PDA

View Full Version : 4" 45 Colt Redhawk HURTS MY HAND

H110
06-10-2011, 11:06 PM
There is probably already a thread on here somewhere in regards to this subject but I need some relief.

My 4" Redhawk is killing my hand, I mean this thing is causing real pain. It has the factory Black Hogue Monogrips and its like hitting my hand with a hammer.

10 years ago or so I had a 7-1/2" Redhawk 44 magnum shooting factory ammo with no pain what so ever. I don't know what the velocity was but it didn't hurt.

Just for reference my hottest load is a 255 grain lead SWC over H-110 for a velocity of 1300 to 1340 with a CCI350 primer, however with enough HS-6 for a velocity of 1100 it still hurts just about as bad.

Maybe I am getting soft in my old age so here's the QUESTION: Can these grips possibly make this much difference in felt recoil vs the original wood ones.

I am desperate. I will stop typing now and look to you guys and gals for some suggestions on what I can do, besides my HAND HURTS.

tek4260
06-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Get a grip locator dowel and replace the condoms with some factory wood!! Let it slide a bit instead of gripping and hammering you :)

jh45gun
06-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Since your not gonna hunt dinosaurs every day you do not need the hot loads either. Unless you want some BIG bear loads a standard black powder equivalent load like 8.5 grains of Unique will be easy to shoot and is still strong enough with good cast loads to kill most critters.

jmsj
06-10-2011, 11:52 PM
H110,
You just send that BAD GUN to me and I'll make sure it never hurts you again. Just kidding.
I'm thinking that tek4260 might be on to something. I've never gotten along with Hogue monogrips in hard hitting revolvers.
Good luck, jmsj

MT Gianni
06-11-2011, 12:18 AM
How much do you want for it?

H110
06-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Well if it keeps kicking my butt you can have it, However; you may have to swim to the bottom of the lake and retrieve it from the end of my trot-line as it will be used as a weight.

RobS
06-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Tell me where and I'll come and do some scuba!!!

44MAG#1
06-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Have you ever thought about changing the grips? I changed mine.

warf73
06-11-2011, 04:59 AM
H110

Get ya the Hogue Tammers, I just bought mine last week for my 480 and its like night and day. It was the best $22 I've spent on the gun yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=231159

Ed K
06-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Get ya the Hogue Tammers, I just bought mine last week for my 480 and its like night and day. It was the best $22 I've spent on the gun yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=231159

I don't think those will work - completely different gripframe between the super and std Redhawk. The super is a stud with the hammer strut held captive. The std Redhawk is an traditional grip frame with a solid steel backstrap which is hard to cushion.

44man
06-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Grip frame angle. I do not like the RH, as bad as a Bisley with a fat grip. It is punching you straight back without raising your arms.
Never look for "roll" or "slip", look for better grips.

c.r.
06-11-2011, 10:20 AM
10 years ago or so I had a 7-1/2" Redhawk 44 magnum shooting factory ammo with no pain what so ever. I don't know what the velocity was but it didn't hurt.

i believe 10 yrs ago, ruger was using the wood grips on their RH's. why not try locating a set and install them on this revolver? It sounds as if they were comfortable for you then.

i personally can't get use to any of the rubber pachmyer/hogue style grips. I'm simply not a huge fan of them and they don't fit my hand they way i think grips should. Not all of our hands are the same.

i sure like those 4" redhawks. hope you make it work for you.

~c.r.

chaos
06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Well if it keeps kicking my butt you can have it, However; you may have to swim to the bottom of the lake and retrieve it from the end of my trot-line as it will be used as a weight.

If you decide to get rid of the gun, I have been looking for a 4 inch redhawk and I frequent North Central Texas often to visit my mom. I would be interested in it.

Chaos

edited to add: nevermind, I see it aint a 44.

