PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler Repair

armexman
06-12-2011, 01:48 PM
All I have a old Midway tumbler that leaks from some openings in the polypropylene bowl, actually almost like slits instead of large gaps, nonetheless big enough that media is found on the floor after cleaning sessions.
Does anybody know what I can use to repair these slits?

Maven
06-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Can you remove the bowl and see the slits clearly? If so, latex or silicon caulking should solve the problem.

Bwana
06-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Put the silicone on the outside of the bowl. By the time that happens I have generally had to repair electrical wiring connections. I bought my last two when Midway had them on sale for $32.00. I like having three as sometimes I'm processing over 90 lbs from the range.

Hardcast416taylor
06-12-2011, 02:06 PM
You didn`t think to use the "handymans secret"????? DUCT TAPE!!!Robert

1874Sharps
06-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I used to have this same problem with the same vibrating tumbler. The thing that fixed it for me was not sealing the lid from the very fine dust that it creates and spreads, but rather controling the dust. I read somewhere (I think it was on this forum) that someone added a little Turtle Wax to the media and that it captured the dust. I tried it and the trick works great! The brass comes out without dusty grit on it and none goes all around the tumbler as it operates.

lbaize3
06-12-2011, 04:14 PM
My Lyman 2500 tumbler fell off the table in the garage and cracked the tub. Black Gorilla Duct tape repaired it just fine. One of these days I am going to use Goop glue to fix it permanently.

mold maker
06-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Lyman and some others sell replacement bowls. They aren't that expensive

armexman
06-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Thank You all, another case of bringing questions and concerns to this board. The suggestions will be performed except the "buy just the bowl".

Bwana
06-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I used to have this same problem with the same vibrating tumbler. The thing that fixed it for me was not sealing the lid from the very fine dust that it creates and spreads, but rather controling the dust. I read somewhere (I think it was on this forum) that someone added a little Turtle Wax to the media and that it captured the dust. I tried it and the trick works great! The brass comes out without dusty grit on it and none goes all around the tumbler as it operates.

I use Turtle Wax's "Zip Wax". In case someone hasn't done before and wants to do it, here is an important tip: You can use too much wax/wash. Using too much keeps the media and cases from tumbling properly as it cannot "grip" the sides and flow up and then down. If you get too much wax/wash in the mix add some sink cleanser powder. It is a balancing act. I always pile the brass on a towel and rub them to remove any residue.

Ickisrulz
06-12-2011, 08:05 PM
JB Weld?

bumpo628
06-12-2011, 11:07 PM
+1 for JB Weld
It fixes anything.

edsmith
06-12-2011, 11:22 PM
hot glue :drinks:

zomby woof
06-13-2011, 06:14 PM