PDA

View Full Version : has anyone seen pictures for adding motor to the Hornady LNL?

tackstrp
06-10-2011, 02:05 PM
has anyone seen pictures for adding motor or air to move the handle up and down for the Hornady LNL? Because of the way the handle is offset, I can't seem to visulize what needs to be done. Get pain in my neck and shoulder after a while, so I add automation to anything I can.

jmorris
06-10-2011, 05:02 PM
You would replace the handle automating it, put it at any angle you want. For tips look at the posness warren auto drive kit for the 650.

Cranium
06-10-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't know about your setup, but with my setup, I wouldn't even think about doing this.
I get periodic mis-feeds of cases into the shell plate that requiring manual intervention. While they only take a second to fix, it does require a brief pause in the process. In an automated process this could cause case crushing damage. But I'm loading only 9mm and have heard larger calibers don't have this issue. I also have periodic issues with the primer not seating but can normally catch this by feel.

Do you experience any periodic issues with case feeding or primer seating?

Cranium
06-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Use of an automated drive system such as the posness warren auto drive kit on a Dillon will void their warranty. You may want to check if Hornady has the same policy as well.

tackstrp
06-10-2011, 05:59 PM
well was thinking more in line with something to assist in lifting and lowering the handle. Do not have a case feeder or bullet feeder. Even feeding cases by hand can have one slip out of alignment. Primers, like you say can generally feel if something is wrong. I always tap the primer at least two times. Not looking for speed, just take the stress off my arthritis joints.

Cranium
06-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Gotcha.....I built a roller handle for mine as well as elevated the press to make it a bit more ergonomic and comfortable while standing in front or sitting at a stool. It is a small improvement but an improvement nonetheless.

If you don't find a good automation solution and like the roller handle you can buy one here: http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/02/22/hornady-lock-n-load-roller-handle/. Or if you are handy, you can make one, as I did, instead.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/108/hornadypressmods.jpg

jmorris
06-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Use of an automated drive system such as the posness warren auto drive kit on a Dillon will void their warranty. You may want to check if Hornady has the same policy as well.

The 1050 only has a 1 year warranty and my 650's along with the LNL with no primer pocket swage make them less than ideal for automation. In any case, they would only know you had an auto drive if you told them.

jmorris
06-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Are you loading pistol or rifle rounds?

tackstrp
06-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Are you loading pistol or rifle rounds?

pistol only

jmorris
06-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Many people don't lube pistol cases because they haven't tried it. Give it a shot, it makes a big difference.

LUBEDUDE
06-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Gotcha.....I built a roller handle for mine as well as elevated the press to make it a bit more ergonomic and comfortable while standing in front or sitting at a stool. It is a small improvement but an improvement nonetheless.

If you don't find a good automation solution and like the roller handle you can buy one here: http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/02/22/hornady-lock-n-load-roller-handle/. Or if you are handy, you can make one, as I did, instead.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/108/hornadypressmods.jpg

Nice!

I like your strong mount too, simple.

firebrick43
06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Jmorris is spot on. Didnt like how much effort the dillOn 650 was requiring so I tried some unique (hornady) which worked wonderful but due to the case feeder its hard to apply. Now I use hornady one shot (dillon has a equivalent product) and apply it before the shell go into the case feeder. The effort now is 1/4 of the effort required before. Also a roller handle helps as does standing and having the press so the handle is just slightly below your shoulder. By standing you can back up/move forward with your feet/ body which help alleviate some of the arm muscle/joint movement.

Ickisrulz
06-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Many people don't lube pistol cases because they haven't tried it. Give it a shot, it makes a big difference.

I tried it for the first time ever this weekend. My 4 year old was helping me re-size some 45 ACP. The sizing wax made a big difference. I think about every tenth case would keep the sizer lubed up fairly well.

tackstrp
06-18-2011, 02:06 AM
are we talking about lubing clean or dirty brass. Big difference between the two when sizing.

jmorris
06-18-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't reload dirty brass, not good on dies.

Take an old cardboard box and put a few handfulls of brass (250-300) in it, 2 squirts of Dilllon lube, shake it around and one more squirt for good measure and dump them into the case feeder.

tackstrp
06-18-2011, 10:41 AM
thanks jmorris . Got confused. or misread. I will never load enough to justtify a case feeder

jmorris
06-18-2011, 10:49 AM
In that case just pick them out of the box one at a time and put into the shell plate

Artful
06-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Cranium, nice WESCOG

I don't know if this will help but I run my brass thru a dillon and do it in the following order
1) deprime and if needed remove crimp (by swaging or cutting whatever method you use)
2) clean
3) prime (lee hand primer best feel and you can do in front of TV)
4) put in dillon which first station is carbide sizer without decapper
... next flares neck and drops powder
....next seats bullet
....last taper or roll crimps

run thru tumbler with dry media to get off bullet and sizing lube.

Ready to shoot.