PDA

View Full Version : Sleep APNEA solution for the Poor Man

PatMarlin
06-16-2011, 09:58 AM
I've had Sleep APNEA for 25 years that I know of. Snore, constantly toss and turn, can't get through the night without waking. Wake up tired and drained with a headache and have a hard time getting through the day.

All that happens if I don't wear some kind of nasal dialator like Breathright Strips, because I just can't get enough air through my nose at night.
http://www.breatheright.com/

I've been using those since they came out which has been years, and they work- sometimes,. Expensive, make my nose breakout in a rash from the adhesive, but without the result is bad.

I used Nosovent for the past 5 or so years- another gadget to get away from expensive Breathright strips.
http://www.nozovent.net/

They work well for about 4-5 nights, then get weak. What a racket. The material- some kind of rubber does not hold up so you wind up paying about the same cost per month.,

I have tried several other gadgets, and all of them are a total waste of money, but then I found this:

The Ultimate Nasal Dilator©
http://www.nasalaid.com/

http://www.patmarlins.com/nose.jpg

It's nothing but bent stainless steel wire, with insulator tips. It has
totally changed my sleep and my life. Ever since I bought it, and figured out how to fit it to my nose correctly, I've been able to breath normally, and sleeping totally through every night. Sleeping longer hours, and my energy has increased throughout the day.

It is truly remarkable. No glue, no rubber to wear out. No re-order. Simple.

I think most folks have this problem and don't realize it like I didn't. It's something extremely important healthwise, and probably causes major health problems over the years so I'm posting the info here on CB.

waksupi
06-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I've been using a double mouth guard, seems to be helping.

Char-Gar
06-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Pat.. I have/had the same problem for many years. I resisted seeking help trying to resolve the issues myself with over the counter solutions. Some worked for a time after a fashion and others didn't work at all.

About a year ago I bit the bullet, did the sleep study and got the BIPAP machine. The difference between my sleep and energy level during the day was truly dramatic. I now consider the machine to be on of my best friends.

PatMarlin
06-16-2011, 12:24 PM
My problem is right now we don't have health insurance. If I went in for a CPAP or how every you spell it, they would laugh me out the door.

Plus I'm rather proud of my non-medical record. I'll keel over one day making gas checks or something ....:mrgreen:

lbaize3
06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I use a c-pap machine. Have used it for over a decade now. Can't sleep without it. Sure would like to get away from it. I might give this device a try. Darned sleep apnea has enlarged the heart so much that I now have arrhythmia. Heart simply will not beat right. Sure makes life interesting.....

454PB
06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
My son-in-law had this problem for years, and did the sleep studies, wore a CPAP, had surgery on his sinuses, has his uvula removed, etc., etc.

None of it did any good, and it was beginning to cause marital stress due to his extremely loud snoring and poor sleep patterns.

He finally went to a doctor that prescribed a sort of "mouthpiece" device that holds his lower jaw in the correct position for sleeping/breathing. Problem solved, and it only cost a few hundred dollars.

Char-Gar
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Pat... Without insurance of some kind, these CPAP and BIPAP machines can be very pricey. Mine didn't cost me a penny.

Olevern
06-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Pat, I am glad you found an affordable solution to your Apnea. I use a CPAP machine and have for many years (costs me out-of-pocket $100.00 a year with my insurance)

Don't know how I would live without it.

Suffered for many years before being diagnosed - wife claims that the many thousands of times I had interrupted breathing in the nights has killed off too many brain cells and I'd better keep the CPAP 'cause I have way too few left :-)

44man
06-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Long ago after moving here I would quit breathing as I was starting to fall asleep. Instant panic, out of bed and pace as I got more tired. Had to sleep to get up and go to work. Then even panic attacks at work.
I found Nyquil worked.
Doctors were useless and I suspected an allergy so I finally found a great allergist close by. He did the tests and I was not allergic to dogs, mold and mildew but I was to everything else on earth. He said I was getting hives in my throat.
I started the 5 years of allergy shots. After the first shots, my trouble went away.
Do not overlook throat and nasal swelling from allergies. You breath that junk all day.

