PDA

View Full Version : Jer-Bear

Jer-Bear
06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I have been looking at the White Label Lubes because of recommendations and cost. I cast for 9 mm and 45 ACP and I want a lube that does not smoke or smokes the least. I use a Lyman lube-sizer to apply the lube. I do not have a heater but if it is needed for the "smokeless" lube I don't mind getting the heater. Any suggestions?

Jer-Bear
06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Sorry this was my first post and I messed up alittle on the title. Should have titleed it What is the best smokeless lube?

mebe007
06-14-2011, 10:54 AM
I use bac and it smokes a little, carnuba red smokes less but needs a heater. Just use a 100 watt light bulb

geargnasher
06-14-2011, 02:13 PM
There is no "best" smokeless lube, just the lube that works best for your particular guns, pressures, boolits, loading techniques, climate, etc.

For 9mm and .45 ACP White Label BAC should be fine. I don't know where you live, but Carnauba Red is always a good choice in hot weather, especially if you have a heater for your sizer. In cold weather (below 40 degrees) it's not the best choice for anything, much less pistol.

Any brand of NRA 50/50 Alox/beeswax (like Javalina, Lyman, Lee, etc.) should be fine.

Gear

mdi
06-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Good advise so far. You can give White Lable a call or email Glen and see what he recommends. They have always answered my emails quickly.
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

noylj
06-14-2011, 05:51 PM
If smoke is that big a deal (what are you doing, shooting submachine guns?), then you want a hard wax--carnauba, jojoba, and such. However, a hard wax is not the best choice for low velocities.
You could simply try some combination of carnauba wax, beeswax, and petrolatum--particularly for low velocity .45 Auto loads. This will also eliminate the LLA smell. However, you are giving up the extra protection from leading that Alox (grease or undercoating types) provides.
Personally, I NEVER notice smoke when I am shooting. I am focused on the target and trigger and seem to "look through" any smoke. However, I can imagine that if you are trying to see how fast you can get 15 shots off, you might notice smoke.
I have been shooting nothing but LLA-lubed as-cast bullets for the last several years and only notice smoke when I am thinking about it from all the posts from people complaining about it. Still, the little smoke I do notice disperses very quickly.
Besides tumble-lubing with Recluse's 45/45/10, I think that I will try pan-lubing with BAC. You also might want to give the 45/45/10 tumble-lube a try.
Rather than sweat the smoke, think of all the additional trigger time you get not having to pay retail price for your bullets.