PDA

View Full Version : More questions, AGAIN

tommag
01-01-2007, 08:40 PM
After lube/sizing, I noticed a shinier streak on one side of the boolits, like maybe a rough spot in the die. I have a hard lube in the lubrisizer and die. Would hot water be the way to remove the lube from the die for inspection after removing the rubber o-ring? If so, would boiling be too hot?

It seems I only take from this board, maybe someday I might know enough to contribute.

On a happier note, I read about being lucky enough to find a Lee that casts big. My 2-cav. 113 soupcan casts .3116 with my best approximation on Lyman#2. I guess I got lucky?

Tom

Ricochet
01-01-2007, 09:14 PM
My understanding's been that Lee makes their dies to drop boolits of the specified size using wheelweights, but of course wheelweight composition has varied quite a bit. Lyman #2's supposed to be a standard, but if you're using the recipe that includes wheelweights it can vary, too. But higher antimony alloys cast bigger.

Buckshot
01-01-2007, 09:30 PM
..............Hey Tommag. Have you miked those slugs? You may have a slight alignment issue with the mould blocks and one side of the parting line is getting sized. If this be the case, it would be on the 2 opposing sides of the parting line. It's not right but of mould maladies it's farily common.

If the bright streak is on one loacation of the boolit only then there may be a burr in a lube access hole or a scratch on the die. If it isn't actually cutting the boolit and you can't detect a flat spot or such with a mike, it wouldn't seem to be a problem. Just an oddity :-)

...............Buckshot

beagle
01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Or, the old Lyman dies without the tapered leade will give you this also as it's a alignment problem when the sizing process starts.

A machinist can throw a 7 degree taper on that abrupt sizing die entrance if this is the problem./beagle