PDA

View Full Version : 9mm target load

Jamesconn
06-14-2011, 11:22 PM
I purchased hodgdon titegroup and Remington small pistol primers. I will be using random headstampmcases fromthe range.

I need help selecting a mold and how much powder I willbe shooting it through my CZ75b.

I have heard of some leading issues and beagling the mould and lapping it and allthis other stuff. I am not on a quest for the worlds most accurate load just as good or betterthan factory ammo for a cheaper price. I want to buy the moldand start casting and not have to worry about leading or altering the mold just casting, reloading, shooting, and repeat.

I am sorry for typos I am on a trip and am using my phone which is not fat finger friendly.

Larry Gibson
06-15-2011, 01:43 AM
I've used numerous moulds over the years with numerous 9mms including some sub guns. My current 9mm (probably my keeper) is a CZ75 also. I've setteld on the Lee 356-120-TC as just about the best all around 9mm cast bullet. With the 6 cavity mould I cast a lot of bullets at one session. Mine drop at .358 - .359 so I've not had to Beagle or anything else other than size at .358, lube with Javelina, load over 4 gr Bullseye (sorry, no TiteGroup data) and soot them with very good accuracy, no leading and 100% reliable functioning in my CZ and any otehr 9mm I've shot them in over several years now.

Larry Gibson

helice
06-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Some years ago I bought a Lee Tumble Lube 356-124-Truncated Cone. It shot so well in my M-92 and Taurus M-99af that I stopped looking for others. If that mould hadn't worked I'd have tried the one Larry uses in the above post. It has a bit bigger meplat. I'm not wild about round noses.

NickSS
06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
I have and use the 120 TC lee bullet and I also have it in a six cavity mold as I can buy a Six cavity lee mold with a set of lee handles for it for less that I can get either a lyman or RCBS two cavity mold with no handles. This bullet works well in a half a dozen different 9mm pistols that I have looked for no others. I size to .357 and lube with 50-50 allox/beeswax lube. No leading or other issues with it using several different powders but I have never used tight group so have no info on that powder other than what is inthe loading manuals.

CPL Lou
06-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Just a bit of info to maybe help in your quest:

I slugged the barrel on my Sig P225 and came up with a bore diameter of .355".
Well, I thought .356" would give good results. WRONG ! Leaded like crazy !
So, I tried .357". Better, but still leaded on the 'leading' edge of my rifling.
Well, finally tried .358" (unsized from my mold and alloy). BINGO !!
No leading and great accuracy !
All my bullets were lubed using 45/45/10, (LLA, JPW, mineral spirits).

Hope this helps when you still get leading and can't figure out what the problem is.

Lou

added: I use the LEE 356-120-TC in a 6 cavity mold as well.

schutzen-jager
06-23-2011, 06:36 PM
been using lee 125 gr. rn cast using wheel weights , lee alox tumble lube , 4.5 grs red dot , + cci or winchester primers for 25+ years - no leading , accurate , + even functions my lugers with no problems -

NuJudge
06-24-2011, 07:56 PM
A lot of my 9mm pistols have larger-than-standard groove diameters, especially my Beretta 92FS & 92G barrels, and my P38 Barrels. For them I use a Lee Cowboy 125gr RF, sized .359". The pictures in the catalogs show a bevel base and a really large nose flat, but what Lee is currently making has a flat base and a small nose flat.

I have other 9mm pistols that won't take anything over .356".

camaro1st
07-06-2011, 12:36 AM
been using lee 125 gr. rn cast using wheel weights , lee alox tumble lube , 4.5 grs red dot , + cci or winchester primers for 25+ years - no leading , accurate , + even functions my lugers with no problems -

same mold with 4gr red dot. my mold dropped at .358 and shot fair sized to .357 and that was my magic number no leading and as close to bullseye as i can get at 30yards. you may want to try a couple of sample bullets at different sizes and see what works best for your pistol before you buy a mold or sizer.

bobthenailer
07-06-2011, 01:01 PM
My personal experiance with tightgroup in several calibers is i use the same powder charge as BE and get equal accuracy & velocity, sometimes i have to bump it 1/2 a grain. for equal accuracy
you will probley get better accuracy with the heaver bullets sized to .357 or .358 dia and use med fast to med burnrate powders.

MtGun44
07-07-2011, 12:12 AM
356 120 TC has worked extremely well for me at .357 or .358.

Air cooled wheel weight alloy is fine, nothing harder is needed.

Bill