PDA

View Full Version : CZ 82 9x18 Mak Cast

swenner64
06-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey just wanted to give an encouragement for all of you who own a CZ 82 about loading Cast. At first when I bought mine i did not load for it because I heard that the CZ-82 with Pargonal rifling would not work well with cast so I shot hundreds of round of S&B until I had about 300 brass in a bag begging to be reloaded. So I finally cautiously bought a set of Lee 9x18 dies and the .365 lee 90 mold for my gun and boy am I glad I did. The accuracy is better than with S&B factory rounds plus I am pushing them a little harder than S&B and am very happy with the results so much so that I am no longer buying factory loaded ammo for this gun. I generally use 3.8 grains of Hodgdon Universal. I don't have a chronograph so I am not sure of the velocity but they definitely feel stronger than the factory loads. I have never seen any leading using Lee Alox lube and accuracy is great. I would recommend this if you are on the fence to give it a try.

Rocky Raab
06-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm glad you're happy so far. But there's enough history showing lead bullets in POLYgonal rifling is a bad idea that I'd not try it. I'd load plated or jacketed if I had a polygonal bore.

Echo
06-11-2011, 01:33 PM
My problem with my CZ82 is that it launches the empties 'way over yonder, making recovery a pain.
How do you handle it?

leadman
06-11-2011, 05:45 PM
My friend is also shooting my boolits from the Lee Group Buy with no problems.

J&G Sales in Prescott is selling these guns with new USA made conventially made rifling.

Don't know if they sell the barrel seperate.

HARRYMPOPE
06-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I had a Glock 17 in about 1987 before the lead in poly rifling scare.i fired 10000 or more hard(Linotype) cast through it without a hitch.mine may have been the exception but i dont know.

HMP

res45
06-16-2011, 09:38 PM
My friend that I shoot with quiet a bit shoots nothing but the Lee 95 gr. RN bullet out of his CZ,he had just a slight bit of leading at the beginning,wasn't really an issue but once he got the lube and alloy worked out it became non existent.

Brass on the other hand is a different issue,those CZ-82's really throw the brass,good thing we make our own for once fired 9mm brass.

One way to recover your brass is to set up a catch net beside your shooting position to knock it down. There are various sizes of sport and agricultural netting you can buy to make the catch net,I made mine from some old enclosure netting off and old trampoline a storm destroyed. I just strung it on a cable and pull it out where it's needed at the shooting bench or along the firing line.

Wayne Smith
06-17-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm glad you're happy so far. But there's enough history showing lead bullets in POLYgonal rifling is a bad idea that I'd not try it. I'd load plated or jacketed if I had a polygonal bore.

Rocky, I know thar there is a lot of internet stuff saying this, and Glock added a huge amount to it, but I do not know of any experiential data showing problems that wasn't solvable with a silghtly bigger boolit. Remember that the original long range accuracy work was done with polygonal bores (Whitworth) with lead projectiles. These were swaged to fit, but still lead in a polygonal bore. Fit is King, here too.

I shoot mine with WWAC boolits, in my case the Mihec mold, and have no leading issues and good accuracy.

swenner64
06-20-2011, 06:48 AM
I know there is a lot of talk about Polygonal rifling and cast but I wonder if it is not just blustering. My CZ works fine with cast. Although most of the lead I get I pick from the range which is pretty hard bullet lead. I think the problem is if you do not have a hard source of lead.

MiHec
06-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Maybe off topic, but I still have 3 molds for Makarov left

LINK! (http://mp-molds.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=10)

Wayne Smith
06-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Maybe off topic, but I still have 3 molds for Makarov left

LINK! (http://mp-molds.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=10)

Good mold. I like mine. If you need one grab it.

Jal5
06-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Res45 I like that brass catcher idea and will have to try it. A lot easier than my tarp that I put up floor to ceiling from the roof of the range.

Joe

res45
06-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Res45 I like that brass catcher idea and will have to try it. A lot easier than my tarp that I put up floor to ceiling from the roof of the range.

Joe

Me and my shooting buddies strung it up in his back yard yesterday on a cable for keeps after trying it out for awhile to see how it worked. We ended up stringing it up about 9 ft. high which left about 2 ft. open on the bottom which is not a big deal the brass hits the net and drops right on the ground no more looking all over the yard anymore. When not in use you just slide it back like a shower curtain and strap it around the pole or tree it's attached to.

Were going to weight the bottom down in several places as well to help hold it nice and taut.

NickSS
06-22-2011, 04:16 AM
I read a lot about poly rifling and lead bullets being bad but I am the type that says show me. So I have a glock 17 and a Baby Eagle both with polly rifling so I loaded up several hundred rounds of cast 9mm with the bullets sized .358" lubed with 50-50 alox and bees wax and loaded with Unique to give me nearly 1200 fps. Bullets were lee 120 gr TC and made from ACWW. The results were no leading and as good accuracy as I get with jacketed bullets in the same guns. I probably have several thousand cast through both guns now and still have no issues. So what I say is all this internet hype is just that a lot of noise with no real basis that I can tell from my own use.

Jal5
06-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Anyone shooting Unique with the cz82 9x18 Mak?

Wayne Smith
06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Anyone shooting Unique with the cz82 9x18 Mak?

That's what I'm shooting, and with Miha's boolit.

zxcvbob
06-25-2011, 05:34 PM
I shoot lead in my CZ82 (I use Promo or International Clays, haven't tried Unique yet) I get no leading at all. Still using commercial cast bullets; when I use these up I might get a boolit mold.

fatelk
06-26-2011, 12:34 AM
I have used Unique in 9mm Mak in my CZ82, with Lee cast bullets. I don't remember the charge, would have to look it up.

The bullets cast heavy from the mold. Not a big deal but it bugged me so I milled a little off the top of the mold. They function and shoot great.

At first I tried tumble lubing, but got leading. I have tumble lubed other calibers with success, but couldn't get it to work right with this bullet. I was too cheap and in a hurry to get a proper-sized lube-sizer die, and the bullets dropped at exactly the right diameter, so I pan-lubed a bunch. They work perfectly with no leading. I don't push them for velocity though. I figure a load that shoots good, cycles the action, and approaches factory velocity is plenty good for me.

I don't worry much about the lead bullet in a polygon bore thing, but I do keep it in the back of my mind. It's a subject that's been beat to death time and time again on every reloading forum, and I'm firmly in the camp of do it right, watch for leading, and shoot all you want.

390ish
06-26-2011, 10:42 PM
stick with AA5 or AA7 and use lee data

Cannoneer
08-26-2011, 02:52 PM

This old wife's tale is a bunch of hooey. Polygonal rifling will shoot just fine using CAST BOOLITS. Any problems that occur come from shooting large quantities of lead bullets, (8K - 10K), without cleaning the barrel. Most, if not all of us that shoot lead bullets know that you have to have a clean bore to shoot accurately.

I have a Bulgarian MAK and would love to find a CZ82 to compare the accuracyof each using cast or plated/jacketed.

TCLouis
08-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Cannoneer

If one had any idea in the World you were located it might be possible to locate a CZ82 "nearby" but with no location, even down to the state level not likely anyone wants to guess where you might be