PDA

View Full Version : 8MM Swedish Roller

Boz330
12-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Picked up a sporterized 8MM Swedish Roller and finally got some brass Friday and shot it yesterday morning. I used a 215 gr bullet from a Midsouth mold that actually weighed in at 237 from WW. I tried 20gr of 5744 and was very pleased with the initial groups, about 2 in at 65 yd. That happened to be where the bench was.
My question is has anyone tried BP in this round? I know it was originally a smokeless loading but thought it would be fun to try black. Any help appreciated.

Bob

Buckshot
01-01-2007, 10:50 PM
...............Should be no problems other then the attendant case cleaning. The first Brit 303's were loaded with BP and a couple other interim BN cartridges of that size were also.

.................Buckshot

powderburnerr
01-02-2007, 12:04 AM
bob
I got 165 gn bullets to work fair with a case full of black but they had to jump a long way .. 225 gn bullets would not touch the lands seated on top of my cases . I finally got a 50-70 barrel for it and it works a lot better.......Dean

Boz330
01-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Dean, I can get the bullet to engage the rifling but it only leaves about a half diameter in the case. I was really impressed with the initial groups using AA5744 considering the sights leave a lot to be desired, especially with my old eyes. I just thought it would be fun to try it on the 300 yd pigs with BP and of course and better sights. I was just thinking that the smaller bore might be more prone to fowling quicker. I haven't tried BP in anything with that small a bore before. I thought that this would make a fun deer gun with that bullet, it has a big meplat and should expand really nice in soft lead at BP velocities.
I had originally bought it with the idea of rebarreling it but the barrel cleaned up so nice I just hate to mess with it. And I still have an order in for one of the 12.7MMs. I really don't know why I'm attracted to the rollers because I think they are ugly looking, but then I like Martinis too.[smilie=1:

Bob

WBH
01-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Bob,
The only 8mm I had I pulled the barrel off. I have put a 45-70 and a 50-70 on two Swedes I have, and they shoot great. Of course after replacing the stocks with some Treebone wood and all the other work, they turned into a much larger project than I initially wanted. They do shoot great though. Try to pick up a NYS Militia 50-70 Remington Roller. Most have mint bores because they were never shot. Another fun gun to shoot.

powderburnerr
01-02-2007, 12:30 PM
\Bob
my barrel was in great shape but the throat was super long. I didnt have fouling problems with the 165s and they shot into 2 inches at 75 yds but were almost off the base of the target after 10 rnds or so tha accuracy would leave but a wipe with a patch would restore it ... maybe wiping between shots with the small bore would be the way to go . ..1F burned cleaner than 2F... by the by.....Dean

Boz330
01-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Dean, were you shooting Goex or Swiss? I have 1 1/2F, 2F, & 3F Swiss which tends to be cleaner than Goex, so might not be to bad, and a blowtube might help.

Andy, the biggest thing about the Swedish rollers is the price. You would be hard pressed to find a NYS 50-70 for the $200 they are getting for the Swedes. You are right on one count though, I already have projects aplenty.
BTW Hoff just retired, called a few minutes ago to let me know he was casting bullets and was going to the range after that. Not twisting the knife to much. His reality check was turning in the company car and gas credit card. HE HE![smilie=1:

Bob

WBH
01-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Bob,
Now that he is retired, maybe you can get him to try that lube I gave to you to give him. I have a couple of National magazines that promise to test it and perhaps run a little "new products" spread on it. That would be a great free promo.

powderburnerr
01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Bob
I actually tried Goex Kik and swiss as I have all three . and goex 1Fwas the cleanest of all . Blowtubing did help but at 10 rnds it still needed wiping.. couldnt get it to burn clean like my 45- 110 no matter what I tried. ....Dean

jim4065
01-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Sorry for jumping in like this but I'm just getting started in casting for CF cartridges. I've been looking for a "big" roller or martini and had to notice the "$200 for Swedes" comment. Where? Been checking GunBroker and AuctionArms but haven't seen anything decent for under $400. Did buy a 310 Cadet that I'm planning on getting a lot of use out of - but it doesn't qualify as BIG, does it?
They do have a couple of 43 Spanish guns on AA right now, but I can't see 'em under $400 - though I'm hoping. Am I looking in the wrong places? We don't have many gun shows around here, so I haven't been to one in years. Sure would appreciate some info.

