PDA

View Full Version : Loot from cabelas

Jamesconn
06-16-2011, 02:07 PM
http://m1203.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Jamesconn/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0712.jpg.html?newest=1&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2aAc93xMgFIeUMorKWN%2 FaHeGUMJortr84rduf3XIlQc2GM0G0Xd9wR2JbwMrbkIqtzV3f GbBkJfSK2hCcNVVoxHhHaNDr8%2FiFy82X8unbSAAU5WTwwl%2 FY%2FNC7QETwYb3iAH0QmTiHRwTDP1hoUS%2BRzA%3D

Well I went to cabelas and it was my birthday so my folks bought it for me.
Yes those are factory bullets I still need my mold for 9mm brass tumbler and turret press instead of spending half the money on a slow handloading kit.
I figured I should load some factory bullets before I started casting hat is the first and last box i will buy I think it was about $20.

I had to buy the ingot mold cause my parents think I'm moving too fast starting reloading and casting at the same time, but I think with yalls help I'll do just fine after some practice.

Sorry the link is long I am on a trip so I'm doing this off my phone and it doesn't have same options as computer.

I could use some recommendations for a 6 cavity 9mm mold I'll be shooting it from my CZ75b semi-auto pistol.

Carolina Cast Bullets
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
I would take a good close look at Lee Molds. They offer a good selection of boolits in both 2 cav and 6 cav form. Most of them can be loaded as cast but I size all of mine just to "true them up". Molds are available from Midway, MidSouth and several other outlets that sell them cheaper then Lee does. Please dont ask my why cause I have no clue.

Lee has both tumble lube and conventional groove in most boolits offered. Tumble lube, specially when 45/45/10 is used, is much faster and in my opinion, just a good, at least for plinking and general shooting. And convenctional groove boolits can also be tumble lubed if you so desire. If you plan on target work or something more critical, you may need to look closer. In any case, take a look at the Lee offerings.

They are worth a look and can save some money for a new caster.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets
South Carolina

docone31
06-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Lookee here,
I only cast for my 9mm. Lee 120TC double cavity mold. Works great. I size to .357.
I use water dropped wheel weight. I pan lube with lube I make.
Do not start on the Alox castings. I have never had luck with them, and the lube land molds work great.
Preheat the mold, get a double burner hot plate. The larger burner will have the heat you need. Get a bottom pour pot. Do not melt into ingots in the pot. Melt on the double burner hot plate. Scrounge some cast iron pots.
Most of all, have fun, and do not get burned!

Stick_man
06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Molds are available from Midway, MidSouth and several other outlets that sell them cheaper then Lee does. Please dont ask my why cause I have no clue.

Jerry, the reason the retailers sell cheaper than Lee is because Lee (any wholesaler, for that matter) has to protect it's vendors. If they didn't, the vendors would likely not be able to sell anything.

James, as Jerry says, the Lee's are decent moulds. The 6-cav moulds are generally the way to go if you want lots of output. At about $38 each, the price is tough to beat as well. I would, however, recommend starting out with a 2-cav to get the hang of casting. You can pick up a 2-cav Lee for about $20. Then, if you don't like the boolit, you are only out $20 instead of close to $40 until you can sell or trade it off to somebody else.

leadman
06-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Keep an eye open in the Sellin' & Swapping section here and you should be able to pick up some good used equipment.