ?

wiljen
01-04-2007, 08:02 AM
I have added a download of just the database for those who have access:

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/rr-noaccess.zip

the download for those who need the access runtime is still available as:

So now you have a choice !

Trailblazer
01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
wiljen, thank you for all your work on this. Great tool!

Did you include the data on the Hodgdon website? Some of it is different from what they published in their booklet. I have access and may be able to help add some of that data. I have never used access but my wife uses it so she could help me get set up. I assume I would be able to just email you an access file to add to your program?

wiljen
01-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Yep - hodgdon website data is in it. And as for additions - excel files import easily.

wiljen
01-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Ok, I think I have made all the changes that have been requested thus far and am posting new versions again.

For those of you that already have it - download:

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/update.zip and unzip it using the path this will replace the database file only.

For those of you that don't have access the install package is still:

and for those of you that do have access the database alone is:

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/rr-noaccess.zip

Again - comments and feedback welcome and I will try to incorporate ideas as I can.

Wiljen.

Uncle Grinch
01-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Wiljen,

Help me out... I don't have MS-Access, but do have Excel and Project. Will your package run with my config?

I am not SQL, XML,or HTML literate, but I can drive Excel.

wiljen
01-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Wiljen,

Help me out... I don't have MS-Access, but do have Excel and Project. Will your package run with my config?

I am not SQL, XML,or HTML literate, but I can drive Excel.

Yep it sure will - just get the reloadersreference.zip and install it. It comes with access runtime packaged so you don't need any other applications for it to work.

scrapcan
01-06-2007, 12:35 AM
lots of info at reload bench website that you might be able to incorporate if you have not already done so.

There is a really good set of cartridge drawings that would go good in your database or runtime.

I sent you a PM regarding an old program that I have. Also have a set of Hornady disks laying around that were given to me. I think there are table s that can be accessed.

wiljen
01-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Ok- its now over 150 downloads and nobody has any comments ?

David R
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
:) I didn't even get v 1.0 downloaded and saw you had new ones.

Getting the latest version right now and I have cable.

Thank you
David

versifier
01-12-2007, 12:49 PM
wiljen, my most humble thanks for your efforts and generosity.

I downloaded it yesterday (2hrs on dial-up:roll: ) and checked it out last night. It is absolutely fantastic. The wealth of information, the logical way in which it is organized, and the ease of use make it a pleasure to work with.

This one is a definite winner and you should be selling it - there's nothing I've seen that compares to it.

wiljen
01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
wiljen, my most humble thanks for your efforts and generosity.

I downloaded it yesterday (2hrs on dial-up:roll: ) and checked it out last night. It is absolutely fantastic. The wealth of information, the logical way in which it is organized, and the ease of use make it a pleasure to work with.

This one is a definite winner and you should be selling it - there's nothing I've seen that compares to it.

I much appreciate your kind words. It has been a labor of love collecting and organizing all that data and I am still adding as my time permits and new sources appear. I am pleased that you think the quality is such that it rivals some commercial products but will never sell it. I personally think there are enough expenses involved with what we do that data shouldn't be one of them. This was my way of giving something back to a sport and a community that has given me a lifelong passion.

Wiljen

felix
01-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Yes, indeed. Some of us computer jocks really try and do things correctly, and most especially in terms of the user. Years ago, the user did not stand a chance because the computer and related stuff was so expensive making emphasis placed on that instead of the user. I can remember when 12K (in 7 bit bytes) was the memory norm for a multi-million dollar machines. ... felix

Treeman
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM
It seems that it won't run with Windows ME. In any case thank you for all your effort-I'll come get it one day when I upgrade.

lead slinger
01-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Down loaded it yesterday. THANK YOU!!! This is great.

Nueces
01-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, this magnificent (at least, that's what you guys say) database looks so fine, that it's going to require those of us running Mac OS X to install one of those throttle programs that slow the Mac down so it thinks like a PC. My AppleWorks database software just stares back at me when I kindly ask it to peek at the unzipped download.

Something I had to do anyway, I guess. Plus, it'll be so cool to have all this info right on the desk. Plus, I get to play straight man for all you offended PC mavens.

Note to Moderator: This is NOT intentional baiting. Not like the Aggie thread, I mean. That was just wrong.

Mark
Tea Sip

wiljen
01-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, this magnificent (at least, that's what you guys say) database looks so fine, that it's going to require those of us running Mac OS X to install one of those throttle programs that slow the Mac down so it thinks like a PC. My AppleWorks database software just stares back at me when I kindly ask it to peek at the unzipped download.

Something I had to do anyway, I guess. Plus, it'll be so cool to have all this info right on the desk. Plus, I get to play straight man for all you offended PC mavens.

