PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #55 powder measure??

Tom-ADC
06-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Mine is the black powder one, I'd like to change the powder reservoir to a clear one for when I load smokeless powder. Probably not required but l would like to see the powder as I use it. Will the clear reservoir just screw into place?

onondaga
06-10-2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=100000

the product review on the page also:

Nice big capacity. The tube is not threaded and instructions said to heat gently before turning into place. I am going to recommend sanding a light bevel on the edge to help start with the turning into place also. That will make it easier for you. Do not overheat this item, it is thermoplastic like a clear plastic beverage bottle but nice and thick 1/16 inch.

Gary

Tom-ADC
06-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Cheap enough I'm going to order one. Hope it can be unscrewed also..
If I used my #55 as I do when I load BP I wouldn't bother but I'm using it in my Dillon 550 so I'd like to keep track of whats going on.

cajun shooter
06-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Tom, I use both the Lyman 55 BP and the RCBS BP measures. The RCBS has a hole in the top with a rod showing powder level. About two years ago I fixed my 55 so that it was easy to use with my BP or any other powder. You may use aluminum stock rather than wood but I used what I had on hand. Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center of the top for your 55. Cut a piece of 1/4 inch wooden dowel rod so that it will go from the bottom to about a 1 1/2 inches out the top. Take a RED Marker and mark the area that is above the top. Use a fender washer that will fit the 1/4 dowel and use JB Weld to stick it to the bottom of the dowel. This will allow enough surface to float on top of the powder and not sink into it. Make sure it is at least that large. After it has set, you simply push the dowel from the bottom of the top so that it is exposed. Fill your measure and you have nothing to do but glance at it to know the amount of powder in the measure. It takes longer to explain how to do it than the time to make it.

Tom-ADC
06-14-2011, 05:11 PM
David thanks great idea.Been out of town & no computer access.