PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Blanks- Help

smokemjoe
06-16-2011, 06:08 PM
I have a job comming in, 10 cases, they are fired 30-06 blanks cases, the ones that have a heavy 6 star crimp, These case are engraved?? and where fired at the funeral for a vet, The wife wants to have them loaded with out any powder and put on some typ of a board, How can I neck them out without splitting them to load, Thanks- Joe

shotman
06-16-2011, 06:47 PM
you can open a little and fill with fine sand . I wouldnt put primer or powder in them . recrimp tight with a 270 seater with plug removed

zuke
06-19-2011, 07:36 AM
If you can find someone with Stainless Steel media to tumble them, they'd look like new.
Then spray with varnish to keep the shine.

Blammer
06-19-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm going to guess as to what you want to do for the 'reloading' part.

loaded as in there is a projectile in them now instead of the blank crimp?

get something to cut off the crimp part, then run through a neck sizer only so to seat the projectile, then toss in tumbler to shine it up really good then spray with protective coating to prevent dulling. Tadaa 'for looks' only ammo.

if no projectile in the front, do as shotman suggested. maybe a tad of wax in the nose to keep the sand from coming out.

3006guns
06-19-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm assuming the cases are "engraved" with a name or date and you have to straighten out the crimp without damaging anything?

How about standing them upright in a container with water up to the shoulder and use a propane torch to anneal the crimped neck til dead soft. Then "widget" a small phillips screwdriver (or ice pick) into the neck and open the crimp up as much as possible, followed by careful sizing. Seat a bullet and polish. I'd leave the primers in place or fill the pocket with an epoxy of some sort. Voila! Display cartidges!

Of course if the crimped section is long anyway, just cut it off as mentioned. Whatever you do I'm sure the widow will be appreciative.

CATS
06-19-2011, 01:36 PM
I think you will never get all of the crimp marks out. Your best is to do like Blammer suggested and get the crimped area dead soft. Play with a bunch of regular cases before you do anything with these. IDK if this would work, some one here may know, but you may be able to fire form these to blow the necks out flat, again I would use other practice brass and get the necks dead soft first. Then again, I do not know what would happen to the engraving. Practice.