WBH
01-06-2007, 01:07 PM
You are correct on the price of the RB rifles. They have gone up considerably in the last few years. It is almost impossible to find a good one for under $400, with many going in the $600 range. A good action will bring $300+. Most will need the face squared and the firing pin and trigger worked. John King has done a few for me and I can only rave about his work. Just be willing to wait 6 months to a year.
The only rifle I have that is all original is a NYS Militia 50-70 with a mint bore. All the rest have been bought just for the actions. The Swedes might go for a little less, as they cannot be used in BPCR competition. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Boz330
01-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Jim, I got my RB from KEBCO. They occasionally get sporterized Swedes in and sell them for about what the actions are worth. They are in 12.7MM and 8MM. The ones he got in this last time were sold out in less than a day. As Ken put it, it was like selling popcorn at the movies. This last time he sold the 12.7MMs for $200 and the 8MMs for $250. I was actually looking for a 12.7 but was to late and got an 8MM that had a broken and welded tang. It shot so well with the first try I'm not going to try and rebarrel it to something else.
The 8MMs are converted from 12.7MM rimfire and they re-heat treat the receiver and convert them to CF and install a new hammer. This was a stopgap measure till the bolt guns came online in the late 1800s. The original military configuration guns bring $700 to a $1000 depending on condition. Here is a website that explanes the differences.
http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/rb.html
I wouldn't consider the Cadet as big bore but they sure as heck are bunch of fun to shoot. I got on a Martini kick a year or so back and have a 577-450, a 303, a Cadet, a model 12, and 2 small actions in progress. One 357 and a 7MM Waters.
From what I've seen on the auction sites it is pretty hard to slip up on a good deal and the same thing goes for gunshows anymore. One of the beauties of these old guns (pre 98) is that they can be shipped direct. Good Luck.

Bob

13Echo
01-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Simpson's has a bunch of Scandahovian rolling blocks including some originally made by Remington. No $200 rifles but several under $400 with really nice actions. Their stock includes rimfire, centerfire, conversions to the 8X58r and .318 cartridges, as well as numerous Rolling Block shotguns. The shotgun actions are really intriguing, very smoothly contoured, almost dainty. I suspect they would make a very interesting project. At any rate I got one of the $395 rifles. The stock was kindling, the barrel a wreck but the action nearly factory new. It's off getting turned into a midrange rifle.

try this url http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=22_43_154&sort=2a&page=1

WBH
01-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Don't buy the shotguns for a CF rifle conversion. The receivers do not make for a safe conversion.

SharpsShooter
01-06-2007, 06:32 PM
What is the measurement for this case 8x????? Since it is a bottleneck, I am curious about compression.

SS

Boz330
01-06-2007, 07:28 PM
I got the cases from Buffalo Arms and they made them from stretched 45-70 cases. I would think that 45-90 cases would be perfect if you had a way to size them down. The cases are 58 MM long.

Bob

SharpsShooter
01-07-2007, 09:19 AM
If you use Goex Express or Cartridge grade, they seem to like a good bit of compression to get a clean burn. At least this is true in straight walled cases. I'd be interested in your results with Black Powder.

SS

powderburnerr
01-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I vibrated the cases to get compression but wasnt happy with the results .I didnt compress below the neck and didnt try grease cookies or paper patch bullets . the 200 gn bullets fouled worse than the 165s for some reason and I had a lot of trouble with cases coming apare at the shoulder . actually shot a couple down range as they were not in the rifle after firing. . I gave up on black in it as it seemed to need more dedication than I wanted to spend on it. I am a lot happier with the 50-70 barrel . .................Dean

6pt-sika
01-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Simpson's has a bunch of Scandahovian rolling blocks including some originally made by Remington. No $200 rifles but several under $400 with really nice actions. Their stock includes rimfire, centerfire, conversions to the 8X58r and .318 cartridges, as well as numerous Rolling Block shotguns. The shotgun actions are really intriguing, very smoothly contoured, almost dainty. I suspect they would make a very interesting project. At any rate I got one of the $395 rifles. The stock was kindling, the barrel a wreck but the action nearly factory new. It's off getting turned into a midrange rifle.

try this url http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=22_43_154&sort=2a&page=1

I'd kinda like one of the sporterized 8x58R's . However are they safe to shoot ?

13Echo
01-19-2007, 10:21 PM
6pt
The 8X58r have "new" (new in 1889) blocks and hammers and re-heat treated receivers and are made of good steel and are quite strong. If you don't get crazy I suspect you could safely load them to about equal a .30-40. I was really pleased with how tight my action was and its overall good condition. Cases are available from Buffalo arms.

Jerry Liles

crossfireoops
01-19-2007, 10:33 PM
This fellow here ( nice guy) has some spare extractors, fro the '89s. Mine appeared
to be N.O.S.

link: http://www.kebcollc.com/

I really like the original "Rotary" extractor as in the originals, but haven't had any problems with the rather unique Swede '89 extractor.

A great price ($20.00), for a part that I can make, but relly hope I never have to.

GTC