PDA

View Full Version : Safety Question Overall Length 44 Special

Thebeancounter
06-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I am working my way through initial setup.
I have reloaded shot shell for years, but hand guns is a new ballgame for me.
New gun - S&W 529 5 inch
Cast bullets - Lee 200 GR round nose
Titegroup 4.5 grains
Alox lube
Winchester brass

I got a tad sideways and expanded the throats of 4 pieces of brass a little too much before I realized I could back off the sizing die. Because the case was sloppy, the bullet slid in too far. The entire round's length is 1.415 instead of 1.615.

Rather than taking the round apart can I shoot them without creating a dangerous situation?

Any pearls of wisdom would be most appreciated.

- Bill

06-12-2011, 10:41 PM
I would pull them. Why take a chance?

songdog53
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Pull them rather than risk your health or ruining nice revolver. Might shoot good and have no problem but why take the chance. Seating bullet too deep drives up pressure, course if shooting in 44 mag revolver all might go well but I would pull them.

rintinglen
06-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Seating too deep can double pressures. Don't take a chance, there are enough photos of blown guns already.
If you don't own a bullit puller, a pair of padded pliers can work as in impact puller, especially since there only four of them.

MtGun44
06-15-2011, 03:08 PM
If you have an inertia puller (hammer puller, also known as the reloader's eraser) just whack
them a few times until the depth is about right.

Bill

Thebeancounter
06-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks. I have one and I will use it. All loads will be the correct length.

rintinglen
06-18-2011, 11:40 AM
"Shooting to get rid of reloading mistakes." File under Bad Idea.
Some years back there was a great deal of hoopla about "Detonation" of certain commonly used light powder charges. Several enterprising companies thoroughly investigated the situation, but were never able to duplicate the effect. However, Hercules published an interesting account of their investigation wherein they were able to deep seat a round by just about .2 inches and nearly double the pressure. Your magnum might still be ok, that load that you've listed is not a barn burner, but is 60 cents worth of brass worth risking your gun, your hand or an eye over?