Note to Moderator: This is NOT intentional baiting. Not like the Aggie thread, I mean. That was just wrong.

Mark
Tea Sip

I heard filemaker pro can convert access to appleworks - maybe there is hope for those odd little machines yet.

Dale53
01-13-2007, 12:56 AM
wiljen;
This is beyond NICE! What a monumental piece of work for us all. That will save me LOTS of reference time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Did I mention how pleased I am?:mrgreen:

Dale53

crazy mark
01-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Wiljen,
Really nice program. I downloaded it at work to my 1gig USB storage device and then took it home. Works great. My work PC didn't like it at first but I just used the one that had the access program as works access was too old of a version. Thanks for the hard work. Mark

Nueces
01-13-2007, 02:19 AM
I heard filemaker pro can convert access to appleworks - maybe there is hope for those odd little machines yet.

Thanks for the idea. I downloaded a trial version of FileMaker Pro and tried to open the documents. No joy. It might be possible to convert the files into something that FileMaker could open, an intermediary format, dunno. I'm just gonna shuffle around outside the fence and look lonesome. Y'all won't talk about how neat this thing is where I can hear, will ya? :cry:

TCLouis
01-13-2007, 12:53 PM
"unsafe expressions not blocked, block unsafe expressions now?"

This is mdb version opening with Access 2003.

Can't wait to open it and pore over it likeI did with the Herters catalog in its day!

wiljen
01-13-2007, 02:18 PM
"unsafe expressions not blocked, block unsafe expressions now?"

This is mdb version opening with Access 2003.

Can't wait to open it and pore over it likeI did with the Herters catalog in its day!

I didnt put any unsafe expressions in it so block away - wont bother it at all

TCLouis
01-13-2007, 04:39 PM
got it moved, unzipped and started playing with it.
Looks like a LOT of info in one spot. YES, I too wish I could put my data in there. I have a few hundred chronographed loads I would love to have included.

David R
01-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Either a work of art or a labor of love.

Thanks a bunch.

David

KYCaster
01-13-2007, 11:23 PM
RATS!!! It doesn't work with Windows 98.

Jerry

wiljen
01-14-2007, 06:35 AM
RATS!!! It doesn't work with Windows 98.

Jerry

I could post a version of the access file that will work under 98/me but it would require access 2000 as I don't have the packaging tools to put the 2000 version of the runtime with it. If you have access let me know and I'll post a 2000 version for those of you with older systems.

Wiljen

KYCaster
01-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Wiljen: Yes, I have Access 2000. A Windows 98 version would be great.

Thanks
Jerry

Phil
01-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Wiljen,

I downloaded the program Friday night and it is a winner for sure! Thank you, and any others who helped, on this project. It took a lot of work to put this together and I do appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Phil

RayinNH
01-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I seem to be the only one that can't get this to work. I've downloaded every one of the links provided with both Firefox and IE. The icon ends up on the desktop.If I highlight the icon with the mouse it says that there is 4.10MB of info contained. If I double click it says: The Compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted. If I right click and select extract all files, I get; Compressed (zipped) folders error- no files to extract...Ray

wiljen
01-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I seem to be the only one that can't get this to work. I've downloaded every one of the links provided with both Firefox and IE. The icon ends up on the desktop.If I highlight the icon with the mouse it says that there is 4.10MB of info contained. If I double click it says: The Compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted. If I right click and select extract all files, I get; Compressed (zipped) folders error- no files to extract...Ray

Try deleting any copy of the file you have stored and then try again after a reboot. I have had problems with Downloads that I have tried to get three or 4 times and it seems that they use the partial file you already have as a starting point. If it is bad -it corrupts the subsequent attempts too.

woodman51jfk
01-15-2007, 12:28 PM
.........seems to be the case...........wouldn't get a complete download until I cleared the cache......finally got it installed this mornin' 'bout 3AM, and ....wow....wow...wow....great job and many thanks...you obviously put a lot of time & thought into this.....this is as fine a piece of software as I've run across, and with the Access runtime version, I didn't even have to upgrade my old Office Pro 97 !!!

wiljen
01-15-2007, 08:15 PM
For those of you with Access 2000, I have posted a version of the database file that will work with it.

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/RR2k.zip

lar45
01-16-2007, 04:05 AM
Hi Wiljen, just took a look. This is a very worthy project.
Thanks.

I was looking at the cartridge specs section. It might be handy to have the base measurement in there someplace.

I downloaded all your versions and burned a CD to send to my brother.
thanks again.
Glenn.

David R
01-16-2007, 07:32 AM
I think a seperat post as a STICKY is in order.

PM sent to Mr Buckshot.

David