PDA

View Full Version : Thumler Model B

rondog
06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Hey all, I'm really interested in making the switch to stainless steel pin media for brass polishing, but the cost of a Thumler's Model B is holding me back. Any recommendations for a good place to get one for the best price? They seem to be pretty scarce as used items, and this is the best price I've found so far for new. Is this a good deal? Thanks! http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/Thumlers-Tumblers-Model-B-Rock-Tumbler?sc=75&category=826104

GP100man
06-13-2011, 06:54 PM
What is the warranty on RCBSs Sidewinder ???

4 initial investment ????

Ultrasonic cleaners ?????

rondog
06-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Needs to be a rotary tumbler for wet polishing with stainless steel pins. Ever seen the results of brass polishing done that way? Very impressive. http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/brass-cleaning-with-stainless-media/

LUBEDUDE
06-13-2011, 08:13 PM

Don't know warranty of Sidewinder, but the cost is more than double the Thumblers.

Being, electronic, don't see how the warranty could be fantastic.

rollmyown
06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
That looks like the standard model (at hobby warehouse). The high speed one is recomended for tumbling brass. I've recently got one and I'm very happy with mine. I'm using Lemishine and Morning Fresh detergent with stainless media. I haven't quite achieved the like new results some others have had, but I plan to ramp up the detergent a little more. The thing I like the most is easy separation of cases from the media, no dust, and no blocked flash holes.

montana_charlie
06-13-2011, 09:22 PM
The Thumler's is a good machine. But Lortone is of equal quality. Their QT-12 has almost the capacity of the Model B and the closure on the drum is much simpler.

Check eBay regularly for both brand names.

CM

cajun shooter
06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
That is a good price if the shipping is correct and it is the High Speed model that is required for wet tumbling with ceramic or steel. You will find sale prices only to find that it is not the HS model. Buffalo Arms was selling the HS model for about $169.

SlimTim
06-14-2011, 06:36 PM
That is a good price if the shipping is correct and it is the High Speed model that is required for wet tumbling with ceramic or steel. You will find sale prices only to find that it is not the HS model. Buffalo Arms was selling the HS model for about $169.

http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html

No mention on the manufacturer's own web page about a high speed model B. Where can I find info on it?

SlimTim

bbqncigars
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
The high speed model is NOT needed for the SS media. My regular speed Thumler does a great job on everything from 25-20WCF to .50BMG. All my brass has gotten sparkling in four hours with some Ivory and Lemishine. YMMV depending on your water.

220swiftfn
06-15-2011, 01:16 AM
*NOT FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE* From what I've read (been planning on the switch to stainless for about 6 months now) the only difference that you'll see is that the slower motor will take an hour longer than the faster one (say, three hours for the 3,000rpm, four for the 1500rpm.)

Dan

bobthenailer
06-15-2011, 07:38 AM
My first case tumbler was a lortone Q-6 ive been useing it for over 30 years , the only thing ive ever had to replace was the motor drive belt one time.
They are actually lapidary/rock tumblers made to run all day if needed ! Cleaning brass usually takes 1 hour . I use bb gun BBs with Joy dishwashing detergent and if theres some tarnished cases add some lemon juice . Fill the brass about 2/3 full and add water to the top of drum. Im sure u will be impressed !
I also clean my brass every time before its reloaded , ive been shooting at least 150 to 300 + rounds a week for the last 30 + years ! not counting range pick up brass .
About 3 years ago i was lucky to pick up a barely used Q - 12 for $25.00 at a local gunshop.
The rock shed has the Q-12 for $174.00 list is $205.00
about 10 years ago i bought a dillon vibrator case cleaner , . i only use the dillon for the corncob/ flitz polish step sometimes as a sort of protective finish on brass instead of being bare & would tarnish sooner than without . As the lortones are alot faster and do a better job for normal cleaning chores. I guess the lortones are the wash & the dillon is the wax !
I have 2 friends that have the thmblers tumblers and the water tight band used to seal the drum when useing a liquid or corncob is a real PITA to install & remove . I see the one you were looking at uses wing nuts for the lid .
I would highly recommend the LORTONES ! I also know a few other people who have them and they have had no problems either.
If you decide on the Thumblers make sure it can use liquids without leaking ! before buying

cajun shooter
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
rondog, Go to the thumblers web site. They only sell for a few dollars difference than the standard model. They say HS but it is built heavy duty as well. I have used the model B since 1970 and will say that I think I know of what I speak. The reason that the HS is better for about $5 difference is that any load with water will add weight as opposed to corn cob media. It will also turn the drum faster which cuts down on cleaning time. Call and ask the people at Buffalo Arms or the factory and see what they say. The only thing that has broken on me is the belts and one shaft. Well worth what they cost. Mine are also working every week and not sitting with dust on them which gives me some use to judge by. I use the ceramic media in two sizes as I am a 100% BP shooter and need my cases clean inside and out. Any time you use water it adds weight and can't be judged the same as one who uses corn cob media. I have never had one single leak since 1970 so I would say the proofs in the pudding .

capreppy
06-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Cabela's is an option and it is guaranteed to be the High Speed model. I did Cabela's for a couple of reasons. Free Ship to Store, but did have to pay sales tax. I did have quite a few Cabela's points and used the points to reduce my initial outlay. Plus I returned one of my 2 Cabela's vibratory tumblers to additionally help offset the cost.

