PDA

View Full Version : 311467 on ebay. I was sniped.

frkelly74
06-16-2011, 08:50 PM
I had found an Ideal two cavity 311467 mold with handles on Ebay. It was listed as a #99 Ideal mold but the pictures showed the mold number. So I just quietly bid $40 for it and was in the lead till the last minute or so and someone bid higher. They got a good deal I think. I hope it goes to a good home and someone uses the livindaylights out of it. I really hope it was someone from this site. $40 , 2 cavity, with handles, Oh my!

leftiye
06-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Wasn't me. Nowadays most stuff sells higher on eBay than you can buy it for at Midway.

3006guns
06-16-2011, 08:58 PM
I wonder how long it'll be before RCBS, Lee, Lyman, etc. discover they can get more for their products with an auction format, instead of fixed prices?

Hmm....maybe I'd better shut up.

shaggist
06-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Many of the molds listed for sale on Ebay are old, no-longer-made Lyman/Ideal, mostly in good or better condition. They aren't obtainable anywhere else, and I, for one, am very glad to have the chance to acquire some of these old gems at a reasonable price.

The best way to bid is to check what a new, similar mold sells for retail, +shipping, and then decide what your top dollar will be for that mold. Enter that figure in your bid box, and then, if you have figured correctly, you have it. If not, the other guy paid too much. That way you aren't disappointed if you don't win.

Char-Gar
06-16-2011, 09:54 PM
In years gone by when the group was a much much small tight knit community, we knew each others's Ebay names and didn't bid against each other. Most times, when a member made a bid, he posted his intent to bid here and none of us bid against him.

square butte
06-17-2011, 07:03 AM
I've never understood why anyone who really wants something for sale on ebay, does any bidding at all before the last 3 to 5 seconds of the auction. EVERY ebay auction I have ever followed has bid action in the last few seconds that takes the item. Why would you run the bid up earlier. Just lets others know you want it.

Char-Gar
06-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Auctions of any kind are more about strategy than amount of the bid.

Down South
06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Wasn't me. I hardly ever go look for moulds on Flebay. I do buy a few items at the buy it now price if it is good. But I have figured out if you want to win an auction then you just about have to become a sniper yourself.
What I have done in the past is wait until the last few seconds of the auction and bid what I'm willing to pay for the item. If that isn't enough to be over someone else's proxy bid then so be it.
I've placed bids many moons ago on Flebay auctions and hardly ever won. Most of the time the item would go for a few cents to a few dollars over what I had bid. Now if I see something that I want to bid on, I don't even throw out a bid until the auction is in the last few seconds. Then I bid what I'm willing to pay for that item.

I remember the days when our members would let each other know what we were bidding on so other members would not bid against them. That was very nice of our members.

Rocky Raab
06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
If you really want an eBay item, use the best bidding tools you can. Sign up on a sniping site, post your best offer there and wait for the auction to end.

Some sniping sites are free, but post free account bids at perhaps ten seconds remaining. Paid memberships get posted later, as little as one second remaining. If you bid a lot, the paid deals may be worthwhile.

Ohio Rusty
06-17-2011, 06:44 PM
I always get sniped ... I have a slow computer. So I changed my strategy. I put a ridiculously high price on my bid. They when the guy snipes me in the last few seconds ... he is auto outbid. Even if he snipes again ... he still gets out bid.
I rarely buy anything on Evil bay .....but when I find something I want, I want it, period.

Better I have it and enjoy it than some other guy <BG> .... Just my personal opinion .

Ohio Rusty ><>

Dannix
06-17-2011, 08:30 PM
I put a ridiculously high price on my bid. They when the guy snipes me in the last few seconds ... he is auto outbid. Even if he snipes again ... he still gets out bid.
On the money.

If you don't want to be a sniper yourself frkelly74, the above is the way to win.

Now if I see something that I want to bid on, I don't even throw out a bid until the auction is in the last few seconds. Then I bid what I'm willing to pay for that item.
That what I do as well.

bob208
06-17-2011, 08:55 PM
it is no different thena live auction. every bid there is a snipe. i do good on ebay and live auctions. as someone said it is more about how you bid then how much.

chboats
06-18-2011, 09:48 AM
All the sniping on ebay would stop if they adopted the 15 sec no bid rule that is used on Gun Broker.

Carl

Ed in North Texas
06-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Actually it is 15 Minutes, and it is not really a "no bid rule" but it EXTENDS the auction for another 15 minutes! On a Marlin I was bidding on . . . anther bidder wanted . . . I had an hour and a half lunch break . . . I just kept bidding $5 more . . . I finely won!:lol:

I also have learned . . . if I really want it . . . how much am I willing to pay for it? I bid that amount . . . if I get it for less, great! If I don't win . . . I hope whoever won it really wanted it!

I just won three different guns on gun broker for either opening bid, or the reserve bid . . . even though I bid more!

As someone else said, it is all about your bidding strategy. Your Gun Broker strategy works well (I usually use it there). And it is true that sniping would end if e-Bay used the 15 minute rule, but that would kill the low dollar auctions. It makes more sense when dealing with an item which will sell for several hundred dollars, but who would put up with a 15 minute rule on a $1.85 item? I've noticed that many people don't bother to see if there are multiple auctions of the same item on, they will outbid you (I snipe, but will not snipe someone for an item if there is another same item with no bids). They will outbid you when the same seller has the same item (with no bids) with the same minimum bid amount you have already bid ending 10 minutes later. I figure if they want it that bad, I'll take the lower price later, even the next day is fine with me.

