PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me.....?

wtfooptimax200
06-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Is it just me or is the Guide Gun one of the most appealing guns you have ever seen? I love all types of guns, but there is just something about this gun that makes me want it every time that I see one in a store or online.

Does anyone have any great success (or failure) stories with this gun that may influence my buying decision?

Branden

Bullshop
06-15-2011, 08:34 PM
I dont like them! I think they are too short so poorly balanced. I see folks put the stock mounted cartridge holders on them and that makes them even worse. For off hand shooting muzzle weight makes for a steadier hold. Also the shorter sight radius makes it harder for old eyes to see the sights. I like the longer XLR much better. The Cowboy is nice in that regard but too light weight for the way I load.
I have a very nice condition Stainless Guide in 45/70 for sale if you want one.

Nrut
06-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I love mine..
It is perfect for what I want in a short range, lwt., easy to carry hunting tool..
It is some what of a snot shooting heavy loads but I don't need heavy loads and have found that a 400gr. bullet over 2400 very pleasent to shoot..

Bullshop, I hear that "For off hand shooting muzzle weight makes for a steadier hold" statement all the time..
Learn to snap shoot and you will change your mind..
It takes practice but it is worth learning and fun to boot!
Start with a swinger target, .22RF, a low power scope or open sites..
:D

MGySgt
06-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I have 4 - 45/70's and my Guide Gun always gets the nod. J words go under an MOA and Boolits do the same. 3031 and 4198 for full power loads and 2400 for light loads.

I will have to try the UNIQUE loads

MtGun44
06-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Like mine a lot. Handy and quick, accurate and powerful.

Sorry, Dan. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Bill

largom
06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Really like mine. Had to scope it though because of "old" eyes. Cast boolits at 1700 fps gets the job done every deer season.

Larry

Guesser
06-16-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm not fond of the concept when it becomes reality. It looks and sounds good but it just doesn't live up to the perception. I took a model 1894 Marlin in 44 Magnum and had it shortened to resemble a guide gun when the 1895 guide gun first came out, thought it would be great. Its Not!!! Balance is gone and it just does not handle as well as it did before I desecrated it. I have never bothered to even look at another one and certainly wouldn't own one. In 44 Magnum, performance is not lost because 44 magnum is a short barreled cartridge by design, so that is not a factor in my dislike.

Bullshop
06-16-2011, 07:15 PM
This is more of a personal preference than a true or false so no offence here.
Now if you want to heft a lever gun that holds steady you should try my 1886 Win 50 Ak.
It has 26" barrel and full length mag tube. That puppy may swing slow but sure holds steady and will follow through of its own weight momentum.
I have had a couple Win 94 30/30 trappers, a couple Win 94 45 Colt trappers, and like Guesser did tried a cut down Marlin 44 mag but each had little appeal for me in the way they handled. I prefer the longest barreled version of each model.
True when it come to packing they are nice in that regard but for me it was a trade off in how well I could shoot them so I lean to the shooting side not the packing side.

btroj
06-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I prefer the standard length barrel I have on my Marlin 1895. The guide gun is too darn short.

I am totally with Bullshop, I want the barrel length to get the proper "hang" when shooting offhand. I too dislike the ammo carriers on the but stock. Want to really make me turn up my nose? Put a "scout scope" and big lever on it.

Just personal opinion but I prefer a traditional look to my guns.

Jeff H
06-16-2011, 09:40 PM
One of each sounds like the answer to me.

I got the 16" Rossi and it really is much more difficult for me to hold steady off hand for a longer shot. My muzzle loader weighs 10 1/4 pounds, because I added a solid brass ramrod. Nothing like if for off hand shooting, but it is not handy in a tangle.

I expect to have to swing and point the Rossi in close quarters, and having added a scope and "weapon light," it does balance better while still being short. My next lever will be a longer one for certain, but I don't think I will be giving up the stubby one either.

cbrick
06-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Kinda sounds like the reason they make so many variations of everything, something for everybody. Not possible to make one version of an action type and make everyone happy, would probably make very few happy.

I have a 26" octogon brl Win 94 30-30, great shooter but not to sure about how far I would want to carry it in the wilderness & up & down a mountain. Every year any more that gets to be more of a concern.

Would I want a short barrel guide gun? Probably in a couple more years I just might say yes.

Rick

Canuck Bob
06-17-2011, 12:36 AM
I have an older 444S with a 22"barrel and a Winoku 92 with a 24" tube. I think my 444 is one of the sweetest handling guns ever made. The balance and hold are perfect for me.

The guide guns have grown on me though. As long as the LOP, my favorite is 14", doesn't get chopped with the barrel and the balance point remained 3-4 inches ahead of the lever I would consider one.

If looks were the main consideration give me a rifle over a carbine anyday.

stubshaft
06-17-2011, 02:30 AM
I'm with the Gunny on this one. My GG usually gets the nod to go hunting. Unlike Bullshop I find the balance perfect for the way I carry it. So much that, there is a definite wear pattern on the front of the receiver where I usually grip it.

