PDA

View Full Version : 9mm...help

tberger27
06-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I am new to casting, and greatly looking forward to starting. I have a 125gr Round nose mould from LEE. I was planning on buying the LEE push thru sizing die aswell, however, didn't know what die to start with. I have been reading that 9mm are prone to leading and was just hoping yall could give me professional advise. Should I buy the .356, .357,etc...? I am using these loads as light loaded rounds for target accuracy. They will be shot from a FN FNX9. loading and lube (pan lubing) recomendations would be greatly appreciated as well! I have an information overload that has my head spinning and not knowing where to begin.

Boolseye
06-14-2011, 07:14 PM
I suggest you slug your barrel–then size your bullets to .001 or .002 over. I shoot .358 or .357 out of my 9mm. If I were to have one push-through die for 9mm it would be the .357. I only use my .356 for my .380 auto. You can tumble lube them if you want–I suggest 45-45-10 (see Recluse's sticky). Straight alox is a little messy. I've never pan-lubed or used a lubrisizer. For light target loads, tumble-lubing will probably be all you need, and it's very fast and easy. My favorite powder for 9mm cast shooting is Accurate #5, and I did a lot of testing using various powders and charges. 4.5 grains under your boolit will be light, will cycle the action and won't lead your barrel (much). I recommend you don't use the factory crimp die here, and only a light taper crimp so that your bullets retain their diameter. The 9mm is picky for cast boolits, but it's totally doable, and you have a good mold. be patient and you'll be fine. I have started shooting 158gr. SWC out of the 9mm, over a very light load of Bullseye (2.5 gr.) and they shoot great w/ very little leading. In my experience, very little leading is all you can hope for with the 9mm. Good luck.

tberger27
06-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Thank you very much for a speedy response. I will be getting started soon and this is a if help. This site has such useful info, thanks to knowledgeable people

soldierbilly1
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
tb:
I would start by using the search key for '9 mm leading' on this forum. There is a lot of information here, put forth by some very knowledgeable folks. That will get you started. If you are new to casting, get Lyman's 4th edition of the Cast Bullet Handbook, very informative.
Again, you will get much help on this forum. The 9 is a tough nut to crack. Statistically speaking, going with tumble lube is challenging. I gave up on TL and I continue to Lyman Lubrasize everything. You may have better luck. Good luck in your quest! Welcome to the group!
billy boy

BMWrider
06-14-2011, 08:17 PM
If you buy the Lee sizer, make sure it sizes as labeled! I slugged my barrel at 0.355" and ordered the 0.356" sizer from MidwayUSA. The die read 356 on the side, I mounted it in a press and sized away. This was my first attempt at cast boolits and on my first trip to the range, I experienced significant leading. I measured some sized boolits and they were uniformly 0.355" - the same as my barrel and a perfect recipe for leading. I've returned/exchanged the sizer for a 0.357" (thank you MidwayUSA for the quick exchange) and will be testing the new loads this weekend.

MtGun44
06-15-2011, 06:59 AM
As suggested, do the search. TL is somewhat problematic with 9mm, some get it to work,
some do not. Fit is critical, so the advise to slug your barrel and shoot larger, is correct.

Most succeed with .357, some need .358. TL is kind of marginal lube system, but you may
have success and the primary benefit is extremely low entry cost for the beginner.

If you want the most certainty of success, I suggest Lee 356 120TC, run through a
standard lubrisizer at .357 or .358, cast of air cooled wheel wts, NOT water dropped, and
lubed with LBT soft blue or one of the NRA 50-50 products that are out there like Javelina.

This does not mean that other methods cannot work, but this set of choices has worked
well for many users and has pretty robust margins. TL seems to have little margin for
hot cartridges like 9mm and 40 cal. Can work, but many struggle with it.

Best of luck, and I fully understand the attraction to TL system, but do not use it personally.
I probably would at least be trying it if I was starting out today.

Bill

Boolseye
06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
If you do encounter any significant leading, get yourself some strong solvent. Hoppes #9 won't cut it.
Shooter's Choice works great.

Lizard333
06-15-2011, 08:55 PM
If you do encounter any significant leading, get yourself some strong solvent. Hoppes #9 won't cut it.

Get some copper chore bore or aluminum screen and a use that to get the lead out.