I've had mine for a month now and have processed almost all of my brass thru it (6k pieces of 45ACP, 11k pieces of 9mm Luger, 4k pieces of 40 S&W, 6k pieces of .223 Remington/5.56 NATO, 2k pieces of .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO and a boat load of miscellaneous brass). Results are nothing short of amazing. I bought 2.3k 5.56 NATO brass for $83 shipped. They were definitely tarnished and a little dirty. Wasn't going to take the time to initially decap them, so I just ran them thru the tumbler. 3 hours and the brass is 90% of new. I'll finish processing these over the weekend and then give them some additional time to get rid of the lube and get them to 100% of new. I did the same with some 7.62 NATO that I got (they were brown and no brass was showing), but after a little loving with the SS media, I could not tell that they had ever had any tarnish on them. The SS media even got the extractor groves shiny. It is that good.

zuke
06-19-2011, 07:20 AM
I save my money for big expensive item's for shooting this way.
Go to Walmart and get you one of their $20.00 coin sorter's.
When ever you have too much change just throw it in the sorter and flip the switch to sort them.
After awhile you'll have a pile of rolled coin's.
Here in Canada we have $1 and $2 dollar coin's,they add up pretty fast.

azcruiser
06-20-2011, 06:45 AM
check a place that sells lapidairy supplies
http://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/category.php?catID=102

LUBEDUDE
06-21-2011, 01:52 AM
I have both Thumbers, a model B and a Hight Speed. Between the two go the high speed. You can carry a heavier load and it works quicker. Now you do have to be careful with liquids and tighten carefully. I have had leakage. If I had read here first i would try the Lortones first.
In fact, I just may get one to try out.

bobthenailer
06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
LUBEDUDE IMO i would get the QT-12 !

thehouseproduct
06-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, I took you up on this advice. Just bought a QT-12 for $79.

7of7
06-25-2011, 01:25 PM
stainlesstumblingmedia.com (http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stm-complete-package-2.html)
They have a complete package for $226.00 + Shipping..
-5lbs Stainless Steel Media
-Thumler's Rotary High Speed Tumbler
-LemiShine Detergent

I think it is a really good deal..

7of7
06-25-2011, 01:44 PM

$79.00,...Where?

Tom-ADC
06-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Rondog if it helps my model be is over 30 years old and works just fine, I just replaced the rollers but thats it.

thehouseproduct
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
$79.00,...Where?
Don't buy second rate, buy second hand! eBay! :-)

Check the lapidary tools section. Now I just need stainless media.

Clark
06-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I got one from Buffalo Arms.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164290&MANF=1139

Then I found out that these things are in half the garages around here. Rock tumblers use them.

GRININ, BAREIT
06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Got my model B in 1975. Had to repklace the rubber liner in c2009.
Grinin Bareit

montana_charlie
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
For you guys using the Lortone with liquid ...

Put your stuff in the drum, then set the bottom of the drum on your knee with a firm 'thud'. That puts a shallow 'dent' in the bottom.
Hold it on your knee (so the dent doesn't disappear) while you put the lid(s) on.

Now, when you are tumbling and the material heats up some, the drum has room to expand for the extra pressure. It keeps pressure off of the lid seal.

CM

dromia
06-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Welcome to :cbpour:Grinin.

thehouseproduct
06-28-2011, 06:57 PM
So, montana_charlie and bobthenailer, Since the Lortone is only 12lb capacity, what ratio of media/brass/water do you use? 4/2/6?

4719dave
07-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Ya where ?????????????????????????

SlimTim
08-23-2011, 07:40 AM
So, montana_charlie and bobthenailer, Since the Lortone is only 12lb capacity, what ratio of media/brass/water do you use? 4/2/6?

And what about the Lortone 66? I've got two 6 lb. drums, interested in the proper mix myself.

SlimTim

thehouseproduct
08-23-2011, 09:15 AM
I've ended up with 5lbs of pins, 6-7lbs of water and 1-2lbs of brass.

7of7
08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
I have the QT12, all I do is add brass to about 1/2 full, and then add water to cover the brass, 1/2 tsp citric acid (from the local brew supply store) and a drop of dawn dish soap..(to much dawn and the brass comes out with a black coating which will need to be cleaned off by running again without the soap) and of course the 5lbs of pins..
I think the 10 sides increases the action quite a bit..
Montana Charlie has a good point.. I just use a shop rag balled up.. It only takes 1 - 2 hours to clean the brass..

LUBEDUDE
08-26-2011, 10:47 PM

Thanks, you had me sold.

Then I saw where thehouseproject picked one up fro $79 on Ebay.

So I went to EBay, and I saw those BEEFY 40 pounder units that look like something those awesome dudes here one the forum would make. So I am going to go for it.

Thanks for the lead guys, I'll let you know how it works out.

SlimTim
08-26-2011, 11:02 PM
I have the QT12, all I do is add brass to about 1/2 full, and then add water to cover the brass, 1/2 tsp citric acid (from the local brew supply store) and a drop of dawn dish soap..(to much dawn and the brass comes out with a black coating which will need to be cleaned off by running again without the soap) and of course the 5lbs of pins..

As I'll be running two 6 lb drums, sounds like I need to start out with 1/4 tsp of the detergent and a half drop of Dawn in each drum. May ultimately buy a 12 lb drum, but I have a feeling the two 6 lb drums will come in handy.

Thanks for the details.

SlimTim

williamwaco
08-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Any recommendations for a good place to get one for the best price?

Try Harbor Freight Tools. I looked, they do not have it on their web site but my store has it on the shelf. I don't know the price.