PDA

View Full Version : RCBS MOLD dropping undersized

Longone
06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
I just picked up a new RCBS 165 Silhouette mold, I cast some boolits with it today and they drop @ .307" with a #2 alloy and straight WW. Should I send it back or try picking up some lapping compound and spinning a boolit to bring it to size?

Is there a preferred method of lapping if that is the way to go with this mold?

Longone

Calamity Jake
06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Send it back to RCBS with samples, they will replace it.

Longone
06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
That was what I was thinking also, I kept some from each cavity to send along. Too bad, because it drops a nice looking boolit.

Longone

GLL
06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Undersize bullets are an uncommon problem with RCBS molds ! Do not waste time messing with it ! I am sure they will replace the mold !

Jerry

Ben
06-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Longone

RCBS will jump fences to please you.
You just can't beat RCBS's customer service !

onondaga
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM
It could also be that your mold was too cool and you were casting shiny boolits. Shiny boolits can be very undersize.

Try preheating your mold hotter and cast with a fast cadence of 3 to 4 drops a minute till you get boolits that are satiny or slightly frosted. You will get bigger better, filled out boolits that way.

I can get a difference of .002" between shiny and satiny boolits with the same mold in 30 caliber and do it deliberately to demonstrate.

Gary

Longone
06-12-2011, 06:37 AM
onondaga, I did just what you said, set aside some first cast and then some as the mold was up to temp and casting really nice boolits. Not sure why but I did it this time because the 180 SP mold I recently got was a winner right from the package.

I sent a message to RCBS about it so we'll wait to hear. As far as RCBS service goes you fellas are spot on, they are 100% for the customer.

Thanks, Longone

Wayne Smith
06-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Longone, realize we don't know you or your experience. Do you have any idea how accurate and reliable your measurement is? If you are not experienced in close and accurate measurement you may want to read some of the information here about the lack of accuracy in a caliper.

Longone
06-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi Wayne,

I understand your position and rest assured they are under size. I was also casting another mold at the same time, it's a RCBS 30 180 SP. They drop at just shy of .310" as measured from my Starret mic. I am not a fan of using a caliper when a mic can be utilized. Probably from the days of automotive training and rebuilding engines and automatic transmissions.

As I stated earlier I tried 2 different alloys to see if that yielded me anything, no such luck. I'll just wait and see what RCBS has to say when they reply.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Longone

GaryN
06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I tried lapping a steel mold. It made it bigger but it was also out of round. It also took a looooonnnngg time. It wasn't worth it to me when eric at hollowpointmolddotcom will do it for you and get it right.

bhn22
06-13-2011, 11:24 PM
RCBS moulds are proofed for linotype. This may be the issue itself.

Longone
06-14-2011, 06:09 AM
I spoke with customer service yesterday afternoon and that is exactly what the rep said, ( they recommend straight linotype) but wouldn't that make the boolit even smaller than #2 alloy? I think I have read on this forum several times that the more linotype added or even straight linotype would make the boolit drop smaller than a softer alloy like straight WW or #2.

Do I have this correct or backwards?

Longone

cbrick
06-14-2011, 09:16 AM
The higher the antimony percentage the larger the bullet. Lino has 12% antimony, that's alot, very brittle not to mention lino is getting harder and harder to find and expensive.

Are they gonna replace the mold?

Rick

Longone
06-14-2011, 05:55 PM
They said they would replace it, so I guess my question is, obviously each style mold has it's own cherry but would they size them differently for a different style 30 cal. mold?

Longone

ColColt
06-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Apparently Lyman has gone the way of Linotype as well. I was looking in their Revolver and Pistol manual last night and all loads for cast boolits for the 38, 357 and 44 Mag was shown as being made using Linotype instead of their usual Lyman #2. I don't think a lot of us use straight Linotype but it will yield a larger boolit than ww's, 1:20, or a Lyman #2 equivalent. Doesn't make sense for them to cut a mold with that in mind when most use ww's or something like a 50-50 lead to Linotype mix.

cbrick
06-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Strikes me as odd that you got an RCBS mold that casts that small. I've got 20-25 RCBS molds and none of them have come in under caliber diameter. Been a few that I would have liked to see 1 or 2 thousands larger but never under caliber. Been a couple that went Erik Ohlen to have the drive bands opened up but that was more because of my groove diameter than a fault of RCBS.

