PDA

View Full Version : Salvation army run

Jamesconn
06-14-2011, 03:57 PM
This is the second time I've been to salvation army.
The first time was along the border where I live and I gotta say it was **** that nobody could use.
This time I'm up in rapid city, SD and I looked for pewter it was all aluminum ****, but I scored a mini muffin tin 12 cavity stainless steel actually pretty clean and no gunk.
Then I also turned up a crispy creme coffee mug and a gently used genuine lambskin jacket that fits perfectly all three items for $19.61 best purchases ive made that I can think of.

wtfooptimax200
06-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Good job, I still have yet to find anything decent at one of these stores....maybe one day.

t_dickinson
06-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Good for you. And for them - 100% profit. Oh, and a tax write off for the benefactor.

Centaur 1
06-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Same here with pewter, so far all that I've found was aluminum.

Rio Grande
06-15-2011, 10:47 AM
I've found some great deals in stores like Sal. Army and Goodwill.
Of course lead pots and cast iron muffin pans, also other useful things, when I lived in a town that had a big Army base we could find lots of GI items like the polypro under shirts and pants and M65 Jackets. Mess kits, GI and Scout. Great old carbon steel butcher knives. Bicycles, books, holsters, backpacks, bows, lots of good stuff.
Worth an occasional visit.

Atakawow
06-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Dollar Tree stores for me. I always come up with something I NEED whenever I set foot in. Already up to 50 6x cavity steel muffin pans @ $1.00/each.

evan price
06-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Did my Goodwill Stores run this morning, collected two pewter candlesticks, a pewter wall candle sconce and a pewter shotglass with someone's initials engraved in it. Total weight about 2 pounds, for $6. Only problem is the two candlesticks & wall sconce are Stieff Pewter, Williamsburg Collection- there's an online catalog from 1956 or so, and there's my items. So the question is- do I take these antiques- slightly dinged & scratched- and melt them, or throw them on eBay and use the money for buying other lead/tin alloys? Hmm....

Ausglock
06-16-2011, 07:06 AM
G'day.
Melt them.
Remember...A bird in the hand.etc...etc...etc............:bigsmyl2:

Jal5
06-16-2011, 08:19 AM
You've got nothing to lose...try ebay first see what you can get. You can buy lead with the money.

lwknight
06-16-2011, 09:03 AM
All the pewter candlesticks that I have found are about 6 oz of pewter and a pound of some kind of heavy plastic weight stuff. The plasticky stuff melts at low temperature but is terribly messy. Its a royal pita to get all the pewter stripped off the filler stuff too.

imashooter2
06-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Here's why you have to be careful when you buy candlesticks:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/CSmark.jpg

1 pound 6 ounces before...
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/CSbefore600.jpg

9.8 ounces after. The shell on the base is only .020 inch thick.
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/CSafter600.jpg

jsizemore
06-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Did my Goodwill Stores run this morning, collected two pewter candlesticks, a pewter wall candle sconce and a pewter shotglass with someone's initials engraved in it. Total weight about 2 pounds, for $6. Only problem is the two candlesticks & wall sconce are Stieff Pewter, Williamsburg Collection- there's an online catalog from 1956 or so, and there's my items. So the question is- do I take these antiques- slightly dinged & scratched- and melt them, or throw them on eBay and use the money for buying other lead/tin alloys? Hmm....

I've found pieces from the Williamsburg Restoration and given them away as Christmas presents. Their value as an antique makes them worth giving away cuz my out of pocket cost is so low. What somebody will actually pay you is a different matter.
If you have enough stashed to alloy to your satisfaction, then put them up for auction and see what they'll bring. If you get more then $18/lb then you'll have money to buy tin from our sponsor Rotometals. If your stash is low then in the pot it goes.
It ain't real colonial stuff, it was from the gift shop next to the hotdog stand. It has no historical significance. Melt away.

jsizemore
06-17-2011, 07:30 PM
James, I look for the muffin tins that are rusty and nasty looking from baking. They will release the ingots easily. If their new then I spray them with saltwater and leave them outside till they look nasty and no one would ever use them for baking.

clodhopper
06-18-2011, 01:56 AM
I have brought home some pewter from the salvation army that my wife will not let me melt.
So it sits on the nic nack shelf.
Pretty little ingots just waiting to be used.
She keeps them dusted!

evan price
06-18-2011, 06:08 AM
LOL to Imashooter: I have the exact same scale as you.... eBay, right? :lol:

Your candlesticks say "WEIGHTED" right there on the base. Seen them before...That plastic **** busts right out. Luckily mine are hollow, no weights. The only thing that wasn't was the shotglass, it has a glass shotglass inside the pewter.

evan price
06-18-2011, 06:11 AM
I've found pieces from the Williamsburg Restoration and given them away as Christmas presents. Their value as an antique makes them worth giving away cuz my out of pocket cost is so low. What somebody will actually pay you is a different matter.
If you have enough stashed to alloy to your satisfaction, then put them up for auction and see what they'll bring. If you get more then $18/lb then you'll have money to buy tin from our sponsor Rotometals. If your stash is low then in the pot it goes.
It ain't real colonial stuff, it was from the gift shop next to the hotdog stand. It has no historical significance. Melt away.

Good to know, I thought it was reproduction but if it is souvenier grade repro it is even less valuable to me. MELT it all! For $6 total investment on this 2 pounds I can't buy tin that

Baron von Trollwhack
06-18-2011, 07:00 AM
What ? No felt hats in great piles that the fellows tell us about 47 times a year?

BvT

imashooter2
06-18-2011, 07:47 AM
LOL to Imashooter: I have the exact same scale as you.... eBay, right? :lol:

Your candlesticks say "WEIGHTED" right there on the base. Seen them before...That plastic **** busts right out. Luckily mine are hollow, no weights. The only thing that wasn't was the shotglass, it has a glass shotglass inside the pewter.

I bought that scale with the wall wart from a guy on another forum. I had been happily weighing everything on an old 5 pound spring type postal scale, but couldn't pass up the 35 pound capacity at the price he wanted. However, the guy I bought from did say he got it on eBay.

I didn't mean any disrespect or to imply that you didn't know what you were buying. But I still remember picking up my first "weighted" candlestick and thinking I hit the jackpot before I turned it over to look for a hallmark. I just tossed that post out as general information so the uninitiated might see just how much weight is in "weighted."

missionary5155
06-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Good morning
Womens linen pants.. great patch material.
Mike in Peru

Baron von Trollwhack
06-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Use silk, you will get an extra 50 yards.

(Hollywood M/L wisdom...Last of the Mohicans, Daniel Day Lewis)

HOLY COW ! Been waiting years for that lead. Thanks, BvT

troy_mclure
06-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Good morning
Womens linen pants.. great patch material.
Mike in Peru

ive been looking for linen anything and felt hats at these stores for years now, never seen either.

10 ga
06-21-2011, 09:05 PM
I always find plenty of linen and felt hats. When I make a run as per to Fredericksburg VA there are 2 Salvation Army and at least 3 Goodwill Stores. And if it's saturday I start early to hit some yard sales. Best buy lately was a 2# real pewter eagle head paperweight at Goodwill at $.99, got lotsa little coins outa that! Always find something really good on every trip. Blends well with a trip to one of the gun shows. I'm about equal distance from Richmond or Fredericksburg VA so it's about a once a month thing either to Fredericksburg or Richmond and that keeps the shootin cheap. 10

troy_mclure
06-21-2011, 11:18 PM
found 2 solid pewter candle sticks, i estimate 1.5lbs for the pair. i couldnt talk the lady down from $12. my limit on pewter purchases is $5/lb.