PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning At The Range

JRHYS
06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm would like to know if any of you clean autos after so many shots at the range. I sometimes take my bronze brush saturated with Hoppe's and run it through my Sig P6 after say four five shot groups with lead cast boolits. BNH is usually 12 to 14. Thanks, Jerry

David2011
06-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I clean mine in the evening, even if at a hotel, after 300-400 shots in a match without problems. The barrel doesn't lead so no reason to worry about the barrel. It's the action that cruds up from boolit lube that stops the gun from running. If the barrel is leading or otherwise grunged up after 20 rounds you need to figure out what's wrong and fix the problem. You might try making a single pass with a dry wool mop or patch and see if it really needed cleaning or if you just had some burned powder residue.

When I shoot my .44 Mag Contender the rounds are 250 grain Keith Type SWCs with a charge of 2400. The 2400 leaves particles in the barrel. I fire one round of .44 Special with Wincheter 231 pushing it when I'm done and it's clean. Lube is Bullshop's Speed Green.

David

btroj
06-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Ceaning after done shooting is one thing but after 20 shots? Really?
I might do this if I was testing loads or lubes and wanted to make sure I was starting with a non-leaded bore.
I have shot 100s of rounds from many handguns without any cleaning with no problems. I listen to the fun, if it seems happy, why mess with it?

milprileb
06-16-2011, 10:16 PM
My experience is exactly what Dave2011 has described.

I will every 100 rds take a paper towel and finger around the
barrel ramp, and face of slide and wipe quickly around the
entire open ejection port. This is a 30 second wipe out
of any crud. My little finger fits these confined spaces
precisely

Iron Mike Golf
06-16-2011, 10:46 PM
If I am not testing loads, I'll run a dry boresnake up the mag well and down the bore every 100-200 rds.

When I was working on getting my 1911 "lead free," I pulled a dry boresnake every 50 rounds to inspect the bore.. I stopped after 600 rounds, as blown back lube and powder residue was gumming up the slide. No lead in the barrel, so I declared victory and stopped there.

mroliver77
06-17-2011, 01:54 AM
Like others I clean the action when needed. The barrel on my 1911s never seem to need cleaning. They always look the same after one or 100 shots. Just for kicks I ran hundreds of rounds through one 1911 shooting the Mihec version of the H&G #68 lubed with FWFL over 4.1gr "Titewad" and Wolf LP primer. I then shot an IDPA fun day event with no problems and continued with the practice shooting for weeks afterwords without cleaning. It was finally so dirty that I had to clean it.

gray wolf
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Ceaning after done shooting is one thing but after 20 shots? Really?
I might do this if I was testing loads or lubes and wanted to make sure I was starting with a non-leaded bore.

Agree
If it's a habit--then have at it. but if you have to, find the problem and fix it. (if it's a problem )

35remington
06-17-2011, 08:28 AM
That's cleaning far more frequently than I need or desire. Maybe every 500 rounds or so, and it really hasn't given any trouble whatsoever with that cleaning regimen.

MtGun44
06-17-2011, 12:19 PM
never have, unless breaking in a barrel and a rarely do that any more.
Bill