I have the RCBS 165 Gr Silhouette mold, just checked my mold log and my copy of this molds drops WW +2% Sn at .3102" air cooled and measured a full day after casting.

I'm no machinist but as a SWAG I would say that your mold was cut with an old, worn down cherry and thus the small as cast diameter. If it were me in your shoes I would send it back and get a new one. There is no one anyplace any better than RCBS on warranty.

Whatever you decide to do let us know, if a new mold let us know the diameter.

Rick

cbrick
06-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Strikes me as extremely odd that RCBS would base bullet diameters on lino or that Lyman would use that as a basis for load work in the book. Not saying they aren't doing it, just that it seems so odd.

Lino is getting more and more difficult by the day to even find unless your having it custom made for yourself. A very pricey way to go and I doubt very many people are doing that.

Been a few years now since I've come across any lino at all and should I come across any in the future I wouldn't use it straight, I would blend it with something for the Sb/Sn.

Rick

Longone
06-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Well I gotta tell ya that if they expect me to use the mold with straight linotype I'll be buying another 180 SP mold, because the one I have is perfect for my use. It casts a nice boolit and it shoots very well, I was on the fence about ordering another one to speed up production or try the 165, shoulda gone with the 180 SP.

I'm going to package it up tonight with some sample boolits and a note, send it West and see what they say. I have a lot of green on my bench including 3 Rock Chuckers and I have nothing bad to say about their customer service but like I said if I MUST use straight linotype I'll buy another 180 and see if Eric at Hollow Point Molds can do anything with it.

I'll keep you folks posted.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Longone

duck hollow pete
06-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Right about the Lino, that info. comes with the mould. Send it back, see it how works. I also have the 30-180 SP and the 32-170(.32 spl.) using my simulated #2(ww-babbitt) I get 310+ to 311 301-302 perfect size on the body and nose, I size .310, these also come out around 4 gr. heavy. My 32-170 is a ditto on the weight one cav. at 323-324 the other 324-325. their closer than that looks, sizing 321 for the .32spl and .323 for a yugo m48. I could bump up the one to 325 if need be so send it back and let us know how it comes out. RCBS moulds are nice!

duck hollow pete
06-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Right about the Lino, that info. comes with the mould. Send it back, see it how works. I also have the 30-180 SP and the 32-170(.32 spl.) using my simulated #2(ww-babbitt) I get 310+ to 311 301-302 perfect size on the body and nose, I size .310, these also come out around 4 gr. heavy. My 32-170 is a ditto on the weight one cav. at 323-324 the other 324-325. their closer than that looks, sizing 321 for the .32spl and .323 for a yugo m48. I could bump up the one to 325 if need be so send it back and let us know how it comes out. RCBS moulds are nice!

GLL
06-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Is the RCBS linotype info something new? How many of you have ever seen that come with a mould? I have a bunch of their moulds and have never noticed that ! I have never had an undersize mould either( using WW)!

Jerry

cbrick
06-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Jerry,

I've never seen it and I have 20+ RCBS molds, most bought new and with no such info. I just assumed it was something new with RCBS. Ya know what they about assumptions. :roll:

Rick

duck hollow pete
06-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I've had these two RCBS moulds for 3yrs now, got back into casting after a 25yr lapse and no I was'nt in prison, decided to read the instructions. Under ALLOY it states pistol size and weight at 10 parts lead to 1 part tin and why they choose it. Rifle states size and weight at 85% lead-4% tin-11% antimony or commonly called linotype. I don't know how long for this, but it has also been noted on other posts.

llo

y

BCall
06-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Cimarron Red posted about it here a few months ago. RCBS sent a mold back to him sayinig it was spec'd with lino and it was within specs. I've seen the 10-1 pistol and linotype for rifle thing several times when dealing with RCBS molds.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105940&highlight=RCBS+linotype

Longone
06-15-2011, 08:55 PM
I was curious also and had to look at some of my other RCBS molds and it is just like duck hollow pete stated. I had more questions today and spoke with another customer rep from RCBS and was told that they are now made on CNC machines and apparently they are in an "adjustment period".

