PDA

View Full Version : You know, I just may retire that dipper...

imashooter2
12-31-2006, 10:08 PM
I have posted in the past that I'm a dipper man from way back. I've also posted that I am trying to learn the art of the bottom pour, because it is so damn convenient. I was having some trouble with the used Lee 10 pound pot that I picked up on the cheap and so I recently bought a Pro 20 as an upgrade. My first couple sessions with the new pot went reasonably well. A big improvement over the old 10 pounder., but I was annoyed by not being able to see the pour spout without hunching over. Several pours per session were sloppy and quality was not all that I wished it to be.

Well today, I put the pot up on an 11 inch riser and tried again. What a difference it made! I ran 29.5 pounds of Lee 452-228-1R out of the Pro 20 in 2 hours and 5 minutes of casting. I had 8 rejects.

A couple more sessions like that and I may forget where I put that dipper...

PatMarlin
12-31-2006, 10:14 PM
I save the dipper for when we' all go back to the camp fire.. :mrgreen:

Marlin Junky
12-31-2006, 10:27 PM
You guys can't really say you've used a ladle until you've used a Rowell#2 for even your biggest 2 cavity moulds:

http://www.theantimonyman.com/ladles.htm

If you get used to using the Rowell, you can cast the same quality boolits with a full pot or a half full pot without thinking about head pressure.

That reminds me, I need to get a Rowell#3 for the 6-cavity GB molds.

MJ

SharpsShooter
12-31-2006, 10:52 PM
I had to raise my 20 pound pot 10" to get it comfortable and it does make a difference in both visual coordination and ease of operation. I can usually run around 200 an hour from a six cavity without rushing or getting rejects.

SS

Jon K
12-31-2006, 11:24 PM
iamashooter2,

Save that dipper! Ol Reliable!

I started with a RCBS ladle & pot on a camp stove. Didn't like it, moved up to a Lyman Pro Melt 10 lb(served me well for many years). Started casting & loading BP about a year ago. I have tried and tried, and the bottom pour just can't match the ladle for consistantcy in weight & appearance.
For speed, the ladle is slow in comparison, but for end product (big boolits-BP), I'll stick with the ladle. I pour all my smokless stuff bottom-pour (love them 4-6 cavity molds).

Now that's my opinion, and I'm sure others have their opinion. So have at it Guys!

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon
:castmine:

Swagerman
12-31-2006, 11:32 PM
Yepper, raising the newly acquired Lee 4-20 pot up about 10 inches will work for me as well.

Allows me to see pour spout align over the mould sprue hole...of course I'm setting on my keester, meester...in front of my huge wooden work bench in the garage.

If the temps stay in the high 30s here, I may try and do some casting with garage door up.

Jim

joatmon
01-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Pat is that a chip fire?

PatMarlin
01-01-2007, 06:12 PM
No chips needed. We live in the forest... :mrgreen: