PDA

View Full Version : Front site removal on No1 MkIII

d43p
06-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Would like to know if I drive out the pin, do I have to apply heat to the site band or just drive it off? It leans far to the left, would like to take the pin out and tap it plumb.

Thanks...........Don

HollowPoint
06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Don:

I just put my front site back together the other day after having it apart for about a year.

As I recall when I took it apart, the pin just drifted right out from left to right on my rifle. No heat was needed. Yours may be different but I doubt it.

If the pin is what helps keep the front sight centered in place and it is presently off-center, could it mean the the pin itself is possibly bent a little?

If you haven't already tried, you might be able to tap it back to center again even with the pin still in place. A couple of light taps should tell you if this will work or not. Tapping to hard may do more harm than good.

HollowPoint

303Guy
06-10-2011, 07:29 PM
The locating key is probably missing. The pin only stops the foresight from sliding off the barrel. And only a light tapping through a soft drift is needed to drive it off the barrel.

It the key is in place then something else is wrong and no amount of taping will turn it but if missing I would suggest either getting one or resetting the foresight with some epoxy. Don't use super high grade epoxy that requires heat to dislodge later. Fit a new pin that is straight or undamaged. If the key is in place and the fore-sight is skew then simply remove the key, forget the pin and glue that fore-sight on. You can use high strength loc-Tite but it is a bugger to get off. My suppressor breaks are held on with Loc-Tite and they don't move! Which is why I suggest lower grade epoxy's (they break down at lower temperatures).

303Guy
06-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Here are some pics.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/PIGGUN099.jpghttp://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/PIGGUN097.jpg

Multigunner
06-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Would like to know if I drive out the pin, do I have to apply heat to the site band or just drive it off? It leans far to the left, would like to take the pin out and tap it plumb.

Thanks...........Don

Be sure its actually leaning. The SMLE front sight base is off set to the left to compensate for bullet throw from action body flex, and spindrift of the lefthand twist rifling.
Also if there any slight twist in the fore end or a bent triggerguard that prevents the fore end from being tightened down evenly the nose cap can lean to one side making the sight appear to lean.

sights of over clocked replacement barrels lean to the left as well.
ts not uncommon for take off barrels to be used for rebarreling and these having had the shoulder pre- crushed will often over clock.

d43p
06-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the photo, it sure makes things easier. I have re-barreled a Martini-
Henry with the MKIII barrel, I could see how far askew it was before I started. Didn't want to heat it up before checking with the experts. It should be an easy fix, the epoxy sounds like the way to go. Thanks for all the info, will let you know how I make out.

Don

HollowPoint
06-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I wasn't paying attention. My Bad.

You clearly state, "No1 MkIII" on your thread title.

My Enfield is a No.4. Didn't realize it till I was the pics that 303 posted.

Opps:oops:

HollowPoint

303Guy
06-11-2011, 05:35 PM
The SMLE front sight base is off set to the left ...Aah! I can now see that in the pic. I didn't know!

d43p
06-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I did as 303 Guy said, drive the pin out and tap the site forward. Pretty easy, the Brits had good ideas. You were right about not being able to tap the base over, the key would have never moved. Thanks for all the help........

Don