PDA

View Full Version : Wild Asparagus?

PatMarlin
06-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Found this today at the creek.

Is this wild Asparagus? It has the same texture. Taste could be very close but not as strong as store bought. I'm trying to learn about all the local edible plants.

http://www.patmarlins.com/asparagus1.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/asparagus2.jpg

swheeler
06-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Pat I've got a couple places I pick it along the RR tracks, but it looks just like the store bought stuff, no blue pods or flowers? I wrap it in tin foil with butter, salt and pepper, dang it your making me hungry!

scb
06-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Pat I've got a couple places I pick it along the RR tracks, but it looks just like the store bought stuff, no blue pods or flowers? I wrap it in tin foil with butter, salt and pepper, dang it your making me hungry!

+1 Any I've found growing wild looks just like store bought.

legend
06-12-2011, 07:58 PM
yes,but you were a tiny bit late.we mark the date found on NEXT years calendar,then start looking a week before that date.

i am looking tomorrow(two days off).

PatMarlin
06-12-2011, 10:39 PM
yes,but you were a tiny bit late.we mark the date found on NEXT years calendar,then start looking a week before that date.

i am looking tomorrow(two days off).

Yes mine are?

There's a lot of new sprouts. The one on the left looks older, flowered.

PatMarlin
06-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Spring just got started last week., Summer will be here tomorrow.

reloader28
06-12-2011, 11:09 PM
It dont look quite like ours.
I would be suspicious.
Maybe you have a different kind?

Johnch
06-12-2011, 11:21 PM
I did a quick search
Here is a link to some pic's

John

link (http://www.arkive.org/wild-asparagus/asparagus--prostratus/photos.html)

PatMarlin
06-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Sure looks different. I'll keep checking.

DrB
06-12-2011, 11:40 PM
That's not asparagus.

That's a flower head. Asparagus heads leaf out into a fern spray of leaves. Those shoots that come up turn into the only leaves you'll find on asparagus. I'll bet those shoots you picked had true leaves at the base of the shoot? Regardless, that ain't asparagus.

Be careful, my friend. :)

My general rule is to check identification for a new wild edible (unless it has fur :)) from two different references and positively exclude all cited look alikes. This practice has kept me from a single illness (knock on wood) through seven years of wild mushroom hunting.

Best regards,
DrB

waksupi
06-13-2011, 12:48 AM
That is NOT asparagus!

PatMarlin
06-13-2011, 11:14 AM
I could send some up for you to try Ric? ...:mrgreen:

waksupi
06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
I could send some up for you to try Ric? ...:mrgreen:

Try smoking it, Pat! [smilie=1:

swheeler
06-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Try smoking it, Pat! [smilie=1:

I think he has been![smilie=w:

PatMarlin
06-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Come on Ric.

What happened to the days of wild women, Johnny Walker, and wild asparagus?

m1g
06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Asparagus is done here in Indiana. I work for the Wayne county highway and bridge here and being all over the county I see where all the asparagus is. Pick alot of it.
I just planted 25 asparagus roots in my back yard so me & the wife should be set in a coupla years.

reloader28
06-15-2011, 12:30 AM
We were building fence today, and I noticed with all the rain we've had that the cactus and yuccas are going to bloom this year. Normally we only get about 7" of moisture a year here and even the cactus and yuccas usually dont bloom. Too dry I guess.

Anyway, I noticed that the unopened flowering stems on the yuccas looked just like big asparagus. Even more so than Pats picture. They're about 3/4" - 1" diameter and 16" high. Made me hungary, but I didnt try any.

Longwood
06-15-2011, 01:59 AM
We were building fence today, and I noticed with all the rain we've had that the cactus and yuccas are going to bloom this year. Normally we only get about 7" of moisture a year here and even the cactus and yuccas usually dont bloom. Too dry I guess.

Anyway, I noticed that the unopened flowering stems on the yuccas looked just like big asparagus. Even more so than Pats picture. They're about 3/4" - 1" diameter and 16" high. Made me hungary, but I didnt try any.

Here in California, the natives would dig a hole and put the shoots in it then build a fire on top. They are plentiful here too but I have never tried them and have no idea how they taste. The natives ate just about everything that did not kill them or make them sick. Very few of the offspring can stomach the acorn product.
I love the story a native told me once.
If they did not know if a plant was OK, they would feed it to an expendable child for a test.

biker_trash_1340
06-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Back in the 70's my Dad would mark the plants on the side of the road with beer cans. Then would send us kids out to mark a near by tree so we could find it the next year. There easy to spot in the ditch after they "go to seed."

Dale53
06-16-2011, 12:36 AM
If you are truly interested in edible wild plants, I can recommend a good book on the subject:

Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons:

http://www.amazon.com/Stalking-Wild-Asparagus-Euell-Gibbons/dp/0911469036/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308198754&sr=1-1

Dale53

swheeler
06-16-2011, 10:04 AM
If you are truly interested in edible wild plants, I can recommend a good book on the subject:

Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons:

http://www.amazon.com/Stalking-Wild-Asparagus-Euell-Gibbons/dp/0911469036/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308198754&sr=1-1

Dale53

I remember "tree bark" Gibbons:wink:

Longwood
06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Here in California, the natives would dig a hole and put the shoots in it then build a fire on top. They are plentiful here too but I have never tried them and have no idea how they taste. The natives ate just about everything that did not kill them or make them sick. Very few of the offspring can stomach the acorn product.
I love the story a native told me once.
If they did not know if a plant was OK, they would feed it to an expendable child for a test.

I asked Miss Google yesterday and found out the Yucca has a edible root that is similar to potatoes.
Some Nolina's - which look similar - have an edible shoot.