HammerMTB
06-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I have one of those 4" Redhawk .45's. I like mine a lot and it is my carry gun when I take a wheelgun afield. Mine is no bother to me with any load typical for the .45 Colt, but if you turn to the Ruger only page of your loading manual, they do generate a lot more recoil. If that amount of recoil "didn't use to" bother you, you may have some joint degradation going on. Apart from that, I seldom shoot "bear loads" from mine. I have some, but find a 255RF @ 950-1000 will do about anything I ask of the Ruger without beating me or the gun unnecessarily. A set of the old original Rosewood grip panels might just help.

harvester
06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Mine is fine with standard factory loads or the above mentioned 8.5 of unique. It does not seem harsh at all.

tek4260
06-11-2011, 10:58 AM
And they look mo better than rubber :)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2645.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/101_2614.jpg

Yes, much better than rubber

H110
06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
What do you need to replace the rubbers with factory wood grips. I know you need the grips and the screws but what else?

Trey45
06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
I had a similar issue with my 4" 45 Redhawk. I got rid of the condom grips, found a set of new old stock grips and solved the problem.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/Gun%20Stuff/Redhawkinred-1.jpg

I highly recommend trying a set of the old grips before giving your redhawk swimming lessons.

H110
06-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Well there is one thing for sure! I don't know if the factory wood will solve the problem but they sure look allot better!

winelover
06-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Factory grips might look better but they arn't worth a darn for absorbing recoil. The exposed backstrap is the culprit. After the first range session, I replace them with the Hogue monogrip, followed by the Pachmeyer Presentation rubber and finally settled on the Uncle Mike's rubber. Sadly they are no longer available except on the used market.

Winelover

RobS
06-11-2011, 02:28 PM
My Dad put on Pachmayr Decelarator Grips for his 44 mag Redhawks. They do cover the back of the frame and wrap around to the front where there is very thin seam. Fit on his two Redhawks was pretty good.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=366452

H110
06-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. I know have some options to try.

ColColt
06-11-2011, 07:06 PM
If it were mine, I'd be using 9 gr of Unique with a 250-255 Keith SWC. Used a boolit like that(454424) for years with a BH and a M25 S&W. I couldn't see making a race horse out it with the 44 Magnum available. A healthy dose of 2400 with the 45 is plenty for me and then some. I never used H110 with it.

I've given a lot of thought to a 4" Redhawk and that would be my suggestion and that's what I'd use. It's a great revolver.

Whitworth
06-11-2011, 07:27 PM
My .454 Redhawk has Pachmyrs and they are terrible, even when I load it down to .45 Colt + P type loads. I am going to have a set of grips made for it.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1000690.jpg

9.3X62AL
06-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Uncle Mike's neoprenes resolved my grip issues with my Redhawk (44 x 5.5"). I've started using a shooting glove with some of the hard-kickers in my safe, but that isn't a total answer--the XL sizes barely fit my big ol' paws, and are a PITA to take off or put on. They do seem to soak up a lot of the WHACK, though.

Heavy lead
06-11-2011, 09:27 PM
The Hogue mono grips suck, except in certain cases where there is no backstrap such as the GP 100 and the Super Redhawk.
Imagine the revolver recoiling back, the soft material ajacent to the backstrap gives, the backstrap continues backward and makes the recoil much worse as only the width of the solid backstrap drives back into your hand.
My Redhawk .44 has big, wide, fat, hard and slippery Badger Corian finger groove grips, the whole thing drives back into my hand, not just the backstrap.
JMHO, take it for what it's worth.

RobS
06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
My .454 Redhawk has Pachmyrs and they are terrible, even when I load it down to .45 Colt + P type loads. I am going to have a set of grips made for it.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1000690.jpg

Which set are those; are they the Decelerators? I do like the 454 Casull cylinder in the Redhawk frame!!! Those look like a heavy boolits by the looks of where they seated in the brass.

Onty
06-11-2011, 10:43 PM
The Hogue mono grips suck, except in certain cases where there is no backstrap such as the GP 100 and the Super Redhawk.
Imagine the revolver recoiling back, the soft material ajacent to the backstrap gives, the backstrap continues backward and makes the recoil much worse as only the width of the solid backstrap drives back into your hand.
My Redhawk .44 has big, wide, fat, hard and slippery Badger Corian finger groove grips, the whole thing drives back into my hand, not just the backstrap.
JMHO, take it for what it's worth.