Nrut
06-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for posting that Pat..
I use to enjoy canoe camping/fishing/hunting and haven't done it in over 15 years due to sleep apena..
The Ultimate Nasal Dilator© might allow me to get back on the water..
Here is a link to a good online shop that sells CPAP equipment at a reasonable price compared to what we have to pay up here..
http://www.cpap.com/

SharpsShooter
06-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks Pat. I endure the same symptoms you list daily. I've gone for the sleep study but once they wire me up like the unabomber, I can't sleep so obviously they fail to get results.

SS

PatMarlin
06-16-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't know if it will work for everyone as well as it does for me of course. My problem is in the my nose airway.

If you do decide to try one, the trick first off is to bend it as wide as you can, and still get it in your nose. The next thing is to bend it together as close as possible (you'll see what I mean), yet not have it push the inside of your nose to much where it's uncomfortable. The tighter you bend it together, the more it opens your nose passage. It's tough stainless, so you kinda have to bounce bend it cause it's springy- definitely not weak. Good choice of material.

Then the third thing is I taped the area around across the loop that fits over your nose. Made a 1/2" or so pad across and over the wire bend area. That way the wire does not dig into your skin, and the pad (could be a band aid, or medical tape) keeps it in place without slipping off. Took a little bit to get used to, but once it's set you're good to go.

The instructions that come with it suck. Some folks just don't know how to write instructions.

Tazman1602
06-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Pat,

I've worn a CPAP for years now. In the beginning they were bulky, expensive machines -- you still need a doctors prescription to buy one but I garentee you they are worth every penny. Wife and I had separate bedrooms for a while because I come from a long line of snorers............

They even now make 12 volt machines so I can sleep in the deer cabin with my wife. Check them out:

www.cpap.com (http://www.cpap.com)

Art

coaldust
06-16-2011, 10:38 PM
i have also used a C_PAP machine for a number of years and I has been a life saver and marrige saver. I got mine from the VA and had the tech order me a cigarett lighter adapter for it. I mounted the adapter on a gell cell battery and take it with me on camping trips and such and it will run 2 nights before I need to recharge the battery.

Echo
06-17-2011, 01:26 AM
I have a sleep apnia problem that only occurs when I try to sleep on my back. Stop breathing, then snort, and wake up the household. My solution is to sleep on my side. That way - no issues.

Gelandangan
06-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Been using CPAP for the last 7 years. Owned 3 machines.
A main system (most comfortable) for daily use,
a 12V system for camping (I brought 10Watt solarcell to charge the batteries)
and a cheap machine (made in India) for traveling O/seas because they smash bags in airports.

Cpap machines are live savers, they can be as easy as a VFD fan with a pressure sensor to control the speed,
to multi thousand $$$$$ APAP machines that cue you to breathe (if your body forgot to) on time so you got a good rhythm.
They do not have to be expensive, there are many makers out there.
At least you guys in the USA can get your machines at 1/2 the price we paid in Australia.

wallenba
06-17-2011, 10:41 PM
I've been on Bi-pap (bi-level positive airway pressure) for 3 years now. I was waking up mornings with pulse rate of 150 BPM. The heart was trying hard to deliver oxygen even though I was not breathing. Scary deal. Don't think that gadget would help in my case. I actually have gotten so used to it, it just feels natural now.
I never knew I had sleep apnea until my dog Buddy died. He was old, and got me up several times a night, sometimes for no apparent reason. After he died I began sleeping longer periods of time and thats when the heart problems started. I think now he was waking me up because I stopped breathing, not because he had to go out.

44fanatic
06-18-2011, 09:53 AM
I just started using a CPAP back in March, it has done wonders for my energy level and my attitude. Wife kept fussing at me to get a sleep study as I snored so loud and I scared the heck out of her when I would stop breathing.

Swallowing air has been a bit of an issue...Finally stopped belching in the middle of the night, but when I get up in the morning there is the occasional belch and a good blowout on the other side of the passage.

Ed in North Texas
06-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Before I got a CPAP, my wife's elbow alerted me to start breathing again. I made sure that the CPAP was on a "lease purchase" basis and after a year there were no more payments from me or BC/BS. I don't even stiff the insurance company for masks because they don't need to be replaced anywhere near as often as the DME companies will auto-bill for them, and they are lots cheaper if you are paying for them outright. You save the insurance company money, you help keep your premiums and co-pays down (wish everybody did this).

rondog
06-18-2011, 01:36 PM
I've been using a CPAP since 1998, it's my bestest friend in the whole world! Honestly, I couldn't live without it, and I take it everywhere. Can't stay in a hotel without it. My insurance paid for it totally, didn't cost me a dime. But I would have to say it's so valuable that I'd buy my own if I had to. I still wake up tired, because I'm a fat old man and stay up too late on the web, but without my CPAP I'd probably have been dead by now. It's really made a HUGE difference!

kodiak1
06-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Dang I am going into do my test sleep tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken.

thx997303
06-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Been using CPAP about 2 years now.

Problem is now I'm wakin up with headaches. Pain in the rear.

coaldust
06-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Pain in the rear, You'er putting the mask in the wrong place. LOL could'nt resist

PatMarlin
06-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Been using CPAP about 2 years now.

Problem is now I'm wakin up with headaches. Pain in the rear.

Headaches in the morning is a clear sign of no oxygen.

I would check that it's working right.

1Shirt
06-19-2011, 11:19 PM
[:bigsmyl2:Been on a CPAP now for about 2 1/2 years, wife for over 4. It works for [/I]me, and if I don't drink a lot of liquid abter 6 p.m. I make it thru the night, wake up rested, and no headaches. Has really helped. Good luck Pat. Looking forward to your 30 which I think is in the mail!
1Shirt!:coffee:

evan price
06-19-2011, 11:56 PM
For the past few years I have been getting steadily worse and worse. Wake up from sleep more tired than I went to sleep. Blood pressure just this side of explosive. Snoring worse and worse. No energy, depression, lack of drive, just generally BLAH feeling. Needed wheels to support mydragging rear end. Could not do anything at all, projects, parties, house work, play with kids, just blech. Was falling asleep at work, at home, in the car on the freeway and at red lights, while talking on the phone... Thought it was due to my depression, been taking antidepressants and it just got worse. Bad moods, angry all the time, putting on weight, feeling worse and worse. Thought it was because I work third shift, getting older, not eating well, out of shape, brain problems with depression, who knows.

Then Mrs. Price told me I was stopping breathing when I sleep. I thought nothing of it until I mentioned it to my doctor. Then it was like it all clicked for him. Had my sleep studies that month, they were bad enough that they stopped me on the first night and woke me up. Seems I was getting up to 155/115 blood pressure, heart rate 120+, blood oxygen 77%. They put me on CPAP with C-Flex and a humidifier and I use a full-face mask at 10psi. The night of my sleep study with CPAP I felt great. When I got my machine and had the first night's sleep with CPAP it was like I had found some fountain of youth.

Now I have energy, I am losing weight, blood pressure is coming down, energy is going up, I sleep all night long and wake up feeling fine. I (heart) my CPAP and won't sleep without it! Luckily insurance covers it. Mrs. Price loves it because my snoring kept her up. Also with the humidifier and filters my allergies are not as bad. Glad I figured it out at last and I'm a new man, cutting back on the antidepressants. We were treating the symptoms as if they were the problem all along and it was OSA causing them.

phatman
06-22-2011, 12:09 AM
You can buy C-Pap machines at auction online.
I paid $127 for a brand new one 2 years ago.

Cheers, John

PatMarlin
06-22-2011, 12:46 AM
This will be interesting-

A very generous member of ours is sending me his CPAP machine to try. He doesn't use it. I've never used one before, so it will be interesting to see if I'm missing something verses my poor man's rig?

I could use one of those late Twenty something Dillon girls to get my heart rate up, blood pumpin', and deep breathing going here. Or at least until my wife gets back home... :mrgreen: