PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACPs

Curly James
06-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I have a couple of .45 ACPs that are part of my modest collection of handguns. The S&W 1911 is one I came by in a trade a few years ago and I was glad to discover it loves cast boolits. A very sweet shooter and a favorite at the range. I really don’t like defensive firearms with safeties and, while I love to shoot this 1911, I do not carry it for self defense. I know I will hear about that last statement so before ya’ll come for me with a rope, what you carry for protection is a very personal choice. Kinda like your underwear

The Glock 30 was a really nice priced purchase to resale until I made the mistake of shooting the darn thing. Soft shooting and accurate, it stayed. It is a very compact and powerful gun and may replace my trusty Glock 27 as my daily carry gun. Like my other Glocks I have an aftermarket barrel for the Model 30 for shooting cast. I have also found a couple of model 21 magazines and with a mag spacer to fill in the gap I can have 14 rounds in the gun. If you haven’t handled it with 14 rounds of 45 you are in a world of hurt. Mostly I use the factory 10 round mags when packing this one but the extra capacity is nice to have available. I favor two boolits in these guns. Both are Lee Precision products with the 230 grain TC being my most used. I also have a Lee 200 RNFP that works really well ,even with if it being designed as a revolver boolit.

Throw them out there guys, lets see what you got.

gray wolf
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
What is the point of your post ?

44MAG#1
06-13-2011, 10:06 AM
"Throw them out there guys, lets see what you got"
I take it to mean for others to throw out there what they have. He just told us what he had. And what he likes about them and about his Glock barrel for cast. Maybe I'm wrong though. Oh yes, he even included a photo of them.

bigboredad
06-13-2011, 10:57 AM
I love the .45acp round it is only 2nd in favorites behind the .45 colt. I have never shot a .45 acp gun I did not like I even enjoyed the tiny kahr cw4. but sadly I just own one right its my daily carry Springfield xd45 compact. I have a love hate thing with this gun. The trigger is very different and if you are like me and used to a 1911 it will take a little bit to get used to it. It has been 100% reliable even after a 1000 rounds between cleaning. I was trying to see how long it would go before it needed to be cleaned. But after 1000 rounds I gave up and cleaned. It is accurate enough for me and I can hide it reasonably well.

Curly James
06-13-2011, 11:20 AM
What is the point of your post ?

No real point, just making conversation and am always curious as to what other have and what they do with them.

Bigboredad, the little Springfield is a great carry gun. If I didn't have the Glock I would be looking very seriously at that one myself.

Like I said, I like to see and hear about other folks guns and, while I am a poor photographer, I like to show mine off to like minded individuals.

Char-Gar
06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
This sort of stuff goes on over and over again, with one person trying to convince himself or others that what he has is best.

I have lots of experience with the 1911 pistol and the 45 ACP round, but I keep a Glock 17 close at hand for serious social purposes. Each to their own!

doghawg
06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Curly James......I've been a handgun fan for 45 years but NEVER owned a .45 ACP!! Every time I had a few bucks stashed away for a new toy I just bought another revolver. That might change now with the intro of the Ruger SR1911.....Everyone should own at least one 1911 shouldn't they?
I've personally never liked the looks of the Glock pistol but a lot of people trust and depend on them as you obviously do.

shooting on a shoestring
06-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Doghawg...I'm the same way. Only auto I own is a Model 63 Winchester. Revolvers...love em. I've seen some folks shoot autos pretty fast, and fairly good at short distances, never saw one shoot an auto at 100yds and stay on the backstop. Of course most don't need or want to shoot that far, but I do and my .38s get wadcutters all the way there.

Curly James, not meaning to flame, power to you and your autos. But, how do they group at 100 yards?

Groo
06-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Groo here
James , you just hit the round gun / self feeder guys...
Your glock is fine for its intended purpose,, go bang every time you need it..
As to the longer range guys-- my g-35 357sig ] 5in slide 6 in barrel red dot on slide] will stay on a paper plate at 125 yds when I do my part...

mack1
06-14-2011, 12:07 AM
625 makes a nice 45acp revolver once the new wears off a new 1911 I always go back to my 625mg for regular range sessions

gray wolf
06-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Ok, now I see what your post was for, so we argue over what pistol is good for 100 yards.
Well I can chime in on that. I didn't get a 1911 to shoot at 100 yards, but to say they wont hit the backstop is nonsense. You don't want to be a cinder block or a Milk jug at 100 yards when I am shooting. I get there with target loads and I hit the backstop after the bullet goes through the milk jug. Just say-in.
A 1911 is not a 357 or a 41 or a 44 Mag. never was meant to be. But to say you would hold a target at chest height while I shot at it from 100yards makes no sense at all.
But again --just say-in. No wise guy here.

Wally
06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a Ruger Blackhawk w/ a .45 ACP cylinder. It is very pleasant to shoot using a 200 grain SWC bullet and I don't have to load clips or chase brass. I delightful plinker that has ventilated many steel cans over the years for me...accurate as well.

9.3X62AL
06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
MANY 45 ACP pistols and a few revolvers over the years. Current inhabitants of the safe are a Colt Series 80 GCNM and a S&W 645. My next 45 ACP will be either a Commander model or one of the sub-compact Glocks. I REALLY wish Glock made a 45 ACP in the Glock 19/23 size, my G-23 is well-nigh perfect as a carry iron.

Curly James
06-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Hey Al, The G30 is close to the size of the G23. The photo shows it next to my G27 with the extension on the magazine. It is also about 1/8 inch thicker than the smaller framed Glocks. However, IMHO, the G23 will do about anything the G30 will do in a self defense situation.
Also in the photo is my Blackhawk with the .45 ACP cylinder installed. The plus to the Ruger, I don’t have to chase brass around the range.
If I go dig it out there is also a S&W 625, that while a little ammo finicky, is a lot of fun to shoot. Reloads are like lightening with the moon clips but reloading the moon clips is a pain in the rear.