I took that to mean that they are kinda hit or miss at this point. BTW, I have called RCBS twice now and both times there was no waiting on the phone in Que to speak with a rep. So maybe they have revamped their system or they were sitting around waiting for me to call.

Longone

BCall
06-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Direct from the little book included with every new RCBS mold.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/RCBSmoldmanual.jpg

Longone
06-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Yep, Thats in with the two new molds I bought but not the older ones. Gotta wonder if this mold is goin to travel cross country and back with out me.

It just dawned on me that there is a way to tell the "New" molds from the older ones. The new ones have the ID milled into them as opposed to the stamp that they used to use.

Hope the pic is clear enough.

Longone

GLL
06-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Longone: Thanks for the photo !

I have 23 RCBS moulds and guess they are all too old to have that little note included. I just checked every box and none have that milled code on the mould either. I find it interesting that they think 10:1 and linotype are "inexpensive" ! Nobody there has purchased tin lately ! :)
I am happy my older versions cast slightly over "spec" with WW !
It is a curious change of policy ! I am still a big RCBS fan ! Love my old A2s ! :) :)

Jerry

duck hollow pete
06-16-2011, 05:41 PM
just checked moulds bought in 08, stamped not milled, but to use lino. I'll bet they replace them.

Longone
06-16-2011, 09:30 PM
just checked moulds bought in 08, stamped not milled, but to use lino. I'll bet they replace them.

Do they drop at least .310" with #2 or WW? How about the nose size?

duck hollow pete
06-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Good 311 nose 302-303

Ben
06-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't take this wrong, but if you had one of AL's NOE molds, we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Ben

leadman
06-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Lino has been the standard for RCBS rifle molds for as long as I can remember.
My olf Lyman cast bullet manual from 20 years ago has many loads with boolits cast from lino. Even the 38 special wadcutter.

Sounds like RCBS is going to the same method of producing moolds as Lee has. One half at a time cut in a CNC milling machine.

Longone
06-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Don't take this wrong, but if you had one of AL's NOE molds, we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I understand what you are saying, this is more about product loyalty you know like Ford or Chevy. I was sent some 165's from a board member to try in my rifle, they shot great, I bought a mold, here we are.

I posted a mold, results question and am awaiting response about a NOE mold.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=119574

I would order one tomorrow if I knew more about their performance, I'm still pretty new to the rifle boolit world and felt pretty confident in buying from someone I have purchased from before. I own 12 other RCBS molds and feel comfortable with their product hence the 165 purchase.

I'll have to wait and see how this plays out, there could be a 165 on the used market soon.

Longone

Longone
06-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Lino has been the standard for RCBS rifle molds for as long as I can remember.
My olf Lyman cast bullet manual from 20 years ago has many loads with boolits cast from lino. Even the 38 special wadcutter.

Sounds like RCBS is going to the same method of producing moolds as Lee has. One half at a time cut in a CNC milling machine.

Hi Leadman,

The instructions that BCALL took the time to post are new to RCBS molds. I have several other RCBS molds which do not have this ratio, so apparently my RCBS 180 SP mold I bought in March of this year is defective because it casts a boolit that can be sized to .309" with WW or #2, maybe I should have sent that one back instead.

Longone

Ben
06-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Longone :

I certainly don't want you to take what I said wrong....but I ordered a 338 cal. 200 gr. g/c mold from RCBS about 2 1/2 yrs. ago. Was hoping for .3405 " + or -.

When the mold arrived it wouldn't throw anything larger than .336 ", you can imagine how well that one would have shot out of a 338 / 06 rifle.