I do have 44 Redhawk 7.5 with original wooden grips and I like the gun but 100 rounds of 250 gr at about 1200 made a blister on my thumb, and made my hand tingling. Solution? It might be Bisley. I know, it's not DA but if you shoot loads that hurt you hand, you are not going to shoot few hundreds of those loads in a single day anyhow. NOTE: some folks complained about their middle finger getting rapped by trigger guard. I was shooting some stiff loads using 45-325 boolits and never had such problem. Friend who was shooting same gun and ammo did get rapped. The difference was in hand placing; I hold it ˝normally˝, he was forcing his hand up as much as possible.

Whitworth
06-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Which set are those; are they the Decelerators? I do like the 454 Casull cylinder in the Redhawk frame!!! Those look like a heavy boolits by the looks of where they seated in the brass.

Thank you, sir! They're just an old set of Pachmyrs, not sure what model they are, but they feel like you are gripping steel when you touch it off! Those bullets are 400 grain WFNs from Double Tap. It's very unpleasant to shoot with that load!

warf73
06-12-2011, 02:47 AM
I don't think those will work - completely different gripframe between the super and std Redhawk. The super is a stud with the hammer strut held captive. The std Redhawk is an traditional grip frame with a solid steel backstrap which is hard to cushion.

Sorry about that H110 didn't see it was a standard Redhawk.

Four Fingers of Death
06-12-2011, 07:44 AM
I want a blued 4" with ivory grips! Real badddddddddddddddddd!

Prefer 45Colt, but 44Mag would do!

Mind you I have no real use for it, but still really fancy one.

subsonic
06-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Work on grip strength also. The tighter you grip, the less it will hurt.

Ideally, and probably most expensively, you can send a hand tracing to herrett grips and tell them what you want. A grip that fits makes a world of difference.

750k2
06-12-2011, 08:04 AM
I had a shorty Red and it would just pound me with anything other than
the light stuff - Loved the feel and look though, Had all the front sights
and really wanted it to work out but it just didn't fit my program and
had to let her go - I still think on it every time I see one come up.
And mine was only a 5" .44.
Have since been bitin by the Bisley bug but pics in this post have me
thinkin about giving it another go - I start thinking was it really that bad?
Ya it was - to me - it just hurt.

Whitworth
06-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Work on grip strength also. The tighter you grip, the less it will hurt.

Ideally, and probably most expensively, you can send a hand tracing to herrett grips and tell them what you want. A grip that fits makes a world of difference.

It's not really an issue of grip strength in my opinion. My Redhawk is one of the less "powerful" of my revolvers, and yet it is in the top three most painful to shoot. The REdhawk just doesn't have a agreat grip frame IMO. Even the SRH is a world better.

Dark Helmet
06-12-2011, 10:01 AM
+1 on Pachmayrs or Unclemikes

Bass Ackward
06-12-2011, 10:24 AM
The Redhawk just doesn't have a a great grip frame IMO.

Boy there is a mouthful.

Except for Trolls, it's kinda like sleeping on a bed of nails. You don't want to move and staying still isn't an option.

RobS
06-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Thank you, sir! They're just an old set of Pachmyrs, not sure what model they are, but they feel like you are gripping steel when you touch it off! Those bullets are 400 grain WFNs from Double Tap. It's very unpleasant to shoot with that load!

I wondered about the grips. The Decelerator's that my Dad put on his RH's were soft and almost spongy. There is a plain rubber as well as a nylon/plastic set of Pachmayr grips. Looking at your grips I believe you have the plain gripper set as the bottom front of the grip has a more pronounced edge to it unlike the decelerators. I thought the grips did better at absorbing recoil over the factory wood. The thing that is different about the grips vs my SRH is the grips are narrower but feel longer from back to front (a bit longer trigger pull) and would take some getting use to I suppose since I'm accustom to the SRH Hogue tamer grips.

http://www.pachmayr.com/revolver-grip-details.php

Whitworth
06-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Boy there is a mouthful.

