PDA

View Full Version : 32 SW long shotshells

jumbeaux
06-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I am looking for info/data for shotshells for the 32 S & W Long. I have been considering utilizing .327 Federal Magnum Brass with a powder charge, cardboard or cork wad, shot and an overwad possibly sealed with silicon or waterglass. Would like to use Unique and 7 1/2 or smaller (9) shot. Does this sound like a doable combination. I really like my pre-Model 30 and would like to use it as a kit gun (snakes).....Thank you all....

rick

smkummer
06-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Find yourself a 38. Even with the 38 Speer shot shells and 9 shot, it really only "patterns" to 10 feet or less. Meaning I would not expect it to kill a rattler at 15 feet. It would be hard to imagine a 32 having any type of pattern much beyond about 6 feet and that might be getting somewhat close to a rattler. You would be better off loading 2 lead balls in the 32 long than trying shot.

curiousgeorge
06-13-2011, 08:11 AM
I think your shot size is way to large for the .32 S&W Long. Try a card wad or a gas check turned upside down over the powder charge. I then pour in the shot and put another .30 caliber gas check over the shot and very carefully run into the crimp die. I use #10 shot because I still have 20 pounds of it. If and when I run out of that, I will switch to #9 shot. The .32 shot load isn't a long range killer, but I have used it on snakes and frogs at close range ( 8 to 10 feet) and the #10 shot does a good job.

Steve