I called RCBS and talked to the plant mgr. He told me that the fellow who had cut molds for them for yrs. had retired and they had " a new guy ". He said he was sorry and to return the mold.

It took a month and a half but RCBS finally sent a mold that cast the proper dia. bullet.

It took about 5 or 6 phone calls to get all this done. Many times I'd be placed on hold for longer than 45 minutes at a time, not counting the fact that I had to pay postage on a mold twice ( once to get it to my home only to find out that it was out of spec. and then to return it for a decent mold ) .

It seems to me that people like AL at NOE pay considerably more attention to detail as he owns the business vs. RCBS's emplyoee ( the new guy ) who is just on payroll. There seems to be a higher degree of quality control and workmanship displayed by people who not only cut the molds but own the company and are the CEO. They realize that a bad mold and / or an unhappy customer on the internet can do a lot of harm to their company ( and quickly ! )

See this link :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66878

AL's ( like many of the other small custom mold makers ) care of customers can't be rivaled.

Lyman seems to be impervious to this concept.

At Lyman, everyone's business seems to be no one's business. You approach AL with a way for him to make a popular mold that is out of production and still allow him to make some money and he listens. Try this with Lyman and see how far you'd get ...........

Good luck with your RCBS mold, if you stay with it long enough, RCBS will eventually make it right to you.

Ben

cbrick
06-18-2011, 10:56 AM
I called RCBS and talked to the plant mgr. He told me that the fellow who had cut molds for them for yrs. had retired and they had " a new guy ". He said he was sorry and to return the mold. Ben

They told me the same thing at about the same time and expanded on it to say, the guy that had just retired and had been there for more than 3 decades got along very well with the older machinery they had, the new machinist not so much. He asked me if I wouldn't mind waiting a bit and then send it back, that as we speak brand new CNC machinery was being installed. I shelved the loading project I was going to do with that bullet, it was a year before I got back to it. I sent the mold back to RCBS and in short order had a new mold that was/is perfection. This mold was the 6.5mm 140 gr.

It was a bit of a pain in the hieny but I thought that was being extemely honest and up front with me, they did have a problem and they admitted it and fixed it. They exchanged the mold no questions asked.

That's quite a contrast to when I called SAECO with two problem brand new molds and was told there is nothing wrong with Redding products, DO NOT send them back to us, we don't need to see them. If you don't like that then buy RCBS. Then because I posted on this forum my experience with Redding they sent out an email that slandered me.

RCBS has earned my respect, Redding has earned my contempt.

Its also not fair to compare a one man shop such as NOE or MP with a company the size of RCBS, Lyman etc with the exstensive product line they have. It is fair to compare their customer service, its my experience that RCBS takes a back seat to no one, not even the one man shops.

Rick

Ben
06-18-2011, 02:07 PM
cbrick

Its also not fair to compare a one man shop such as NOE or MP with a company the size of RCBS, Lyman etc with the exstensive product line they have

As to the small 1 man shops, when I want to buy a NEW quality mold and do it RIGHT the 1st time without sending it back and forth to get it RIGHT, I'd think that taking into consideration what is likely to happen with WHO one chooses to buy from ( based on prior real life experiences ) may be of a bigger concern than " what is fair."

If RCBS's and Lyman's extensive product line has interfered with their ability to produce a quality product that can compare and go " toe to toe " with the 1 man company, I'd think that would still need to be taken into consideration.

A quality mold in my hands the 1st time around is worth something to me.

cbrick
06-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Ben, you are absolutely right. I do consider just that when buying a mold (and everything else).

In considering just that and also considering that I have 20-25 RCBS molds that I have been buying for many years I have had reason to send back exactly ONE. I also consider that with the ONE out of 20-25 that needed to go back the customer service was second to nobody, any time, anywhere. They were very up front, honest and apologetic that it happened. Wow, that sure is a tremendous amount of sending back and forth isn't it.