Except for Trolls, it's kinda like sleeping on a bed of nails. You don't want to move and staying still isn't an option.

Say it three times fast.

H110
06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Three Times Fast

ColColt
06-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I thought Uncle Mike's was out of the grip business. It seems I tried to find a pair of their compact grips for the GP100 and couldn't find any grips at all.

Groo
06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Groo here
No one ask WHERE your hand hurts??????????????
There is a reason why the Super RH has a stub grip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![smilie=b:

Whitworth
06-12-2011, 12:31 PM
The web of the hand.....at least for me.:bigsmyl2:

H110
06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
With palm facing up between the base of my trigger finger and the base of my my thumb. This is strange because it is actually more at the side of the grip. I think actually it is hammering the web and pulling something in there that goes to my trigger finger. Heck all I really know for sure is it hurts.

Groo
06-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Groo here
From years of shooting hard kickers I have a build up on my thumb bone at the base
that will not allow me to shoot ANY S&W wood grip ..
ALL mine have Pac's or Hogue's and now the hogue's and a problem in some guns...
Try a narrow grip at the top , like the old pac" that cover the backstrap or a wood grip of the same desigh but narrow enough that a speed loader can be used without the cut out,,
A thumb in the cutout has caused me much pain.....

H110
06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Groo, I hear ya, I know from experience that these type things can cause permanent damage and really mess up your shooting from now on, it may already have. If it hurts especially if it feels like something is pulling STOP and find a solution, or you may be sorry. That is where I am at because it feels like something is pulled at the base of my trigger finger.

Whitworth
06-12-2011, 01:43 PM
The differences in the grip frame are shown here -- the Redhawk and the standard SRH grip for comparison.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/DSC03412.jpg

I really like the Hogue Tamer grips that are available for the SRHs and wish they were made for the Redhawk as well. I put Tamers on my .500 and .475 Linebaugh SRHs and am exceedingly happy with them. Here is aphoto showing the sorbathane insert in the Tamer grip.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/DSC02656.jpg

LVRFAN
06-12-2011, 04:27 PM
I seriously doubt anything shot with a 255 SWC at 1300 fps will be anymore dead than something shot with a 255 SWC at 1000 fps. The solution to your problem seems pretty obvious to me.

RobS
06-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I seriously doubt anything shot with a 255 SWC at 1300 fps will be anymore dead than something shot with a 255 SWC at 1000 fps. The solution to your problem seems pretty obvious to me.

Starters: A faster velocity equates a flatter trajectory for longer shots and this of course all depends on the distance intended for hunting if that is the case. There is also the wound channel created by the shock wave which is directly created by the meplat of a solid bullet and the velocity it is traveling as it makes contact. A 1300 fps .320" meplat solid making way through an animal will create more of a shock wave and potential larger wound channel vs. the same boolit running along at 1000 fps. Now a person can argue this to death that dead is dead and shot placement is critical so on and so forth but wound channels tell the tale. Create a larger wound channel with a slower traveling bullet requires a softer boolit or even a HP but too much expansion may leave only an entrance hole and no exit for the animal to bleed out. There are many things to consider when stating that a 1000 fps 255 grain boolit will “do it”. It was never even discussed what is going to be shot at nor does it really matter.

Back to the question, the original poster is trying to figure out how to make his gun work for him and his hand with the loads he intends to shoot. If he wishes to shoot 1300 fps 255 grain boolits that's fine so how can we get him to achieve his desires as comfortably as possible is the input he's after.

