PDA

View Full Version : Babbit questions

dieguy59
06-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I know you can never have enough, but I have several hundred lbs,each, of lino, WW and pure lead. Thinking I need a source of tin. How do you I.D babbit? What is it worth? How important is it to have? Should one actively seek it out? Is it common? Where should I look for it?

Thanks for any and all answers.

Defcon-One
06-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Thinking I need a source of tin.

Get some Solder! 50/50 works great, the math is easy and it is only Tin and Lead.

There are many Babbitt alloys. Some common compositions are:

90% tin, 10% copper (Marginal)
89% tin, 7% antimony, 4% copper
80% lead, 15% antimony, 5% tin
76% copper, 24% lead (No Good)
75% lead, 10% tin
67% copper, 28% tin, 5% lead (No Good)

I do not know how to tell which formulation that you have, unless it is marked. A little Copper won't hurt, but more will be a problem.

The Linotype will supply some Tin and your Antimony. I still think Solder is a better option for additional Tin.

man.electric
06-11-2011, 11:11 AM
A local bearing company sells off their scrap Babbitt in 5,000 pound lots in an auction format annually. I am considering trying to organize a group buy of one of the 5,000 pound lots, once I see what the going rate is at auction.

dieguy59
06-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Okay, the copper content could be a killer. How can you test the content? I will also start looking around for solder. I just got a line on a retired electrical contracter. I will be visiting his shop.

Thanks.

bumpo628
06-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Okay, the copper content could be a killer. How can you test the content? I will also start looking around for solder. I just got a line on a retired electrical contracter. I will be visiting his shop.

Thanks.

Contact man.electric ^ ^
He sells 99% tin in the S&S forum sometimes.

shotman
06-12-2011, 02:06 AM
the high copper stuff is reused most times so you wont see much of it I have about 500lbs that a bearing rebuilder had . The guy I got it from said it was mix and most was in the range of 50% tin/ mix . He said the high copper stuff was reused because of the high cost and that it could be milled

JIMinPHX
06-12-2011, 04:53 AM
I don't think that you can identify the high copper content babbit by it getting reused. As I understand it, most babbit gets reused. After a babbit bearing wears out, it gets repoured. The mechanic just adds a little fresh material to the melt to bring the volume up as needed. At least, that is what some elevator mechanics told me several years ago.

I bought a small amount of low copper babbit from an industrial supplier. When I add it at 10-15% in my mix, it comes up a little over 30bnh immediately after water dropping.