MT Gianni
06-19-2011, 04:29 PM
E-bay is not about making sure you get a quick easy deal but making sure that sellers get the highest price possible as that gets them their fees. Lower prices for buyers is not in their best interest.

10x
06-19-2011, 09:47 PM
I've never understood why anyone who really wants something for sale on ebay, does any bidding at all before the last 3 to 5 seconds of the auction. EVERY ebay auction I have ever followed has bid action in the last few seconds that takes the item. Why would you run the bid up earlier. Just lets others know you want it.

Understated, I have never bid on an Ebay item until the last 3 seconds. And I have never run the bid up on someone else. What I do is I establish the maximum I will pay - shipping included - and bid that price in the last 3 seconds. If I get it for that price or lower, I am happy, If I am outbid, I know that someone has not done their homework and paid too much. The last mold I bid on was a 311465 and my bid was $55.00 U.S. The mold sold to some one for over $90.00 so there must have been a few guys who really wanted it badly. Even at $55.00 I thought it was too high with the shipping.

That being said the Loverin mold market on Ebay is drying up and it it sometimes several days before one is offered.

BTW: Used molds on ebay run from "never been used" to several hours of TLC to bring them back to the point of casting a good bullet. I have found that you can not fix rust pits in the cavity...

fatnhappy
06-21-2011, 11:21 PM
I had found an Ideal two cavity 311467 mold with handles on Ebay. It was listed as a #99 Ideal mold but the pictures showed the mold number. So I just quietly bid $40 for it and was in the lead till the last minute or so and someone bid higher. They got a good deal I think. I hope it goes to a good home and someone uses the livindaylights out of it. I really hope it was someone from this site. $40 , 2 cavity, with handles, Oh my!

If it's any consolation, I had to pin the handles.

PS Just kidding

RobS
06-22-2011, 12:19 AM
I usually wait until five or so minutes before auction end and if the price isn't over what I am willing then I bid my max and move on and come back after it is over. I'm never overly concerned about the outcome because others can simply "have it" if they outbid me.

smoked turkey
06-22-2011, 12:36 AM
I used to follow Lyman moulds on E-Bay until they got as expensive as new ones. I under stand that some of the older out of production moulds are going into "collections", not necessarily for casting. Since I want moulds for casting, I can't and won't compete with what collectors are willing to pay. I have found that I can find the moulds that I want here usually in better quality and more reasonable in price than the other place. As a result I have been delivered from the evil-bay and I am the better for it.

Longwood
06-22-2011, 02:11 AM
I usually wait until five or so minutes before auction end and if the price isn't over what I am willing then I bid my max and move on and come back after it is over. I'm never overly concerned about the outcome because others can simply "have it" if they outbid me.

I agree, there will always be another auction.
The last thing I want to do is get involved in a bidding war. That is exactly what the sellers are hoping I will do. Waiting until the last minute is a waste of time. I bid what I feel is a decent price as soon as I see the item I want. I then go do something worth while (like reading the posts here, :bigsmyl2:) and let the automatic bidder do my bidding for me. If people (AKA snipers), want to wait till the last few minutes/seconds and try to outbid the automatic bidder, (which will always beat them because the bid is already there), or pay too much. OH WELL! Let them have it. Why should I care.
I have bought over 130 items in the last couple of years and have gotten some fantastic deals. The people that complain about getting outbid on ebay are tightwads that want something for nothing and I don't pay attention to their whining or feel sorry for them in the least bit.
I don't buy much of anything that costs more than a couple of dollars from Walmart or Home Depot any more because I can get it directly from where they buy it (China), only I pay about half, or less, with shipping, than they mark it up to.
For instance, I have switched out nearly every light in my home with LED's for pennies compared to what it would cost me to do it at Home Depot. The florescent bulbs that I paid too much for at Walmart are long gone. All because of the fantastic deals I got on ebay.

thehouseproduct
06-22-2011, 10:15 AM
That being said the Loverin mold market on Ebay is drying up and it it sometimes several days before one is offered.
Especially true now that NOE can offer a 5 cavity version of the mold brand new and perhaps improved for $92.

frkelly74
06-24-2011, 08:11 AM
. The people that complain about getting outbid on ebay are tightwads that want something for nothing and I don't pay attention to their whining or feel sorry for them in the least bit.
I .

It's my party and I'll whine if I want to, whine if I want to , whine if I want to. You would whine too if it happened to you.

10x
06-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Especially true now that NOE can offer a 5 cavity version of the mold brand new and perhaps improved for $92.

Any hope of a 311465 being offered by NOE?
This is an incredible little bullet that works well in every gun I have ever used it in, 7.62x39, 30-30, 300 savage. And if I could get one in 314 I would be shooting it in my Lee enfields...

jameslovesjammie
06-24-2011, 08:44 AM
I always get sniped ... I have a slow computer. So I changed my strategy. I put a ridiculously high price on my bid. They when the guy snipes me in the last few seconds ... he is auto outbid. Even if he snipes again ... he still gets out bid.
I rarely buy anything on Evil bay .....but when I find something I want, I want it, period.

Better I have it and enjoy it than some other guy <BG> .... Just my personal opinion .

Ohio Rusty ><>

The Sniping program my wife uses has a few different options. One of them is "Win this item". The program bits $0.05 more than the highest bid at .03 seconds before the auction ends. No matter how good you are, you cannot beat a sniping program.

Longwood
06-24-2011, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=jameslovesjammie;1313261]The Sniping program my wife uses has a few different options. One of them is "Win this item".

That is also called. Willing to pay more than everyone else is.