PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant surprise

Jack Stanley
06-16-2011, 03:07 PM
I've been using up a big box of bullets I swaged years ago using twenty-two rimfire cases as jackets . I got two decent loads to run out of a Stevens bolt action and one of them I thought might actually work in a AR platform .

So this morning I took the AR out to the range with the load in question . A fifty-seven grain bullets using a Winchester rimfire case for a jacket . Lead was formed to almost the tip and it looks like I annealed the case . The powder was eighteen grains of Reloder seven , primer was Winchester small rifle and a Federal case to hold it all .

I have a small gauge from Sinclair I think it is , that I use to get a consistant reading of the ojive of a bullet and the calipers showed 2.930" for the ammo . Actual overall length was right at 2.250 and they just barely fit in the AR magazine .

I tried five rounds at twenty-five yards to see if a sight change was needed and it hit where the sights were looking so I went to a hundred yards . Shooting off the bags there I had to bring the sight down three clicks to use a six o'clock hold . The rifle functioned just fine and the groups stayed right at two and a half to three inches for five shot groups . Since these old eyes don't always see the front sight as well as they used to I'm real happy with the results . I even ran the last twenty from the box through the magazine to see if they would all work and the group was just under four inches .

Seirra doesn't have to worry about me being compitition for business anytime soon because I remember the effort and time to make these . It is a great feeling to be able to make something like that though .

Jack

zuke
06-19-2011, 07:25 AM
The first time I paper patched my boolit's and found out how accurate they were I had the same feeling.
It was a clear cloudless summer day, gentle breeze and not many bug's.