PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need A Check??

HEAD0001
06-11-2011, 12:20 AM
I am working up a Gallery Load for my 30-06 Encore. Somewhere around 3.5 grains of Red Dot. This will be used for porch plinking out to 50 yards at the 2-1/2" gong for off hand practice. And also a load to carry while deer hunting for unsuspecting small game that gets too close(especially grouse-they are just too good to eat, and make a great meal).

The bullet is a 180 grain RCBS mold with a GC. My question is simple. Do I need to use the checks for this light Gallery Load. Supreme accuracy is definitely not a requirement. But will the check(or lack of) make a big difference in accuracy?? Thanks, Tom.

Bullshop
06-11-2011, 12:39 AM
It could make a very big difference in accuracy. It might shoot way better without the check. Serious! At that pressure level its possible.

HARRYMPOPE
06-11-2011, 01:00 AM
a check is a waste of time and money at that velocity(about 600 fps i believe).You dont even need to lube them if you dont feel like it.I fired 400 or mare last winter in my shop with 2.5g Unique with no lube to keep the smoke down and there was no leading and accuracy was 1 hole at 10 meters(off a rest not offhand).At 25 yards they were 3/4- 1" I use the same case and deprime,reprime,dip powder-finger seat a bullet and fire.its a fun way to practice offhand and gives you good pace.

pic is one of the better 10 meters offhand targets

HMP