PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 500B Toolhead Thickness

thehouseproduct
06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
I am new to new Dillon. Has anyone else run into problems not being able to screw down dies far enough to size the whole case? I screwed my RCBS 380 sizer down until it touched the shell plate and only about half the threads in the lock ring are engaged. It seems that the tool head is quite thick or not close enough to the shell plate.

bhn22
06-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I've had problems with LEE dies being short, but no issues with RCBS. Realistically, all the locking ring does is act as a stop when you screw the dies in, so you shouldn't have any functional issues if the threads in the ring don't have full length engagement with the die. I think Dillon dies are a bit thinner, if that what you want.

hunter64
06-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Yes some Lee and RCBS dies are a little short but you can just put the lock ring on the underside of the die without any problems. Looks funny but it works at holding the die where it needs to be. The Dillon dies are a lot longer to accommodate the thickness of the tool head.

Doc Highwall
06-15-2011, 05:21 PM
I have done the same thing as hunter64.

nicholst55
06-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Switching to Dillon lock rings will help some, too - they're about half the thickness of standard lock rings.

Intel6
06-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Been putting the lock rings on the underside of my Dillon toolheads for many years!

cajun shooter
06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Use the Dillon lock rings for two reasons, they allow the die to seat lower for more depth. They are also smaller in outside dimensions and leave enough room for a Dillon die wrench to be used.