PDA

View Full Version : Final report--38-55 bolt gun

rockrat
06-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Made it back to the range today. Almost didn't go because of the wind , 15-20 mph @ 8'o'clock.

Been going up in charge from the last report, as it seems like all indications showing that groups were shrinking, yet pressure signs were unchanged.

Went up to 36 gr of Varget and groups looked OK. It is the right target. Low shot was from first shot after shooting about 6 bullets made from 223 cases thru the gun. Guess getting some lube back in the barrel after shooting it out with the J-words. Second was higher and last two were next to each other. Had some 36.5 gr loads, but having so much fun shooting the gongs, that I ran out of ammo before shooting the target:veryconfu. Primer was showing just the smallest amout of flattening.

Went up to 37gr. of Varget, all the case will hold, so when I seat the boolit, it just touches the powder. Also backed off the size die 2 turns as it seems like the dies were sizing the cases too much.

As you can see, the gun LIKES the 37gr load. Had such a nice group after 3 shots, I had to stop. Hated to ruin that group. I think I have found THE LOAD, with this boolit, the BRP 378-310. Cast out of #2, water quenched, lubed with "midnight blue" (something I came up with) and sized .379". Velocity was 1885fps with only one shot over the chrony. Smacks the gongs with authority.:bigsmyl2:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/Bigdog337/002-4-3.jpg

Other holes were made with a 338w/m Ruger #1. Have work to do with that one.

Finally, please don't use these loads in your guns. They are out of a bolt gun and way too much for any other rifle

Euan
06-15-2011, 05:05 AM
Rockrat, Thats a fairly stout load. It is almost the same as what I use in my 375/303s with 300gn gc fom air cooled ww. I have found that the 38s seem to be pretty easy to get to shoot with cast boolits. I too make jacketed from 222 or 223 brass, even 38 special. Good chep hunting bullet.
That load will handle any job within reason. It makes it easy to see and hear when you hit those gongs.
Cheers Euan.