PDA

View Full Version : Strange Smelt

dnotarianni
06-11-2011, 04:14 PM
OK I had some old # 12 shot that wouldn't melt until I used a torch on top with the turkey fryer under the pot. When it melted it almost had a grey crust on top that I skimmed and fluxed out. Had to pour ingots at a really hot temp and they seem to have a blue tinge to them. Hardness is about the same as wheelweights when checked with pencils. Any idea what I got? It definitely was old shot and crushed like lead with a pair of pliers but sure didn't melt or pour like lead.

Thanks
Dave

leadman
06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Shot is coated with graphite that acts like an insulator. This is the grey that was left. I would let the shot get hot then smash it on the side of the pot with a large spoon. smashing the shot can be done before the temperature is too hot, this helps eleminate the blue ting.
Make sure you flux well to remove all the lead from the graphite soup.

#12 shot is hard to come buy and you could have sold it here or traded for more material. Larger shot is running about $38 a bag here.

dnotarianni
06-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks There wasn't enough to try to trade. Was in several glass bottles marked #10 and #12 Probably 15 pounds total between both sizes. If it was bagged that would have been an idea.
Dave