PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mold upgrades: need direction please

milprileb
06-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I understand there is a member of this board who can take the BB out of my Lee 200 gr SWC H&G 68 clone. How do I find this member ?

Is there an upgrade of sprue plates for the Lee 6 cavity mold ?

Does anyone make a steel or brass mold of the same design as the
Lee 3 handle mold ?

357shooter
06-10-2011, 05:57 PM
To remove the BB look at: http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

Erik does great work. I'm sure that others here can do it as well, but that' who I used.

MtGun44
06-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I think that Buckshot might do this, also. He does other excellent machine
work.

Bill

MikeS
06-11-2011, 02:08 AM
I understand there is a member of this board who can take the BB out of my Lee 200 gr SWC H&G 68 clone. How do I find this member ?

Is there an upgrade of sprue plates for the Lee 6 cavity mold ?

Does anyone make a steel or brass mold of the same design as the
Lee 3 handle mold ?

I believe you're looking for member Buckshot. Just find a post by him, and send him a PM.

Why do you want to upgrade the sprue plate?

By a Brass or steel mould, are you talking about the #68, or are you talking about the cam actuated sprue plate cutter/handle? If you're talking about the #68, check the group buys. If you're talking about having the cam actuated cutter/handle, then I don't know, but I sure would like it! I know that Mihec uses a cam actuated sprue cutter on his 6 cavity aluminium moulds, so it might be possible to talk him into doing it on his 4 cavity brass moulds too (I was just thinking about this today) I was looking at my Lyman 4 cavity mould, but where the cam would have to mount isn't there, the sprue plate is cut at an angle! I was looking at some pictures of some old H&G moulds, and those sprue plates could be drilled & tapped and a cam added to them. If you ask me, it would make LOTS of sense to do that. I would imagine that Mihec used a better material for the cam than Lee does, so maybe he will sell the cam/handle by itself? Thinking about it, I'm going to look at my Lyman 4 cavity mould again, maybe a welder could weld on a nut where the hole should go, then I could buy a cam from either Mihec, or Lee and see how it does. If it doesn't work out, or if the welding ruins the sprue plate, I can buy a replacement from Midway.

milprileb
06-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Mike,

And how does one find Mihec ???

I would buy his aluminum six cavity 3 handle mold & handles if I could get HG 68 bullet w/o bevel.

leadman
06-11-2011, 04:30 PM
JiminPhx makes a steel sprue plate for the Lee 6 cavity, along with other molds. He should be able to take the bevel out also.

bhn22
06-11-2011, 05:25 PM
It's a lot of trouble & expense to make a $40.00 mould what you want it to be. I have never been a LEE fan. Spend another $25.00 on it & you're getting pretty close to the cost of a new BRP or NOE 4 cavity mould. BRP offers an H&G 68 as a regular cata log item.

http://brp.castpics.net/

MikeS
06-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Mike,

And how does one find Mihec ???

I would buy his aluminum six cavity 3 handle mold & handles if I could get HG 68 bullet w/o bevel.

To find Mihec moulds, just goto www.mp-molds.com

or to go directly to the mould you want, follow this link:

http://www.mp-molds.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=4&=SID

That should be exactly what you're looking for.

Sprue
06-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Taking the bevel out of a mold would be a 10 minute job max, for a lathesmith. Have any neighbors that have a lathe?

MikeS
06-13-2011, 05:43 AM
It's a lot of trouble & expense to make a $40.00 mould what you want it to be. I have never been a LEE fan. Spend another $25.00 on it & you're getting pretty close to the cost of a new BRP or NOE 4 cavity mould. BRP offers an H&G 68 as a regular cata log item.

http://brp.castpics.net/

The thing is, the person asking the question already has the Lee mould, so he's already spent the $40.00 for the mould, so spending an additional $25.00 is cheaper than buying another mould. The better question is, why do people buy BB moulds when they want a PB mould?

I personally like BB moulds, so wouldn't have a problem with the Lee mould. If I wasn't going to buy a Mihec #68 BB mould I would buy one of the Lee 6 cavity moulds (heck, they're cheap enough, I might anyway!)

bhn22
06-13-2011, 08:35 PM
I remain utterly amazed that people buy LEE moulds at all. I've seen people complain bitterly about the quality, then turn around and buy another one. Then, after getting the same results as before, brag about how much effort they went through to repair it. I'm beginning to feel the same way about Lyman too.

Lead Lug
06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I remain utterly amazed that people buy LEE moulds at all. I've seen people complain bitterly about the quality, then turn around and buy another one. Then, after getting the same results as before, brag about how much effort they went through to repair it. I'm beginning to feel the same way about Lyman too.

That can be half the fun. People who cast their own bullets are people who like to do things themselves. I can see why some people take great pride in modifying a mold to make it better or to do what they want.

bhn22
06-13-2011, 11:21 PM
I must be getting old. OK, I am getting old. Anyway, I'd rather buy something I don't have to screw with to get the results implied by the manufacturers specs. Now I only buy older Lyman moulds, and have come to prefer Ideal, the truth be known. I also buy custom moulds, figuring that they give me ******** rights if they don't perform. So far, I haven't had to raise my voice once. I kind of like that. As you can tell by the tone of my posts, LEE & I simply don't see eye to eye. At one point, everything I had was LEE. Anyway, enough highjacking- let's get back to the OPs issues.

MikeS
06-15-2011, 05:43 AM
bhn22, Not all Lee moulds need to have work done to them to work properly. I have a 6 cavity 452-230-TC, a truncated cone boolit for 45ACP, and the only 'work' I did to make it work was screw it onto a set of Lee handles! The first time I used it, it made pretty nice boolits that dropped right out without having to beat on the handles. The second time I cast with it, it worked fantastic, the boolits just about jumped out of the mould! Spending right around $50.00 for a 6 cavity mould and handles is a great value, so even if you have to do a few things to make it work better it's still worth it.

I have cast with Lee moulds, Lyman, SAECO, RCBS, and just tonight a MiHec 4 cavity brass mould. Some of them have issues that need taking care of before they would cast great boolits, some of them just worked fine right out of the packaging.

I'm starting to really like 4 & 6 cavity moulds, they give you a big pile of quality boolits real fast, with half the effort needed with a 2 cavity mould!

gray wolf
06-16-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't mind having to fiddle a little with a mold, but there comes a time when it is flat out ridicules. I have cast with some very nice, well made molds and it is a pleasure.
If I screw something up---well that's my fault, and I don't mind fixing it.
But it would be nice if the mold worked as advertised right out of the box.
Lee molds are known not to, so I guess if we get them we have to expect it may take some work on our part. Are you ready for that ? are you willing to do it ? If not then get a better quality mold. For me it's as simple as that.
being broke with 0 funds I don't have the problem, I don't have the problem with anything that has to be bought, cause I can't by anything. But if I could I would look for the least amount of problems. Hey fellas! who needs problems at 69 years old ?