This is nothing against NOE or MP, I have several of both and am delighted with all of them. Of three NOE molds, not a problem with any. Of four MP molds I have had a problem with one which Miha promptly took care of. Of 20-25 RCBS molds I have had a problem with ONE which RCBS took care of no questions asked.

Consider what is likely to happen? Your correct, I do!

Consider that!

Rick

Longone
06-18-2011, 09:45 PM
I guess it can be said if it ain't broke don't fix it. Till this mold it wasn't broke, the previous molds have all performed very well. They are all predictable as far as once they get the proper amount of heat in them they drop nice boolits that size to the proper dia. and shoot well.

This will be my stepping stone to a custom mold, I have sent e-mails and PM's to a couple of mold makers to get their opinions on what would be best for my rifles. This is nothing more than the next step. Some might sit back and say, he should have done that a long time ago, well maybe you are right, but one thing is for sure I have an excellent RCBS 180 mold that flat out shoots and plenty of pistol molds that do the same.

Longone

Ben
06-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Longone :

RCBS is certainly capable of making a fine mold, I've got several in my cabinet. As you are aware , custom mold makers can and do cater to specific needs where as, the big companies make certain molds in a variety of calibers and you have to hope that you can find something in their list of molds that they make that will meet your needs.

Ben

Longone
06-19-2011, 09:53 PM
This picture shows the result of an RCBS 180 SP mold that was used with #2 alloy and Jakes lube, not the Linotype alloy they reccomend. It was shot today @ 100yds, the high shot was the first shot after a string of ten shots with Lee Alox lube, the other 9 shots seem to be pretty happy together.

Longone

cbrick
06-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Did you return the 165?

Rick

Longone
06-20-2011, 05:40 AM
According to the P.O. it should be in their hands today.

It arrived to them at 11:23 AM today.

Longone

gray wolf
06-20-2011, 06:08 PM
I tried to do a fellow caster a favor, he lent me a mold for my 40 S&W. (R C B S )
The mold came to me looking new, it cast very nice bullets but they were out of round.
Not only that but as I rotated the mold and measured it I found it to show ..401 / .400 so half of the mold never hit the sizer die. Not going to work. I contacted the fine gentlemen that lent me the mold and offered to send it back to RCBS for him on my dime. He said thank you, that would be fine. So I insured the mold and sent it back. Called them after two weeks and was told they were going to cut a special mold for me and they were out of stock.
Well I got the mold today and don't ask. It measures .398 / .399 You can't imagine
how rip $HIT mad I was. If I am going to size .401, I want a mold to drop at least on the north side of .402 Minimum.
Called them up and got Larry the old mold maker on the phone. Got the same story about a new guy and the new CNC machine. We had a nice talk and he is now retired and working part time in customer service. He was very polite and so was I, He said they would cut another mold for me, hold on to the second one and when the next one comes
send back the one I received today. So still no mold, OH they said I would get sample bullets
with the mold--never got them.
I am Pi$$ed, I tried to do the right thing, paid for shipping and insurance, held off for over two weeks and I get a piece of **** mold back. I also had to adjust the pins so the thing would close and not show daylight.
As for me, I don't care to hear about there problems. If your going to do it then do it correctly
or close the shop till you get it right. I know things are not done that way in business and I understand most of the reasons why. But for cry-ing-out-loud this stuff can get people very turned off and makes for a bad day when your getting ready to make bullets.
So now I get to twiddle for another who knows how long, and I have to leave the nice guy who lent me the mold hanging. TRY TO BE A NICE GUY

Longone
06-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Just another example of, no good deed goes unpunished. That should teach you, trying to do the right thing, what were you thinking?

You are right though, who really cares about "the mold maker" and if they are having a bad day, you bought a product it should be right period.

BTW, did they ask you for proof of purchase? I was asked to supply a copy of the receipt with the returned mold, must be my dishonest look on the phone.