Phillip
06-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I generally do not like rifles with under 20" barrels. But the other day I handled a Marlin GBL and it felt nicely balanced. With the added tube length, it seems a bit more balanced then the guide gun and makes the gun look like it has a 20" barrel as well.

I am really thinking about getting one now, and I am not a big Marlin fan either. [smilie=b:

crabo
06-18-2011, 02:05 AM
I love my GBL. The only thing I don't like is the fat forend. I've thought about putting it on the belt sander and shaving it down, but then I would have no checkering on the forend and checkering on the buttstock.

mebe007
06-18-2011, 07:13 AM
yep i feel my GBL to be well balanced and to point very naturally with almost no effort. my deciding factor of getting the GBL was the full length mag tube. i hate the look of short tubes. so it was the cowboy ( read $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) or the GBL. i handled one and loved it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/mebe007/IMAG0635.jpg

rintinglen
06-18-2011, 07:50 AM
I shot one of the early ones with the muzzle break and was flabbergasted at how much of a difference that made! I had thought that muzzle breaks were more of a "high-velocity-magnum-charge" kin of a thing. If I had not already bought a Marlin Cowboy, I'd have bought one right then and there. Those 400 grainers at 1750 feet per second felt more like 300 grainers at 1450. Unfortunately, by the time I got around to looking for one, I was aced out. Marlin had discontinued the muzzle break version. I really like the looks of the stainless, gray laminate looks like. stock models, but I am out of room for rifles--need a new safe,

Bullshop
06-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I think I have one of the early ported barrels stashed away. I will sell it for $50.00 of your interested, provided I can find it.
The GG it came on was converted to CB.

Char-Gar
06-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Had one and didn't like it. Swapped it off. I have a Marlin 45-70 with the 22 inch barrel and love it.

grubbylabs
06-18-2011, 06:00 PM
I am not sure of the barrel length of my Win 94 AE in .444 but it handles very well. While I have never handled a shorter one I am not sure I would like a shorter one.

Phillip
06-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Well I did it on Saturday...Meh I traded a Colt Combat Commander Lightweight for a brand new GBL and 2 boxes of ammo....Did not cost me a dime! :holysheep

I always want a 45-70...now I have one! :guntootsmiley:

mebe007
06-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Well I did it on Saturday...Meh I traded a Colt Combat Commander Lightweight for a brand new GBL and 2 boxes of ammo....Did not cost me a dime! :holysheep

I always want a 45-70...now I have one! :guntootsmiley:

Waut a minute lemme check my safe. Yep there's a lightweight commander in there, yep the gbl us still there. Goodness I was getting worried

My commander is one pistol I could never part with
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/mebe007/IMAG0509.jpg

Anyways, what are your plans for sights? I put the xs lever rail and ghost ring setup on mine and love it
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/mebe007/IMAG0632.jpg

Phillip
06-21-2011, 12:59 AM
The commanders are nice guns, and I have revived quite a few, like the one I just traded. But for me, if I have not shot it in a while, it go's and I get some thing else.

For the sights on the Marlin, I do not know what exactly I want to do there. I have a few Ideals and going to have to see what one I like best. I do plan on using it for hunting in the brush, so that is one of things I have to keep in mind. I do like your setup though.

PatMarlin
06-21-2011, 02:08 AM
I love mine-

http://www.patmarlins.com/1895scoped.jpg

2 piece Weaver Grand Slam bases. Leupy removable scope rings. Standard marlin flip up buck horns.

wtfooptimax200
06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
As soon as issues of balance were mentioned, I immediately wondered about the GBL models. I love the looks of the laminate stock, and would assume that the full length tube adds a bit of weight to the muzzle. Is there a noticeable difference with the full tube?

Markbo
06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
I always try to choose the right tool for whatever the job at hand is. If I need to shoot long range, there are better choices. But for (relatively) short range or heavy brush and particularly on heavier critters like hogs a GG is hard to beat. I have a .45-70 GG and a .444S and both have 2X scout scopes. Work good for me.

Swampman
06-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't like the long barrels for hunting or shooting offhand. I greatly prefer the Guide Gun.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Woodsman1956/Marlin/100_3640.jpg

Dutch4122
06-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Anybody know if there are full length tubes that can be purchased and installed on my Guide Gun? Been thinking of building my own version of the GBL with a DRC Glove Loop Lever and a new full length mag tube for better balance.

Gtek
06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
The lug in the bottom of barrel dictates mag tube length. I was diagnosed with the Marlin disease many years ago, you grab the one you feel like that day! Gtek

Phillip
06-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I love mine-

2 piece Weaver Grand Slam bases. Leupy removable scope rings. Standard marlin flip up buck horns.

That is the same setup I was thinking about running. Scope wise, I was thinking a 1x to 4x with a 1" or 30mm tube.

***ooptimax200, there is a bit of difference with the balance between the two and after handling both at the shop, the GBL felt better to me. But I guess its all in personal choice in the end.

PatMarlin
06-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Mines a Vari X III 1.5x5 used. I buy all my Leupolds used pretty much.