PDA

View Full Version : OT, however....

63 Shiloh
06-14-2011, 07:21 AM
One of the few rifles I do not cast for is my .300 Win Mag.

I aim to try some 180-200gn cast in the future. Any recommendations on boolit, lube and powder combo would be very welcome.

OK, to the OT part, I was loading up some 180gn Barnes TTSX last night. I kept looking at the grooves in the TTSX and wondered; would lube in these grooves on the TTSX be beneficial in anyway?

I am sure someone has done it, just to see, so what was the result?

Less fouling?

Any observations?

Just curious and will try it myself. Thinking of using Rooster HVR on the grooves covered by the case neck. Shoot over a chrony and just see what happens.

Mike

Mk42gunner
06-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Mike,

I haven't shot cast out of a .300 Win Mag, yet. Primarily because I decided long ago that if I need more power than a .30-06, I would go to a larger diameter projectile. That and the fact that every .300 I ever shot seemed to recoil more than the .338s.

With that said, the first boolit I try in any .30-.31 caliber rifle is the Lee 312-185, the one they say is for the .303 British. Mine drops ACWW at about .313", so I lube and apply gaschecks in a .313 die. If I need it smaller, then I run it through a .311 Lee die.

Quite often it is accurate enough for what I want and I never get around to using another boolit.

Robert

pdawg_shooter
06-14-2011, 08:01 AM
I use the Lyman 311284 sized .3015 and patched up to .310 in my 300RUM. Over R25 I get just a hair over 300fps. Works great for me.

sqlbullet
06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I load a 200 Gr Lee sized .309, gas checked and lubed with Felix Lube over H4831 and a little bit of poly-fill. I think my charge was 57 grains, but I don't have my load book with me.

Larry Gibson
06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
The Lyman 311299 is a very good cast bullet for the short necked .300 Win Mag. The lube grooves and GC can be kepted within the case neck. Many .300 win mags have relatively short throats also so it works well there. Suggest a medium or slower burning powder with dacron fillers in NS'd fire formed cases and keep velocities under 1950 fps for best accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Tatume
06-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Some years ago there was a series of articles published in "Precision Shooting" about applying grease to jacketed-bullet ammunition. The British fellow who wrote them was a target shooter, and he claimed less fouling, the ability to run at higher velocity, and better accuracy to be the benefits. He applied the grease after the bullet was loaded, using his fingertip to wipe a dab into the corner of the case mouth and the bullet. This amounted to a very small amount of grease, but he said is was enough that it would drip from the muzzle after a series of shots. The practice doesn't seem to have caught on, as I don't see anybody doing it on the high power circuit.

Tatume
06-14-2011, 01:41 PM
I use the Lyman 311284 sized .3015 and patched up to .310 in my 300RUM. Over R25 I get just a hair over 300fps. Works great for me.

I'd be afraid of getting one stuck in the barrel. :-) (Just joking, I know it was a typo.)

dnepr
06-14-2011, 08:23 PM
OK, to the OT part, I was loading up some 180gn Barnes TTSX last night. I kept looking at the grooves in the TTSX and wondered; would lube in these grooves on the TTSX be beneficial in anyway?

I am sure someone has done it, just to see, so what was the result?

Less fouling?

Any observations?

Just curious and will try it myself. Thinking of using Rooster HVR on the grooves covered by the case neck. Shoot over a chrony and just see what happens.

Mike

At least I am not the only one who has looked at those grooves and thought about putting lube into them :lol:

63 Shiloh
06-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the replies fellers.

Appreciate the suggestions, pdawg, damn, you are running cast fast mate! I will work up to that myself.

Got some loading to do now, I will also use the dacron/poly fill with the faster powders, going to try Trail Boss too.

Tatume, very interesting reply, I will have to search for that article myself.

Glad I am not the only one to have thought about these grooves needing some lube!

OK, .300 win mag cast reloading is on!

Mike

pdawg_shooter
06-15-2011, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=63 Shiloh;1303457]Thanks for the replies fellers.

Appreciate the suggestions, pdawg, damn, you are running cast fast mate! I will work up to that myself.

Got some loading to do now, I will also use the dacron/poly fill with the faster powders, going to try Trail Boss too.

Tatume, very interesting reply, I will have to search for that article myself.

Glad I am not the only one to have thought about these grooves needing some lube!

OK, .300 win mag cast reloading is on!
The secrete is the paper. No leading, no bullet distortion due to acceleration. The paper supports the bullet in the barrel so accuracy is easy to get.