Longone

billnconnie
06-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Well gentlemen I find myself riding in the same boat. My son gave me a RCBS 210 gr. swc for the 41 magnum (3 screw ruger) that I purchase 2 week ago. The mold dropped bullets at .409 back band and .407 front band. When I called them they were very apologetic and ask for the mold back with proof of purchase and bullets cast from each cavity.
The gentleman that I spoke to said that they would make it right and cover the shipping to them. I'll let you know how my adventure turns out as well.
Bill

gray wolf
06-21-2011, 07:59 AM
You are right though, who really cares about "the mold maker" and if they are having a bad day, you bought a product it should be right period.

That may sound like a harsh, UN-caring thing to say. But I look at it this way.
If someone makes an honest mistake that's one thing and easily forgiven and taken in stride. I/we seem to do it all the time. But when people/company's put out garbage
on a regular basis OR knowingly have problems but still put the product out into the world---Well for me that is flat out wrong and I get furious
about it. Thing is it seems to get more prevalent as the time go's on.
When someone tell me " OH yea we have been having a problem with (fill in the blank )
and we are working on it, fine --but don't sell the darn junk to me while your having that problem. I have to order your ****, wait for it to arrive, use it and perhaps fix it,
use my time, get frustrated, ask for help and get the run around, send it back on my dime, then be without the product while you have my money, and wind up spending more for the thing because now I am out my time, and the return postage money.
So why should I feel bad for the crumb buns that cause me all that drama and agita ?

Just a thought I was not asked for a sales slip, and never was for anything before.
RCBS may and probably does know they are having a problem, the sales receipt has a date
on it and the place it was bought. Perhaps RCBS is trying to find out what time period
or at what point in the manufacturing the problem started. We have to give them credit for something.

Longone
06-21-2011, 06:07 PM
OK, maybe that was a little harsh but if you are going to be in the business of making a product and that product is repeatedly being returned for any number of reasons you should find out where the problem(s) lie. If it is more training for new employees, train them. If it is tooling or machines, replace or fix them. Don't complain about your fellow employees to a customer that just sounds bad, like the company is hiring buffoons and telling them that today you are going to make molds.

Shipping a product back and forth is time and money lost and leaves a sour taste in the consumers mouth. Next mold purchase will relive this experience and make you think twice about the brand that is bought.

Lyman molds are a **** shoot, you can get a fat one or an out of round one, they don't seem to have a standard by which all future molds are copied. I hemd and hawd over buying another and just couldn't bring myself to do it. I also thought about buying another 180 SP but because I had tried some 165's from another board member I thought it would be nice to have two different molds. Just another mistake.

Longone

Ben
06-22-2011, 07:24 AM
I called RCBS and talked to the plant mgr. He told me that the fellow who had cut molds for them for yrs. had retired and they had " a new guy ". I was also told that the " new guy " had cut many molds and shipped them that were out of spec.

It took about 5 or 6 phone calls to get all this done. Many times I'd be placed on hold for longer than 45 minutes at a time, not counting the fact that I had to pay postage on a mold twice ( once to get it to my home only to find out that it was out of spec. and then to return it for a decent mold )

The above are my own personal experiences.
Seems that I'm not the only one who has
experienced this same identical " routine " with RCBS .

My early question in my own mind ( prior to me reading about your experiences ) was if RCBS knew that they were having problems with quality control with their molds why did they continue to ship them , why didn't they stop and correct the problems and avoid all these problems with their customers ?

I do want to add one more comment. On matters that I've needed RCBS's help on outside the realm of bullet molds, their customer service has been 101% ! !

Ben

duck hollow pete
06-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Don't quote me Longone,but doesn't Forum rules require you to let us know what went into that 100yd group you just showed us, just thinking out loud.

