PDA

View Full Version : Universal Clays for 9X18 Makarov?

Mossy Nugget
06-11-2011, 12:15 AM
I have searched and lurked far and wide for any cast boolit load data for my PA-63 using the Lee 95 gr. round nose with Universal Clays. Unique is reported to be similar to Universal Clays, but I am too chicken to substitute the load data directly, much less pull a starting load out of thin air. I checked my reloading manuals for the 380 ACP+10%. I found nothing using Universal :-(. I have 8 lbs. of this powder, want to burn it safely. There are plenty of loads for jacketed bullets, but none for Pb. Does anyone know of documented load data?

Rocky Raab
06-11-2011, 10:06 AM
If you trust me, yes. I have worked with that exact combination in that exact gun, and find that Universal is a titch faster than Unique in that use. I consider 3.5 gr to be about normal working pressure to warmish. (With Unique, 4.0 is warm to quite warm, as a comparison.)

I used WSP primers and Starline brass, to give you a complete load list. Trimmed 9mm Luger cases may not have the same volume, so drop a few tenths if you are using those.

Mossy Nugget
06-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks, Rocky! I do use trimmed luger brass, 70 of the last 200 Mak cases I shot haven't re-entered the atmosphere yet. (I found your article "Mak Attack" while searching, BTW. Very good piece!) I plan to use Federal primers. Starting with 3 gr. and working up 1/10 at a time watching for pressure signs should be OK?

Rocky Raab
06-11-2011, 08:59 PM
You darn betcha! I don't think you need to be that reluctant, in fact. Try a few with 3.5 and see if the velocity, recoil and ejection pattern is about the same as factory. If so, you're golden.

zxcvbob
06-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Attached file is a screen shot from Hodgdon's load data center. Use the 90 grain data, just don't get crazy with it.

wellfedirishman
08-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I don't have any Clays load, but found that 3.2 grains of Bullseye worked great with lead 95 grain plain base loads. Recoil was pretty light in a CZ82.

I stationed a brass catcher net just to the right of my CZ and it caught 90% of the brass just fine.

Jal5
08-24-2011, 04:25 PM
I like the BE too with that load.
wellfedirishman-
Can you post a pic of that brass catcher? That is the only bad part of shooting my CZ82 and I hate to trim down 9mm brass.

Joe

azrednek
08-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Starting with 3 gr. and working up 1/10 at a time watching for pressure signs should be OK?

If you're going to be checking the brass for pressure signs you better bring your running shoes!! My PA-63 tosses brass into the next county.

I haven't used Universal in my Mak loads. I have used Bullseye and Unique. Don't recall the loads but I used published data for 380. I assume I could probably go a bit higher but I'm only punching paper. The 380 data works just fine in all my 9MM Makarov pistols.

I strongly encourage you to mark the trimmed 9MM brass so it can be easily separated. Don't make the same dumassed mistake I made and toss everything into your tumbler and polish off the marks.

Rocky Raab
08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
When shooting off the bench, I just stand an open cardboard box on its side to my right - catches 'em all.

Cannoneer
08-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Great info on the MAK ammo. I've got one of the Bulgarian MAK's in 9x18 and use AA#7 and either hornady's XTP's or Berry's 95 grain Plated TMJ's. Used to have a Chi-com MAK and used a Lee 95 grain Cast LRN with either BE or AA#2. Great little guns. The Russian Ammo from Brown and Silver Bear shoots very well but reloading is the only way to go if you want to stay in the green. I just finished trimming 400 WCC 88 headstamped 9x19 NATO brass to use in the MAK. I got those free, so I think it's a bargin to spend some extra time trimming and deburring the shortened 9x19 brass.