PDA

View Full Version : New Molds

Sprue
06-11-2011, 11:00 PM
I just Ordered a Lyman 4 Cav 358665 and a Lee 6 Cav 22 Cal Bator w/GC.

I have never cast 22 cal Boolits before . How do you run your 22 Bator Lee Mold? I'm figuring that it will be like most any other Lee Molds..... run 'em hot.

As for the Lyman I have a few 4 Cavs and they run from the get go.

Lyman 4 cav cost (new) $73.00
Lee Bator 6 cav (new) $36 and change

Comments?

Tks

Moonie
06-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Yes, I have a comment, can you please measure the bator boolits and let us know what the nose measures?

There were some molds that had noses at .225 rather than the .219/.220 they are supposed to be. If they have gotten this issue fixed I'd buy a new 6 cav.

cbrick
06-13-2011, 01:59 PM
I have never cast 22 cal Boolits before . How do you run your 22 Bator Lee Mold? I'm figuring that it will be like most any other Lee Molds..... run 'em hot.

Comments? Tks

I keep hearing the small (22 cal) bullets are really difficult to cast. I don't believe it. I have 22 molds that are a dream to cast with, my newest one is an RCBS and is one of my easiest, best casting molds.

Yes, more heat but for me that's a pot temp of 720-725 not higher that would oxidize the tin much faster.

Don't look at it as pouring lead in your mold, look at it as pouring heat. Aluminum gives up heat much quicker than iron or even brass and your pouring very little heat to start with so a quick casting pace will pour more heat and keep the mold the from loosing heat between pours. Your sprue is also getting less heat per pour so make an extra large sprue puddle to add & keep more heat here also.

The small bullets for me aren't the hard ones to cast, I have a bit more trouble getting a high percentage of keepers with long skinny bullets such as heavy weight 6.5's etc.

Rick

Bullshop
06-13-2011, 02:50 PM
If anyone has one of the Lee Bator 22 cal molds that has the .225" nose and you are not happy with it I would like to buy one.
Please contact me via PM or email as I might miss it if posted here.

felix
06-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I have one from Stubshaft. I am a bad boy and have not opened the box as of yet. It is sitting here, but I have not been in the mood to cast. I was hoping Sundog will do so with the mold for the both of us, but I have not been up to his house to deliver it. Weather around here is very, very different this year so far. I will, sooner or later, I will cast some up if you are in a hurry, Dan. Of course, this is dependent on Stubshaft's yea or nea. ... felix

Moonie
06-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Bullshop, I have a 2 cav and if I can replace it with a properly sized 6 cav I'll take you up on it, if I can't I'll send this one back to Lee for them to replace. I'll let you know.

Sprue
06-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Yes, I have a comment, can you please measure the bator boolits and let us know what the nose measures?

There were some molds that had noses at .225 rather than the .219/.220 they are supposed to be. If they have gotten this issue fixed I'd buy a new 6 cav.

I didn't mark the respective boolits to the cavs but I'm getting from 221 - 224 with random selections from the pile.

Here's the schematic from the Website (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/images/22_bator_zoom.jpg)

Sprue
06-15-2011, 11:23 PM
I keep hearing the small (22 cal) bullets are really difficult to cast. I don't believe it. I have 22 molds that are a dream to cast with, my newest one is an RCBS and is one of my easiest, best casting molds.

Yes, more heat but for me that's a pot temp of 720-725 not higher that would oxidize the tin much faster.

Don't look at it as pouring lead in your mold, look at it as pouring heat. Aluminum gives up heat much quicker than iron or even brass and your pouring very little heat to start with so a quick casting pace will pour more heat and keep the mold the from loosing heat between pours. Your sprue is also getting less heat per pour so make an extra large sprue puddle to add & keep more heat here also.

The small bullets for me aren't the hard ones to cast, I have a bit more trouble getting a high percentage of keepers with long skinny bullets such as heavy weight 6.5's etc.

Rick

My new Lee 6 Cav Bator C225-55 RF mold ran like a top from the get go, this was my first at bat with 22 cal period. I also made thick/heavy sprues and they came out fine.

It just takes getting use to moving the mold at a faster pace for me. Now, I can foresee issues during the sizing and handling of the GC's.

Sprue
06-15-2011, 11:27 PM
If anyone has one of the Lee Bator 22 cal molds that has the .225" nose and you are not happy with it I would like to buy one.
Please contact me via PM or email as I might miss it if posted here.

$35 and change at Midsouth (6 cav)

Moonie
06-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I didn't mark the respective boolits to the cavs but I'm getting from 221 - 224 with random selections from the pile.

Here's the schematic from the Website (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/images/22_bator_zoom.jpg)

The nose section is measuring 221-224??

I'm aware of what they are SUPPOSED to be, just don't have one that casts the way it is supposed to be.

cbrick
06-16-2011, 07:45 PM
I can foresee issues during the sizing and handling of the GC's.

Sizing isn't an issue but on 22's the copper cup isn't called a gas check.

The proper name is . . . PITA. [smilie=1:

Rick