Cimarron Red
06-22-2011, 08:43 PM
I have always had great service from RCBS except on one occasion last fall. I bought a new .45 caliber, single cav. 500 grain FNGC for several Winchester 1886 rifles that I own. The mold drops bullets at .4585" which I can live with. However, the gas checks are loose on the shank to such a point that when removing the bullets from my sizing die, I had to cock the bullet slightly or the GC would stay in the sizing die. Obviously there would be some chance that the gas check could come off the shank while in the case or traveling down the barrel. So I sent it back to RCBS along with several bullets cast from WW alloy, fully expecting them to replace the mold or open the GC shank. Two weeks later here comes the package. It was the same mold, unmodified, accompanied by a hand-written note stating that the mold was within spec as RCBS specs all their molds based on linotype alloy. So much for that. I then opened the shank slightly using fine emery cloth wrapped around the appropriate drill bit. I've never cast with linotype nor do I know anyone who has. What the heck!

gray wolf
06-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Well if you read my story above I will now add to it.
Like I said the man at RCBS told me to send the mold that was casting way small back to him and he would send me a new one. 200 grain 40 S&W SWC dropped at .398/.399 or so.
Told him I would send it back when I got the new one ( third try now )
Got the new mold yesterday, three days after the talk with RCBS. I thought WOW !!
fired up the pot WW and 1.5 Oz. tin to the 20 # pot. The bullets just made .401 from the mold. Some spots do not hit the sizer die and are .4008
It is the best one so far out of the three and better than the one that was lent to me.
So I guess it is an improvement.
My thinking is a mold should cast at least .002 over the size I want to cast at.
I am not looking to shoot as cast. If I were I would get a Lee tumble lube bullet.
RCBS has fallen very short on this one.
I will be the first to say I have very good luck with RCBS and they have always treated me very well and taken care of any and all problems.
I do not dislike them for the mold problem, I feel bad for them in that they can't cut a mold that is correct. There molds have always been a pleasure to use for me.
Come on RCBS get it right and get back on track

cbrick
06-24-2011, 09:02 PM
My thinking is a mold should cast at least .002 over the size I want to cast at.

RCBS has fallen very short on this one.

I will be the first to say I have very good luck with RCBS and they have always treated me very well and taken care of any and all problems.

Come on RCBS get it right and get back on track

So you borrowed an RCBS mold that your alloy cast under .400" with your melt temp and mold temp, they replaced it right? And it wasn't even your mold?

The mold you reference is advertised as casting .401" and your now complaining that the replacement mold casts .401" (with your alloy and temps) and not what you "think" it should cast at.

When someone wants a mold that casts larger than .401" they should not buy a mold advertised to cast .401" and then complain that they "think" it should cast larger than advertised.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=224747

Not trying to sound harsh gray wolf but think of the logic of this.

Rick

gray wolf
06-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Technical Information:

Material: Machined solid cast iron mold blocks
Cavities: 2-Cavity
Features: Steel Sprue Plate
Common Sizer Die Diameter: .401"

Cbrick
For the most part I have always had nothing but the highest respect for all you have to say, and I am sure I will in the future. But you are a little off base here, and some what critical. I think you are selecting what you would like to hear from my post.
Read common sizer diameter .401
The mold is not advertized to drop .401 and this was verified by RCBC.
and the crack about a borrowed mold is way off base. In fact now that I think about it your whole post is PI$$ing me off more and more as I re- read it.
Yes it was a lend me mold from a very nice member. We discussed the mold through many PM's and it was decided that yes the mold cast to small and was leading his pistol.
I cast with it with different alloys, and different mold, and melt temps.
The bullets were out of round and to small, end of that story.
You do not have to be the original owner of RCBS equipment for them to honor replacing bad equipment. I spoke with the owner of the mold in long detail and I offered to have the mold exchanged. He agreed. So I sent it back and the replacement cast not only uneven out of round bullets but much smaller than the first.
RCBS acknowledged the fact that it was having a problem with there mold making. At that point I received a third mold. This one is not perfect but better than the other two and an improvement that is just barely .401 and I think the original owner will be OK with it.
Three molds from RCBS that all cast different and out of round bullets, and different as cast sizes. So besides YOU and RCBS who else has a problem with this ??
I think you should get your head out of your A$$ before you talk about what other people do. Specially when there intent is to do nothing but the right thing.
If I sound a little harsh it's because I meant it to sound that way.

cbrick
06-25-2011, 12:37 PM
The mold is described as: RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 10mm-200-SWC 40 S&W, 10mm (401 Diameter) 200 Grain Semi-Wadcutter.