Whitworth
06-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Starters: A faster velocity equates a flatter trajectory for longer shots and this of course all depends on the distance intended for hunting if that is the case. There is also the wound channel created by the shock wave which is directly created by the meplat of a solid bullet and the velocity it is traveling as it makes contact. A 1300 fps .320" meplat solid making way through an animal will create more of a shock wave and potential larger wound channel vs. the same boolit running along at 1000 fps. Now a person can argue this to death that dead is dead and shot placement is critical so on and so forth but wound channels tell the tale. Create a larger wound channel with a slower traveling bullet requires a softer boolit or even a HP but too much expansion may leave only an entrance hole and no exit for the animal to bleed out. There are many things to consider when stating that a 1000 fps 255 grain boolit will “do it”. It was never even discussed what is going to be shot at nor does it really matter.

Back to the question, the original poster is trying to figure out how to make his gun work for him and his hand with the loads he intends to shoot. If he wishes to shoot 1300 fps 255 grain boolits that's fine so how can we get him to achieve his desires as comfortably as possible is the input he's after.

And I believe that the best solution is a good set of custom grips.........

RobS
06-12-2011, 07:41 PM
And I believe that the best solution is a good set of custom grips.........

You may be very well right............I would take your advise over it since you own a RH but I also will say that my Dad's 44 Mag with full tilt Buffalo Bore ammo wasn't too terrible with the Pach Decelerator's. I do shoot a SRH 454 Casull with Hogue tamer grips and much prefer the setup vs the RH though.

H110
06-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Your exactly right. I wanted to get the velocity up in order to flatten trajectory.

ColColt
06-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Maybe take a look at these if you haven't already.

http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/ruger/item_1616002.html

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27_66

tek4260
06-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Find Snyd's posts with his 45 to 454 Redhawk conversion. He was using Nill grips I believe. This would be a great option IMHO. Sorry I just can't have rubber on my revolvers. Of course I even have thin gunfighter profile grips on my 475 Linebaugh BFR.

Whitworth
06-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Find Snyd's posts with his 45 to 454 Redhawk conversion. He was using Nill grips I believe. This would be a great option IMHO. Sorry I just can't have rubber on my revolvers. Of course I even have thin gunfighter profile grips on my 475 Linebaugh BFR.

Yup, those are some really nice grips!

LVRFAN
06-12-2011, 10:48 PM
OK RobS- just how far are you REALLY going to shoot with a 4" 45? Flat trajectory with a 45 Colt? Shockwave from a PISTOL bullet at 1300 fps? No way. You "Magnum" morons need to quit trying to improve something that is perfect the way it is.

LVRFAN
06-12-2011, 11:00 PM
OPS! Sorry about the moron part guys- Too much Scotch and not enough water!

RobS
06-12-2011, 11:03 PM
OK RobS- just how far are you REALLY going to shoot with a 4" 45? Flat trajectory with a 45 Colt? Shockwave from a PISTOL bullet at 1300 fps? No way. You "Magnum" morons need to quit trying to improve something that is perfect the way it is.

Insults won't get you far at all on this forum and if you prefer 1000 fps that's perfectly fine by all counts if that is what you want to do. The original poster stated what he wants to do and that is the reality of it. There is nothing wrong or out of line with 255 grain boolits at 1300 fps from a strong Ruger 45 Colt RH if that is what original poster is after.

RobS
06-12-2011, 11:06 PM

There most definitely is and many here can prove it as well. Since you are happy with 1000 fps and are standing on solid ground with your comment then I'm sure you haven't looked up past where you are standing to be able to state how you could possibly know differently.

H110
06-12-2011, 11:14 PM
I started this thread in order to get answers to real questions from the truly professional men and women that for the most part make up this site, and wish to help their fellow shooter. I wish to thank all of you that have responded, to those of you that have had too much scotch why don't you find something else to do or at least something worthwhile to say.

BOOM BOOM
06-13-2011, 12:13 AM
HI,
First thing I did was install Pacmyer presentation grips on my Redhawks.
iff'in you don't solve the problem, I am one of many here who would love to give your pistol a new & loving /attentive home where it would be fed regularly.:bigsmyl2:

H110
06-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks BOOM BOOM. Do those presentation grips cover the back strap?

LVRFAN
06-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Apologies everyone- I guess I'm getting old and cantankerous. Looking at this another way, seems to me that shooting 454 Casull type loads in a 4" gun are going to hurt- no matter what kind of grips you have. If that's the load you HAVE to shoot then you better get used to the kick.

