PDA

View Full Version : Necessity of Firelapping

wtfooptimax200
06-12-2011, 08:54 AM
I have a new revolver that I would like to make as accurate as possible. Do you feel that firelapping is an automatic necessity or should I see how it shoots before taking this step? I don't mind the additional work, but would like to do what is right for my gun. Has anyone had issues with damage a gun by firelapping?

Thanks for any help.

nicholst55
06-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I have a new revolver that I would like to make as accurate as possible. Do you feel that firelapping is an automatic necessity or should I see how it shoots before taking this step? I don't mind the additional work, but would like to do what is right for my gun. Has anyone had issues with damage a gun by firelapping?

Thanks for any help.

Absolutely not. IMHO, firelapping is not frequently called for. Many people use it as a panacea for other problems without bothering to even attempting to diagnose them first.

Two common problems that firelapping can help alleviate is a constriction under the frame threads, and a constriction where the front sight mounts. You need to do some careful slugging of the bore first to determine if you have either problem.

See what you've got before you do anything to it; it's probably just fine the way it is.

shooting on a shoestring
06-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I've only fire lapped one revolver, a stainless Blackhawk in .357. I wanted to slick up the barrel. Couldn't tell any difference before or after. Turns out my problem was the hammer hitting the side of the frame before the transfer bar. Shimmed the hammer straight and the revolver shot as I expected.

I think most of my accuracy issues originate in either the palm of my hand, or the end of my trigger finger.

Fire lapping can be entertaining for a couple of range sessions, and if you don't get carried away, it'll be ok, but, you can prematurely wear out an otherwise good revolver.

Bass Ackward
06-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Every time you shoot a gun you are fire lapping. The only question is the degree of abrasion you create.

So yes your new revolver should be fire lapped, but I would start out with a box of jacketed and see what the accuracy looks like before you make any other decisions.

First determine if you have a problem.

Reloader06
06-12-2011, 06:55 PM
"First determine if you have a problem. "

+1

Matt

Catshooter
06-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Unless you work for the .gov you should never fix that which isn't broken.

Cat

gray wolf
06-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Unless you work for the gov. don't take something simple and complicate it.
However if you do work for the gov. Appoint some people, form a comity
and then complicate it.

tek4260
06-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Well, what is the revolver in question? I am sure many here have tips and suggestions for every make and model and know the bugs the factory includes with them at no extra charge.

FWIW, I have firelapped one revolver with a rough bore and looking at how smooth it is now, it will become SOP on any new revolver along with cylinder throat work, FC cutting, heavier mainspring, lighter trigger return spring, ect.

wtfooptimax200
06-12-2011, 09:46 PM
The gun in question is a Ruger SRH 9.5"

Onty
06-12-2011, 09:59 PM
See this one http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/59 , excellent article.