PDA

View Full Version : Staining laminate.

pdawg_shooter
06-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I have a Savage 116 with a laminate stock that is just UGLY. Has anyone sanded the finish of of one and stained it? Will it take stain evenly or will the glue in the laminates streak?

Naphtali
06-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I have bad news. Stained wood of laminated [birch] by Rutland Plywood - nearly all mass marketed long guns with laminated wood stocks are Rutland - stocks has been forced within and all the way through each laminate. Regardless what you do, you will not be able to "get beneath" the stain to unstained wood. The best you can hope for is to alter the look of stock's surface by overlaying stained wood.

Your options are: leave things alone; search for threads where owners have covered wood with things such as truck bedding compounds; buy a stock with an acceptable stain color.

Hope this clarifies things.

pdawg_shooter
06-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks guy, guess I will have to live with ugly. Dang thing just shoots to good to restock or sell.

Ben
06-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Have you thought about one of the Krylon Satin Camo color in a spray can ?

A good $5 to spend for a stock like you describe.

Ben

lavenatti
06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Try the polyurethane stains from Minwax. It puts an even coat on anything because it doesn't need to soak in. More coats = darker color and more protection.