Whitworth
06-13-2011, 12:11 PM
It's just a lousy grip frame IMO.

Groo
06-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Groo here
Have you shot any other short barrel kickers???
do you have the same problem???
Check on the Pacs, the Ruger wood is a killer for me [it's that cut out]
Then if you want go to a custom set where you send a draft of your hand in....

NVScouter
06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I have the same pistol and load to the same range and a bit more.

I tried H110 and it is a kicker. Change over to Lil'Gun for less whip and the same velocity. I shoot around 20g of it behind my 255 and 265g casts.

These are more of a "O'Snap!" bear load since they stick crack rather hard. But I can put all 6 in a pie plate at 15y with a fast double action style shoot. I drop to around 17g of Lil'gun for 1100fps and they are very comfortable and shoot close to the same.

tek4260
06-14-2011, 11:56 AM
On a side note, try a 4 5/8" Blackhawk. Much better trigger and less "felt" recoil. Lighter to boot. May forget about that Redhawk after some tinkering and range time :)

MattOrgan
06-14-2011, 05:19 PM
I think you will find the smooth factory Ruger grips (wood) will reduce the pain. I have a 5 1/2 inch. 44 Magnum Redhawk that was pleasant to shoot with the original grips, downright pain full when I tried some Pachmayrs with finger grooves. Too narrow at the top I think.Too sticky too. I'm sure we aren't talking about the need for rapid fire double action are we? The RH is still not as pleasant as my 45 Blackhawk with 24 grains of H110 and a 300 grain cast bullet.

Good Luck

Matt

H110
06-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks Matt, I have a set of factory grips coming to try. What grips do you have on your Blackhawk?

Snyd
06-15-2011, 12:22 AM
I've tried numerous grips and settle on the Nill Griffes so far. I'd like to try the Uncle Mikes/Butler Creeks. Here's the Nill Griffes on ebay. 89bucks or best offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nill-Griffe-Ruger-Redhawk-Gun-Grips-GERMAN-Quality-NEW-/400104935916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d281cd1ec#ht_3456wt_907

Here they are on mine.

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_05.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_06.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_07.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh454mp_01.jpg

Whitworth
06-15-2011, 07:10 AM
I really like those grips, Snyd!

44man
06-15-2011, 09:27 AM
I've tried numerous grips and settle on the Nill Griffes so far. I'd like to try the Uncle Mikes/Butler Creeks. Here's the Nill Griffes on ebay. 89bucks or best offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nill-Griffe-Ruger-Redhawk-Gun-Grips-GERMAN-Quality-NEW-/400104935916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d281cd1ec#ht_3456wt_907

Here they are on mine.

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_05.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_06.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh_07.jpg

http://web.mac.com/perryschneider/pics/rh454mp_01.jpg
Now you are talking! :drinks: Those are perfect.

MattOrgan
06-16-2011, 08:24 PM
H110,

I have factory Ruger walnut grips on my 45 Blackhawk. They have been refinished twice with tru-oil so they are a little slicker than original. On my 41 magnum Blackhawk I have micarta and they are too slick even with the 41. I would really like to convert both of them to the Bisley grip frame and try that to see what recoil is like. But really I like the looks.

Matt

Four Fingers of Death
06-17-2011, 02:53 AM
H110,

I have factory Ruger walnut grips on my 45 Blackhawk. They have been refinished twice with tru-oil so they are a little slicker than original. On my 41 magnum Blackhawk I have micarta and they are too slick even with the 41. I would really like to convert both of them to the Bisley grip frame and try that to see what recoil is like. But really I like the looks.

Matt

My 4 3/4" Blackhawk 45 Convertible has very smooth faux ivory grips. The hogleg slides through my hands easily an this negates a big part of the recoil. I don't try and fight it and this places the hammer closer to the thumb for re-cocking.

I had a Bisley Blackhawk and it chopped my big hands up baddddddd!