PDA

View Full Version : Question on swaging equipment

OeldeWolf
06-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I read on here a lot more than I post. I recently developed an interest in swaging. I have picked up a couple of pieces, and from reading on here, I understand these will not work with each other.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/OeldeWolf/Dragoon002.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/OeldeWolf/Dragoon004.jpg

The CH dies are a complete set for .38/357, the .44 set is just the body. Model # 409. The Herters has an adapter for standard shell holders added. This can be removed, but why, if it will not do what I want it to do?

Am I correct in understanding that these two sets will not work with each other?

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Here are my thought's on this subject:

1. It looks like the CH base punch is 1/2" fine thread, typical of CH.
the Herters press would need to have the ram modified or replaced
with a Ram that has 1/2" female fine thread to receive the base punch.

2. The main casting of the press is surely strong enough, But the linkage
may not handle the stress...Maybe it will, I'm not sure.

3. Lastly, What I am sure about is there isn't much mechanical advantage
to that design, if your swaging soft lead, you'll probably be OK, but if
you want a harder alloy, you may need to add an extension to the handle,
that's when I would start worrying about the linkage.

I'm sure others will chime in.
Jon

deltaenterprizes
06-12-2011, 09:32 AM
In the pic in the instructions it looks like there is a part that mounts to the CH press to strengthen it for swaging. It makes an "O" press from a "C" press.
Before going to the expense or trouble to modify the Herters and have it do poor quality work because it was not designed for this purpose, look for a Rockchucker press or other "O" press with compound linkage to modify and you will not be disappointed with the results.
Solid rams for Rockchucker presses are readily available. I have been planning to make one for mine.
There is a thread of pics of broken press that a member has broken using them to do things that they were not designed to do.

OeldeWolf
06-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Ok, these dies will not work in anything but an CH press, or a press with a ram replaced with one to fit them.

Well, medical bills are piling up, so I need to sell them. Any idea on the value of them?

Pavogrande
06-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Looks to me like the CH boxed set was made to use on a press with standard ram style shellholders.
Aside from leverage issues, I don't see why it would not work with the herter press.
Herter made similar swaging dies for the model #3 press.