The 401 is as cast diameter. The fact that "you think" it should cast larger than advertised with your alloy changes nothing.

My only intent was to get you to use a little logic, seems that isn't going to happen.

Here's something else that you can try to apply logic to, people that are pi**ed off have two choices and only two. They can either get over it or they can stay pi**ed off, pick one. If one of us has their head in their hieny about this I suggest it isn't me. Is that harsh? Take it as you wish, changes nothing.

Rick

gray wolf
06-25-2011, 01:38 PM
cbrick
You seem to be having a bad day and I don't wont to add to it. If you want to be stuck on what the add says I can't help you out.
But if you read past your nose it clearly says
Common Sizer Die Diameter: .401"
As per the man who made the darn molds, they are meant to be sized
How much clearer can it be ??.
You must have something else bothering you about this because others have stated the same problems, and RCBS has admitted to having a problem.
So if you figure out whats really on your mind here you can shoot me a PM and we can discuss it. I think the other members have been exposed to enough of this nonsense.
As for getting over it, I was never under it. I don't hold onto a bad thing.
I simply said you were being an A$$ about the whole thing.
Now that don't mean I don't still love ya big guy
I will say you pi$$ed me off--BUT you would have to really, really, really, Tick me off for me to not still be your friend.
Now I have to go cast some bullets with some funky alloy That I will put in a cold RCBS mold that drops bullets on the north side of what I need so I can sized them to perfection.

winelover
06-25-2011, 03:10 PM
In the 2011 Midsouth Master Catalog you will find descriptions of current Lee, Lyman and RBCS bullets.I particularly like the information provided under the bullet drawing. The bullet in question is listed as a 10mm-200-SWC. Size is .400, as is the 10mm-170 SWC. The only one that is listed as .401 is the 40-180-FN. Recommended sizer dies are .401, .400 and .400, in the order I listed them. Based on this information, I would not expect larger sizes unless the alloy is straight lino. RCBS specs their moulds out using Lyman #2 alloy. If you use a softer alloy (WW or a mix with pure lead) you will obtain bullets with smaller diameters than desired. THIS IS A FACT OF LIFE! So stop your whining.:violin: You want larger boolets? Beagle your moulds, lap them out or buy new from custom makers that will give you the exact size with the alloy of your choice.[smilie=1:

Winelover:castmine:

gray wolf
06-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Another guy that can't read.

RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 10mm-200-SWC 40 S&W, 10mm (401 Diameter) 200 Grain Semi-Wadcutter
RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 10mm-200-SWC 40 S&W, 10mm (401

Try the midway book there all listed at 401.
So I guess if we have some of that special alloy we can get rid of our sizer.
Ba-Hooey. Just so you know I am not whining.

Longone
06-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Don't quote me Longone,but doesn't Forum rules require you to let us know what went into that 100yd group you just showed us, just thinking out loud.

Hi duck hollow pete,

Just got in from a working vacation, if you are reffering to the load I will certainly share it. It is "The" load from this board for 30-06. It consists of 16 grains of 2400, Wolf LR primers, LC cases with the flash hole drilled out to .093"? and the bullet into the lands .010". No filler of any sort and no crimp. Boolit is sized to .309" with a Hornady gas check and lubed with Jakes Purple.

It is fired from a Savage that I put together with a Varmint weight stainless barrel (Savage factory) with about 1600 rounds down it. It is assembled to a long action (110) with a SSS recoil lug in a factory BVSS stock that I pillar bedded.

If I have left anything out let me know and I'll fill in the blanks the best I can.

Longone

Longone
07-21-2011, 04:33 PM
A package showed up today from RCBS. It contained a new mold with the old style stamped in designation and a hand written note saying the dia. and weight when casting with Linotype. There was no one's initials or a we are sorry you had to return it, hopefully get a chance to cast with it on Sat. morning and see what happens.

One month to the day service, they marked their receipt 6-21 as the day it was received.

Longone